Ive found a Low Calorie and Low Carb Rice alternative!! Yey!

Options
13»

Replies

• makaiya
    makaiya Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yes, cauliflower is very versatile...............makes a good pizza crust, rice substitution (husband prefers this when I make stuffed peppers) and mash it for mashed potato substitute.

Wait, how do you make your stuffed peppers? I've wanted to make stuffed peppers, but need something really good to stuff them with that does not include rice. I don't really like rice, save for a few things I have to have it with, like rice and beans.
  • mbow1977
    mbow1977 Posts: 213
    Options
    I actually agree. I am so tired of people thinking good carbs are evil! You need carbs in the form of good not refined. Brown rice is good for you in small portions just dont go all crazy eating a giant portion! On the other side of the fence i do tend to like riced cauliflower it's different but it will never replace rice for me just a different way to eat cauliflower.
    My favorite kind of rice is............Rice. White, Brown, Yellow, Purple, Blue, it doesn't matter.

If I wanted cauliflower I would eat Cauliflower. This is almost as bad as substituting pizza dough with cauliflower. *sigh*

And the point in your post was, I was simply trying to help others

I love rice too but on my diet it has way too many carbs and calories so if there is an alternative that doesnt taste too disimilar then Ill eat it, you dont have to?

I'm pretty sure I made my point in my post. You posted a topic. I posted my opinion on it. I'm pretty sure that's how things work, welcome to the internet. If you don't like my opinion then that's fine with me. No need to get sensitive.

Go Rice!!!!

Gotta love a good idiot.

Yes. I do love myself. Thanks.

again , this is a post for people looking for low carb, not looking for anti-low carb views.

Amen lol! Jeez, I have nothing against carbs, but at this stage in my diet I need to have a higher ratio of protein to carbs as I am in the final stage of my cutting, once thats done then I will be upping my carbs. Im well aware that carbs arent bad, I sound like a broken record here but this post was supposed to help people like myself who are looking for lower carb alternatives.

Rant over lol
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Forgive me if you already know about this one, but as a lover of chillis and curries rice can be a big pain on a low calorie and low carb diet, however I found an alternative on another forum last night, I was sceptical but tried it last night with chilli and it was actually great!!

The secret is cauliflower!! Yes I said cauliflower.....

Simply grate the cauliflower florets finely so that it kind of looks like rice, place it into a microwaveable bowl and microwave for 4-5 minutes and hey presto pretend rice!!!!

Yes, cauliflower is very versatile...............makes a good pizza crust, rice substitution (husband prefers this when I make stuffed peppers) and mash it for mashed potato substitute.

So how do you make a pizza base with cauliflower and does it taste ok?

Here is the recipe that I have used for some time.............It tastes fabulous!!

http://www.eatingbirdfood.com/2012/09/healthy-pizza-with-a-cauliflower-crust/
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Wait, how do you make your stuffed peppers? I've wanted to make stuffed peppers, but need something really good to stuff them with that does not include rice. I don't really like rice, save for a few things I have to have it with, like rice and beans.

Parboil 4 peppers after cutting them open and taking the seeds and white skin out of the inside.

Heat oven to 375

I don't measure anything, so I just throw a bit of this and that in when I chop up the veggies.

I brown 1 lb of grass fed hamburger and add onion, minced garlic carrot, chopped spinach and riced cauliflower to the hamburger when the hamburger is near done. Salt and pepper to taste....

Mix tomato sauce in with the meat and vegetable mixture and then spoon into the peppers. Top with additional tomato sauce and in the oven it goes for about 20-30 minutes.

My husband prefers the stuffed peppers this way over the traditional way with rice as he says the veggies add a lot more flavor to the meal.
  • sheirahope
    Options
    My favorite rice substitute is texturized vegetable protein. It tastes just like the real thing and its easier to make than cauliflower rice. You just put a little in a bowl in the microwave. 1part tvp and 1 part rice. You can get a good sized bag at whole foods for $4.
  • sheirahope
    Options
    Sorry I meant 1 part tvp 1 part water.
  • angie235235
    Options
    I love mashed swede and carrot topped with a good curry works well!
  • juliros
    juliros Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'll try it x
  • slouw10
    slouw10 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Never even thought of it...but I will definitely try it! Thank you for the tip!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I actually agree. I am so tired of people thinking good carbs are evil! You need carbs in the form of good not refined. Brown rice is good for you in small portions just dont go all crazy eating a giant portion! On the other side of the fence i do tend to like riced cauliflower it's different but it will never replace rice for me just a different way to eat cauliflower.
    My favorite kind of rice is............Rice. White, Brown, Yellow, Purple, Blue, it doesn't matter.

If I wanted cauliflower I would eat Cauliflower. This is almost as bad as substituting pizza dough with cauliflower. *sigh*

And the point in your post was, I was simply trying to help others

I love rice too but on my diet it has way too many carbs and calories so if there is an alternative that doesnt taste too disimilar then Ill eat it, you dont have to?

I'm pretty sure I made my point in my post. You posted a topic. I posted my opinion on it. I'm pretty sure that's how things work, welcome to the internet. If you don't like my opinion then that's fine with me. No need to get sensitive.

Go Rice!!!!

Gotta love a good idiot.

Yes. I do love myself. Thanks.

again , this is a post for people looking for low carb, not looking for anti-low carb views.

Amen lol! Jeez, I have nothing against carbs, but at this stage in my diet I need to have a higher ratio of protein to carbs as I am in the final stage of my cutting, once thats done then I will be upping my carbs. Im well aware that carbs arent bad, I sound like a broken record here but this post was supposed to help people like myself who are looking for lower carb alternatives.

Rant over lol

I love cauliflower rice. carbs aren't evil, but if I have the choice between 700g of cauli and 1/4 cup of cooked brown rice, i'll be choosing the 700g cauli. I wouldn't even need the 700g cauliflower....I could save the carbs for something else!

I love adding a little chopped spring onion, herbs and spices - to suit whatever cuisine i'm cooking.

for cauli mash/puree I love steaming the cauli with a bit of leek and garlic cloves before whizzing in the food processor. the leek adds a little sweetness
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    You all should head on over to Low Carb Friends. TONS of recipes and ideas for lowering carbs - seriously huge amount.
  • juliros
    juliros Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Made a great cauliflower pizza base yesterday with roasted veg and a little goats cheese topping and it was really tasty. No, not quite as good as the real thing but was amazed at what a good low carb alternative it was. Am going to try dry fried cauliflower rice next with a low fat curry sauce. Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow with such a great tip. :flowerforyou: