Am I the only one that uses this app to gain weight??

Options

Replies

• panzerduff
    panzerduff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    MFP bulker reporting in.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm bulking. 250 calories a day over maintenance after a few weeks of 500 over.
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Currently bulking too! Slow and steady for now
  • R0asted
    R0asted Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I bulk about 9 months of the year typically and cut for 3 but I do not have the patience to count cals when bulking. I feel your pain though. I need to bulk on 4500+. I am currently cutting on 3300-3500 and my weight is dropping like a rock and is so easy. Probably around 8-9% bf already and I've been cutting very loosely for like a month only.
  • AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    I'm using it to gain weight only because I started off underweight with poor muscle tone :laugh:

I started at 104 lbs, I assume I'll be 107 or so now. I've been strength training. I plan on going up to 115-120 & maintaining from there. I'm not bulking in the bulking/ cutting sense, though. :smile:
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    OP you are not alone.
  • snowbike
    snowbike Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Just finished a small bulk now on a cut.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    no, not at all.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I use it for both... gaining and losing. I bulk and cut through the winter and more or less maintain through the summer (race season)

Bulk is usually netting around 2600 cals for me, depending on how "sloppy" I am being with it.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    How rapid a bulk are you going for?
    1-2 pounds a week would be nice and to stay under 12% body fat as well but not sure how well that will work. I may have to sacrifice the abs for the sake of muscle.

1-2 lbs a week is way too fast imo.

2lbs a week is the equivalent of 104lbs a year!!! way over half of that would be fat at that rate.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Nope. I originally started out using it to lose weight, but after I hit my goal loss (27-ish lbs) I've switched it up to putting some weight back on. Gained around 3-4 lbs so far. I'm easing into it very slowly... Up-ing my calories by 100 every week or two until I'm up around 2400
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    1-2 pounds a week would be nice and to stay under 12% body fat as well but not sure how well that will work. I may have to sacrifice the abs for the sake of muscle.

2lbs a week is the equivalent of 104lbs a year!!! way over half of that would be fat at that rate.

take into account water and glycogen stores that come with greater lean muscle mass
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I was for a while. Mostly watching amout of protein I was consuming. Tacked on about 27lbs
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

take into account water and glycogen stores that come with greater lean muscle mass

thats going to be minimal,

Even 1lb a week is high, think about how much lean muscle tissue a natural can actually gain in 12 months. It's certainly not anywhere near 52lbs.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I love this thread, lots of eye candy!
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

thats going to be minimal,

Even 1lb a week is high, think about how much lean muscle tissue a natural can actually gain in 12 months. It's certainly not anywhere near 52lbs.

according to research, I can't remember where I found it but its possible to build 0.5lb of pure muscle tissue per week. not including water or glycogen. However, putting on muscle is not linear and progress will slow. so I doubt he will be putting on 104lbs in a year.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    The number I heard (not sure how generally it applies or how accurate) was 30grams a day...
    Scaled up that would be about 24pounds a year.

If you could do 100 pounds in a year, that would equate to 120grams a day, and that seems unlikely...
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm another one who isn't trying to lose weight.

I'm not strictly into bulking and cutting though, just monitoring my weight, and making sure I hit weight for competitions, although I'm moving up a weight class at the moment, so I'm sort of bulking I guess.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read says 1lb per month is a reasonable goal for most people. Some people can/will gain faster, some will gain slower depending on a variety of variables... but 1lb per month is a realistic goal for most.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read says 1lb per month is a reasonable goal for most people. Some people can/will gain faster, some will gain slower depending on a variety of variables... but 1lb per month is a realistic goal for most.

I'd agree with this.
    My plan to move from 94kg to 105kg class was to do it over 2 years, which is about this rate.