Eating back your burned calories??

Options
13»

Replies

• foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    If you feel hungry having the extra calories from the exercise will help. If you don't feel hungry don't use them.

Unless you know the OP, this is bad advice. If I ate when I was hungry, and ate until I wasn't hungry... I'd never stop eating. Relying on hunger to determine if/when you should eat is fine for some, but terrible for others.

Thank you for all the advice guys! And used to it would have been horrible because I was always hungry BUT now I eat normally around 800 calories and then work out in the mornin and at night. I'm full and satisfied throughout the day so I'm a little confused about what to do.

First, stop working out. Second, eat more calorie dense foods - full fat dairy, beef, nuts/seeds... cook with oil, etc.

wait...did you just say stop working out? i wouldn't go that far :p

You shouldn't be working out if you are eating 800 calories!
  • green022
    green022 Posts: 115
    Options
    If you feel hungry having the extra calories from the exercise will help. If you don't feel hungry don't use them.

Unless you know the OP, this is bad advice. If I ate when I was hungry, and ate until I wasn't hungry... I'd never stop eating. Relying on hunger to determine if/when you should eat is fine for some, but terrible for others.

Thank you for all the advice guys! And used to it would have been horrible because I was always hungry BUT now I eat normally around 800 calories and then work out in the mornin and at night. I'm full and satisfied throughout the day so I'm a little confused about what to do.

First, stop working out. Second, eat more calorie dense foods - full fat dairy, beef, nuts/seeds... cook with oil, etc.

It was ordered by my doctor to lose weight quickly, 800 cal is what I chose to do. I have been eating and losing weight with that while still being able to build muscle. I've gotten 20lbs off and I want to start doing this for the long haul now instead of fast and quick.
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Probably.

When you calculated your goal of 1200, did you factor in exercise into your activity setting? If so, you don't need to eat them back. If not, you should be eating them back. IMO, at 1200 per day, you should be eating them back regardless.

And no... not everyone is different. We aren't all little snowflakes. Our bodies are remarkably similar. Give it a healthy deficit and you'll lose weight. Give it an unhealthy deficit and you may or may not lose weight, but given enough time, bad things will happen.

Read these for more info...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/383956-exercise-calories-explained
    and
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

great advice-thanks!
  • akhilton
    Options
    Thats great thanks!

I did a run today - Endo says its 1300+ calories, even if it has over estimated that is an awful lot to try and eat back in one day!
    I find this hard also.

Some days I burn 1000+ calories if I do a long run, that would mean I should eat 2100 calories - but I just don't feel like I could.

Do people think it's OK to average some of that out? so use the long run calories burnt to absorb any days where you go over by a few?

Yea, that's generally fine. Our bodies are pretty adaptive and you won't see any meaningful changes on a day-to-day basis. Looking at things weekly is a far better approach.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Thats great thanks!

I did a run today - Endo says its 1300+ calories, even if it has over estimated that is an awful lot to try and eat back in one day!
    I find this hard also.

Some days I burn 1000+ calories if I do a long run, that would mean I should eat 2100 calories - but I just don't feel like I could.

Do people think it's OK to average some of that out? so use the long run calories burnt to absorb any days where you go over by a few?

Yea, that's generally fine. Our bodies are pretty adaptive and you won't see any meaningful changes on a day-to-day basis. Looking at things weekly is a far better approach.

If you know you are going to have a big burn, then you work those cals into the entire day. If you try to eat them back only after the workout, you could have a hard time, especially if you workout later in the day. Also, don't forget about the bigger picture. If you don't get them all eaten in 1 day, eat them back over a couple of days. It's much more important to have your cals right over a week's time than it is over a day's time.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

It was ordered by my doctor to lose weight quickly, 800 cal is what I chose to do. I have been eating and losing weight with that while still being able to build muscle. I've gotten 20lbs off and I want to start doing this for the long haul now instead of fast and quick.

You've gained muscle eating 800 calories?

What weights programme have you been following?