I realized something just now.

Options

Replies

• RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    There are certainly some people who do think those things, but there are also some people who would be thinking the praise thoughts as well. But mostly people are just thinking about themselves, or what other people think about them.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    "You call yourself Fat Amy ?
    Yes, so twig b****es like you don't do it behind my back."

LOVE this movie!
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Someone told me there were Twinkies here.

*looks around*

Crap.
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I think some of this is in your head. I used to feel that way to, but then I realized, most ppl dont think about me at all. It was my own psychosis.

Wolf is right on this being in your head.....I don't judge the thin guy for needing to bench press the empty bar I think good for him for working out
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it kind of seem like "fat" people can't do anything right by some "skinny" people?

Like, when I work out in front of skinny people, I can just tell some of them are thinking, "What is she doing here? Shouldn't she be at home eating Twinkies and watching Oprah?"

I feel the same thing when I go to a restaurant and order healthy, or go to the store and buy healthy things. Shouldn't people be thinking, "Wow, good for her!"

I dunno. That was just a random thought. Maybe that's just the social anxiety talking :p

Also, this isn't all skinny people. Just some people.

I've never heard such a thing!

I'm going to bet it's entirely social anxiety.
  • wdwgirl3
    wdwgirl3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The best gift you an give yourself is to stop caring what strangers think of you! I am 40 and joined a gym for the first time in my life last year. I was TERRIFIED of those "skinny" people and what they would be thinking about me. Well, I got over myself and focused on why I was there....I was there for ME , not someone who is younger,skinner or prettier than me. Now i really don't give a rat's *kitten* and love the gym!
  • jenn_may
    jenn_may Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You can't really know the answer to this thought unless you walk up to them and ask. I really do feel it is mostly in our heads. I also feel judged by people thinner than me when I am at the gym, but I know that is a character flaw within myself. It has nothing to do with what they really think about you because when I see someone bigger than me at the gym I am super impressed and happy for them. You can never know what someone is thinking so I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    People are not thinking about you as much as you think. I know I don't go around thinking about what others should do or not do.

this
  • beaglelover12
    Options
    My Grandma always says, "Don't flatter yourself. They're not thinking about YOU!" Haha. She cracks me up. Personally, I think "YOU GO GIRL/BOY!" anytime I see someone working out regardless of their size. Even if they are thinking these things about you, screw them. It doesn't matter what they think - you know that you are doing the best you can.
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it kind of seem like "fat" people can't do anything right by some "skinny" people?

Like, when I work out in front of skinny people, I can just tell some of them are thinking, "What is she doing here? Shouldn't she be at home eating Twinkies and watching Oprah?"

I feel the same thing when I go to a restaurant and order healthy, or go to the store and buy healthy things. Shouldn't people be thinking, "Wow, good for her!"

I dunno. That was just a random thought. Maybe that's just the social anxiety talking :p

Also, this isn't all skinny people. Just some people.

I'm betting more often than not the "skinny" people at the gym looking at you are thinking, "Damn it, I lost count of my reps. Did I pay the electric bill? I wonder what I should have for dinner. Hmmm, kids haven't text me saying they are home, I should find out." OR "It's nice to see her working out. I remember my first days in the gym, good for her!"

Most of the time we are wondering or assuming negative things from others because IT'S ALL IN OUR HEADS. Our expectations of ourselves are skewed, so if we think we are not "skinny" then we don't rate.

My recent conversation with a trainer he kept saying, "You want to get sexy right?" By the 4th time he said this I told him, "I am sexy. I'm not doing this for anyone but me, I DON'T GIVE A CRAP about what anyone thinks of me working out, in this gym." He has since stopped asking if I want to get sexy. He has now started in with the, "I'm the booty master, we'll get your butt nice and toned." *sigh* He IS good at what he does, just stupid with his mouth.

Hang in there dollface, You're on a mission, people want to support you, here and at the gym. :)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    You are projecting your insecurities on to others. Unless, of course, you are a mind reader.

Maybe I am, hm? :D

Lol then stop wasting time at the gym and use this gift for profit!
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    yeah, totally feel judged by 110 pound girls who barely break a sweat at the gym. sucks

The funny thing is, the 100 pound girls you're talking about are probably in worse shape than you are. They're just skinny so it's "okay"
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I don't know about specific thoughts, but I did once have, at gym I was a member of, an instructor teaching yoga attempt to suppress her laughter at me doing yoga stances at ~245 pounds...and YES, It was me she was laughing at.

I didn't end my gym membership, but I never went through a yoga session with her again, I joined a "real" yoga studio.
  • kimmeyjo
    kimmeyjo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Over 10 yrs ago, I was probably the healthiest I've been since I graduated high school. I was skinny in high school, but not healthy. I had just finished running a marathon 2 months before I went on vacation and I decided I was confident enough to wear a bikini ( I was 132 lbs). I had so many young girls look at me and actually mouthed in front of me that "that girl shouldn't be wearing a bikini" I wanted to smack her, but what she didn't realize I was 30 lbs heavier just 6 months before. Skinny girls don't realize the things they say until someone is saying or looking at them the way they have done to others.

Now that I have been in the obese range, when I get to my goal I will probably wear another bikini no matter how fat I look in it as long as I'm comfortable and confident and nobody better say anything about how bad I look. I'm not near as nice as I use to be and it could get ugly.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    1. Not everybody sees people as Fat or Skinny. I know I dont.

2. "Skinny" people dont care about fat people, they only care about even skinner people and go " hmm is she thinner than me"?

3. You shoudnt care what other people think, you belong there as much as anybody else, you pay the same price as everybody else
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    yeah, totally feel judged by 110 pound girls who barely break a sweat at the gym. sucks

The funny thing is, the 100 pound girls you're talking about are probably in worse shape than you are. They're just skinny so it's "okay"

HA HA...so you are judging the thin girls

classic
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Also, twinkies do still exist, well, we've got them here in the UK anyway :smile:
    om nom
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Most of it is definitely in your head and you are projecting your own negativity. You just have to keep convincing yourself that no one really cares about what you're doing, they're focused on their own thing and could care less. And if they are thinking about you, they may very well be thinking good thoughts as others have pointed out. As long as no one's actually saying anything to you, you have aboslutely no idea of what they're actually thinking about you or anything/anyone else. Learn to let it go....

As a side note...let's be realistic, there will always be arseholes who do pick on people for their weight...
    BUT why the hell would you care what some arsehole thinks of you anyway? Even if someone does say something, just laugh at them, give them the finger and walk the other way. They're not worth your time or energy.
  • JOANNEMCD123
    Options
    To quote the famous Dr. Seuss,

Those who mind don`t matter and those who matter don`t mind! or something like that. lol
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    I think some of this is in your head. I used to feel that way to, but then I realized, most ppl dont think about me at all. It was my own psychosis.

Yup this!