REALLY? Are you kidding me?

Options
I lost my job over 2 years ago and the first thing I did was go home, pull on a pair of old sweats, turn on the tv and sit on the couch. I haven't done much since. I knew I was gaining weight because I was eating things that had not been a part of my normal diet for years...This morning 3 things happened that just might get me off the couch...I was looking through Christmas pictures and came across a particular one that I didn't recognize. It was ME! I went in search of the scales and was appalled! I took my measurements and almost cried. I've gained close to 60 lbs! I sat on the couch and just kept repeating to myself, REALLY? Are you kidding me? (I thought maybe 25-30) Then an ad for MFP came on tv, I grabbed my computer and here I am. I've been depressed for months over many things but I know to get out of this slump, this weight has to come off. I'm leaving now and going to a local consignment shop with all my sweats and sleep pants and trade them in for some fat jeans. I know getting out of the sweats is my first step. Right now I'm motivated and determined...but I know I'm going to need a lot of support and encouragement. Good Luck and Thanks to all for hearing me out and so nice to meet everyone!:noway:

Replies

• Nixie_Pixie
    Options
    Good luck! You can absolutely do it if you put your mind to it! :-)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Absolutey get rid. Elastic is not your friend. Getting dressed in real clothes every day is a huge motivator to get moving, too.
  • Jscanland
    Jscanland Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    GO GIRL!!!!!!!! add me if you like!
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,815 Member
    Options
    good luck on your journey and feel free to add me if you like
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I gained around fifty pounds without realizing it because I worked from home and wore yoga pants and pajama pants all the time. It was really easy to blame the tighter fit on, "Well, I must have left them in the dryer too long."

Now, I get rid of my fat jeans as soon as they're too big on me. If my current jeans start to get tight, I know it's time to re-evaluate my eating and buckle down. Having fat jeans around makes it too easy to pull them out of the closet and ignore the real issue.
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Step one, done, great job :) Weight does sneak up since you see it every day, it seems gradual. Hope this site works for you. add me if ya like :)
  • babyzoe0114
    Options
    good luck and I feel yeah the same thing kinda happened to me after I had my daughter, I thought maybe I gained like 40 pounds and it ended up being like 100. It terrible once you realize what has really happend. I am going to gastic bypass in March, but you are on the right track and sounds like you are moving forward. Take care and good luck
  • cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    iv been on here for almost a year and it helps being accountable even if its just to yourself and how many calories we inhale.
  • stephaniecaine82
    stephaniecaine82 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Good luck hun! You can do it! I know it is hard, but just one pound at a time! You can add me if you would like!
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm down 88 pounds in 5 months and will lose another 100+ pounds this year (at 2 per week). I'm here for the long haul and VERY motivated. Let me know if I can help. Friend me if you like.

Scott R. in Houston, Tx.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    YAY! Congrats on joining! This is a great way to track everything and stay motivated and get good tips!
    (I didn't realize there were MFP commercials on TV)
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting! You can add me if you want.
  • Clarkesa
    Clarkesa Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    you've made a start, good luck on your journey. feel free to add me for support and motivation.

Sarah
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    MFP Will change your life- as long as you stick to it!! There's an AMAZING support system here, so don't be afraid to ask for help (even though some people can be a little grouchy- they're just hungry :wink: ) Feel free to add me!! and CONGRATS ON STARTING!
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I lost my job over 2 years ago and the first thing I did was go home, pull on a pair of old sweats, turn on the tv and sit on the couch. I haven't done much since. I knew I was gaining weight because I was eating things that had not been a part of my normal diet for years...This morning 3 things happened that just might get me off the couch...I was looking through Christmas pictures and came across a particular one that I didn't recognize. It was ME! I went in search of the scales and was appalled! I took my measurements and almost cried. I've gained close to 60 lbs! I sat on the couch and just kept repeating to myself, REALLY? Are you kidding me? (I thought maybe 25-30) Then an ad for MFP came on tv, I grabbed my computer and here I am. I've been depressed for months over many things but I know to get out of this slump, this weight has to come off. I'm leaving now and going to a local consignment shop with all my sweats and sleep pants and trade them in for some fat jeans. I know getting out of the sweats is my first step. Right now I'm motivated and determined...but I know I'm going to need a lot of support and encouragement. Good Luck and Thanks to all for hearing me out and so nice to meet everyone!:noway:
    Wow, Your story sounds a lot like mine. Same-thing, l lost my job only I sat around about 4 yr, a lot of things happened that kept me from going back to work. Not sure how much I gained. I did have alot of peaks & valleys. I would love to have you as a friend. Maybe we can help keep each other on track : )
  • fabandfunat51
    fabandfunat51 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Absolutey get rid. Elastic is not your friend. Getting dressed in real clothes every day is a huge motivator to get moving, too.

THIS!!! Welcome, and add me as a friend if you like. . . you totally CAN do this!

Ann Marie
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    add me if you want. sorry about all of it. but here you weill learn to make many good decisions. that means many small victories. that means you WILL feel better about yourself. You WILL learn to make daily progress and you WIll learn to set small achievable goals. keep 2 pairs of sweats to work out in tho. 1 for walking/exercise & one for the wash :)
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Yes, not ripping the thighs out of all of my work pants is a good motivator. It's crazy! You can do it!! Welcome.
  • icemann78x
    icemann78x Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me. We had a kid and a year later I was 70 lbs up. It wont be easy but "If it doesn't challenge you it doesn't change you."
    Using this app to simply see how what we eat affects us is truly eye opening. Keep the faith.
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking your first step and welcome! It's all about logging everything you eat (including the bad). You can do it! This place has a great support system. Anyone can feel free to add me. I'm on here more then FB. :laugh:

Happy logging!
    Sheila :flowerforyou: