Why So Hungry When on my Period?

Options
Does anyone know why I would get SO hungry on my period?! I don't crave really bad foods just...want to eat more. Is this my hormones tricking me or do I actually need to eat more?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Because our bodies are the devil.

JX6dl.jpg
  • 1990sophia1990
    1990sophia1990 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    hahahhaha oh my god I love this it's so true!!! For some weird reason i also feel much more emotional this time too...I came off the pill about a month ago and I wonder if that has something to do with it...pains are a lot worse too :(
  • purpleprose
    Options
    Ugh, seriously! I feel the same way! I get ravenous.

I try to have spaghetti squash and lots of salad on hand to help me overcome my complete and utter voraciousness without totally damaging my weight loss.

Also, awesome photo is awesome. :laugh:
  • 1990sophia1990
    1990sophia1990 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking lots of tea in the hope it will prevent me from eating the chocolate fudge brownie's my dad got from the shop today :O but unfortunately I've already eaten over my daily requirements :(
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I crave a lot of candy and junk while I'm pms'ing and once I get my period the cravings for junk go away but I'm still way hungrier than normal. I try to eat a couple hundred more to satisfy the hunger during the first couple of days. That's not going to ruin my week by any means.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    LOL! me too. a few days before, it is definitely all systems go.
    not specific cravings. I just want everything. a lot of it even if I normally wouldn't want any.
  • justtodayjen333
    justtodayjen333 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    same here. If you find the answer, please let me know!
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I was going to post pretty much the same thing today but I didn't know how to title it haha. My problem is when I am PMSing, I GO CRAZY FOR FOOD! Omg, its like I cant get enough!! I normally lose it when I start because I am no longer hungry, but I wish I could control myself for those few days ugh lol.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    "As you lay in your bed doing nothing at all, your body is burning up fuel, or calories, keeping your digestive system working, helping your heart beat and all of the other wonderful things that happen inside us that we don’t have to think about on a daily basis. Every thirty days or so, the systems in your body pick up another task.

With the menstrual cycle, the week of your period makes your body do some extra work. This extra work burns more calories and your BMR actually goes up. In some women, the week of your period can make you burn up to fifteen percent more calories, and you haven’t changed a single thing about your lifestyle!

Of course, if you’re trying to figure out why your period makes you so hungry, the answer is clear. Your body is doing more work; your body needs more calories. To get the calories it needs, your body sends a message to your brain telling you you’re hungry more often. Since you’re feeling hungry, you eat."

Quoted from http://www.iibc.com/hungry-period/
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    To replace the lost stuff for that month? :-P
  • MarthaLoraine
    MarthaLoraine Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I find when i get so hungry it is because im missing a key nutrient and i stay hungry till i get that nutrient.
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    "As you lay in your bed doing nothing at all, your body is burning up fuel, or calories, keeping your digestive system working, helping your heart beat and all of the other wonderful things that happen inside us that we don’t have to think about on a daily basis. Every thirty days or so, the systems in your body pick up another task.

With the menstrual cycle, the week of your period makes your body do some extra work. This extra work burns more calories and your BMR actually goes up. In some women, the week of your period can make you burn up to fifteen percent more calories, and you haven’t changed a single thing about your lifestyle!

Of course, if you’re trying to figure out why your period makes you so hungry, the answer is clear. Your body is doing more work; your body needs more calories. To get the calories it needs, your body sends a message to your brain telling you you’re hungry more often. Since you’re feeling hungry, you eat."

Hahah that made me go "OHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh". That's a good explanation. :D
  • healthyJenn0915
    Options

JX6dl.jpg
    OMG this is hilarious and so true!
  • Aprilh479
    Options
    OMG THIS IS HILARIOUS!!!!!!

JX6dl.jpg
  • cubanbruin
    cubanbruin Posts: 31 Member
    Options

JX6dl.jpg

FUNNIEST CRAP IN THE WORLD!!
  • childermass
    childermass Posts: 115 Member
    Options

So funny - I have lost the most on my period weeks - even though I retain water and eat like the devil!
    Love the learnanating
  • cubanbruin
    cubanbruin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What I do to satisfy my sweet tooth without screwing up is eat sweet grapes or raisins work too.. or try having cereal dry as a sweet snack!! Lucky charms dry in a baggie are yum without all the excessive calories candy could give you
  • IWantToo
    IWantToo Posts: 162
    Options

So funny - I have lost the most on my period weeks - even though I retain water and eat like the devil!
    Love the learnanating
    I dont think i believe that... because im not just craving food aka just hungry.. im craving certain foods, i once walked to the store for ice cream and candy and sat there eating it like a pig and had no clue why or what was happening to me, the next day tom was on. Then i knew why i had done something I hadn't done since I was a teenager lol... I crave junk I can eat a whole large pizza and a bag of doritos, i'll be full stomach hurting and an hour later i have to have it again.. its a beast!

I also lose whatever i gain during the first 2 weeks no matter how much i eat, i could eat 8,000 cals and be the same weight as before tom or a pound or 2 lighter...
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    OMG right now I have been eating potato chips like a maniac...I DONT EVEN USUALLY LIKE POTATO CHIPS!! lol All I want is salty things and chocolate. FML. Being a girl is rough sometimes! lol
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    It is due to your body wanting/needing exra carbs(but i also only crave sweet stuff) :sad:
    i also crave it around ovulation too :sad: :sad: :sad:

the only super sweet thing i have found that sorta works and is low cal is merange nests(yes i cant spell)! :blushing: :wink: