Why So Hungry When on my Period?

Options

Replies

• Tebbspcad
    Tebbspcad Posts: 233
    Options
    I'm the same, I could eat a horse! I satisfy my chocolate cravings by drinking low fat hot chocolate and eating several pink n whites.
    :happy:
  • shaunap3
    shaunap3 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Ditto. I could sit and eat just about anything until I was ill. It's like nothing is ever enough. To this day I haven't found any helpful things. Just drink lots of water and TRY to make the best choices possible. Maybe fill the void with salads and greens, but don't deny yourself that slice of pizza or cookie. :)
  • FitLifeDiva
    FitLifeDiva Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling the same. Thx for posting!
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I'm so hungry the day before it starts, I know its coming. That's generally my one main day off per month as I do probably average around 3000 calories. I cannot stop eating all day! It's nor good, I should control it better but I secretly do love just pigging out :3
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, I could eat a horse! I satisfy my chocolate cravings by drinking low fat hot chocolate and eating several pink n whites.
    :happy:

have you tried the weight watchers version of pink and white(newish out)? they are the same cals but have caramel in so are sweeter? :bigsmile: (but alot dearer too):mad:
  • saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge believer about listening to your body. If you're hungry, EAT. If you're craving a specific item, HAVE IT! My appetite goes through the roof a few days prior and I also get a lot more tired so I try to increase my protein and will indulge in something sweet to curb the craving. It's only a couple of days, I can make up for a it when my body is back to normal. Don't sweat it.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate is my friend, a couple of squares and I feel GREAT! I eat a couple of squares every day in any case...
  • Jongooi
    Options
    I feel the same too esp the day before the 1st day of period... tend to overeat somehow ...always blame it on the hormone.. :)
  • 1990sophia1990
    1990sophia1990 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think actually dark chocolate really is very helpful in these cases...I think I might buy some raw green tea and lemon dark choccie from the shop today :D
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know why I would get SO hungry on my period?! I don't crave really bad foods just...want to eat more. Is this my hormones tricking me or do I actually need to eat more?

Hormones, nutrient deficiencies, increased metabolism. Clean up your diet the whole month and you could find the monthly issues dissipate - more essential fatty acids, minerals and fibre, keep blood sugar stable.
  • RansomedDaughter
    RansomedDaughter Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been so good and then today - BAM - I'm starving and wanting to eat. I am feeling so guilty about being over my allotted calories but this conversation makes a lot of sense so I guess I will try not to beat myself up too much.
  • ingridanderson82
    ingridanderson82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Because our bodies are the devil.

JX6dl.jpg

OMG, I love this so much!
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You crave chocolate and other sugars for a seritonin boost as all hormones dip during your cycle. Extra iron is also needed... the heavier your flow the more you need. This is a perfect time to indulge in a steak (unless, of course, you are a vegitarian). I've found it's useless to try to ignore hormonal cravings. I'll eat more calories trying to subsitute rather than eat what I want (that only works for several days of the month though.. the rest of the time is all on me).
  • bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    tis the season to be hungry la la la la la la la la la
  • KelseyUSM
    Options
    After going 435 over my calories today, I now feel much better having read everyone's similar experiences with these few rough days every month!
  • BrenWOW
    Options
    I am om my last day and I actually lost this week! But I have to seriously try as hard as I can to control myself the week before. I want crackers so bad every month- I could go through a pack of cheese and 2 sleeves of saltines easy if I let myself! SUCKS. lol
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Amen my sistas lol. I always joke that I want to eat anything that not nailed down during that time of the month :bigsmile: Its funny how until I started watching what I eat I never noticed this trend, however, after speaking with my a nutritionist/ dietitian it was confirmed that yes this is normal and its ok, just be careful not to be led totally astray. :tongue: Also after the initial few psm days my appetite goes back to normal thanks god lol
  • dstevens19
    dstevens19 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If you figure it out, let me know. I just ate 20 vanilla wafers and used my period as the excuse.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I don't know...usually for me it's before. During, I want to eat less....does this always happen to you, or have you been lifting weights lately?
  • Guinevere117
    Guinevere117 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am actually experiencing this right now.... lol. I have HUGE cravings the week before and during my period. However, I really do not crave too many bad foods, as I have taken note of the stuff I crave. It always seems to be things with protein like peanut butter, protein bars, protein powders, nuts (which are more fat than protein), and meats like chicken. I do also crave dark chocolate. I indulge in my cravings, but not past my goals (most of the time).
    ugh... As for bloating, don't even get me started. I tend to gain about 5 lbs and look terrible. I do lose it afterwards, it's just that one depressing week or so that really helps me lose motivation.