Any 50 somethings out there

Options

Replies

• bearii
    bearii Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I travel full time too and can completely relate. Couple things are helping me this time. First, I reached out to some friends and family and asked them to help me by holding me accountable. I am using a private group on Facebook to do this where I report in every day on my progress. There little encouragements and checkin's are a huge motivator for me.

Second, I use the MFP app on my smartphone so that when I'm in a restaurant I check what I'm ordering before I order something to see if it will fit in my plan for the day. I know that if I order it most likely I'll eat it. By ordering wisely first using MFP ahead of time it has helped me avoid some crazy calories!

Third, I love to walk, since I can do that anywhere it works well for me. I started small, for me I could manage at least 30 minutes and about 1.7miles a day at least 5 or 6 times a week. I use the Endomondo app on the smartphone to track that. Love that app, when you complete a mile it tells you your total time and your time for that mile. I find myself wanting to try harder. I have gradually moved up from 30 min/1.7 miles to about 80 min/5+ miles every day. When I first started I could only do a mile in about 18 min or so. Now I'm consistently doing miles in under 15min, yesterday I even did a mile in the 13's - I can't get over the difference! The Endomondo app really helps keep me motivated.

Warning the first 4 weeks it was really hard to get out there every day. Then it started to click, now I feel like I "have" to walk. It's not optional any more, it feels really good!

If walking is not a good one for you then check out this website: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/subscribe-to-blog/#axzz2HsSQOrvi That link takes you one of the pages where you can sign up for his newsletter and when you do he will email you his Primal Blueprint Fitness. It is AMAZING! You do a little assessment and based on that it will start you at a level you can handle. The workout will take you about 20-30 minutes every day but using body resistance so you can do it anywhere. And you will be amazed at how much it works you out and how good you feel. I loved that it starts you at a level you can handle.

Good luck! I know doing it on the road is tough, really tough but if I can do it I bet you can too! Feel free to friend me if you want to stay in touch.
  • LisaAvasNana
    LisaAvasNana Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'll be 49 in 12 days. Can I fit in? LOL Figure I'm close enough. I want to lose 70-90lbs. I've been on for 9 days and love MFP. I kept meaning to join for a year and never did. Guess this is my year. Ready to give support.

We're on this journey together.
    Lisa
  • bearii
    bearii Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just started this weekend.
    Need motivation
    I travel during the week and it is difficult to exercise and eat healthy out of a hotel on the run.
    Just got back from the gym

Sorry - I meant for my second post above to be for you - see that post, hope it helps!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Today is my 58th birthday. I lost 25% of my original body weight last year between June and December. I feel a lot younger than I did last year on this day. Fitness and nutrition are my new hobbies.
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    A lot of new members here. If you commit you have a lot to look forward to. I've been on MFP for a year and continue to learn about diet, health and conditioning. I'm really pleased with the results I've gotten here so far.

I take conditioning seriously, am a former athlete, and am currently finishing a cut phase. Looking forward to the bulk phase! If you are involved in or are open to conditioning and a lifestyle way of eating as opposed to a diet, feel free to add me.
  • katjo10
    katjo10 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am 51 yrs old soon to turn 52 in March. I began MFP on March 28th 2012 & it is the best thing I have ever done for my health. I have lost 47 lbs since I started logging on to MFP. I had lost an additional 10 before MFP. I have actually lost a total of of 57 lbs last year (2012)! I will be losing at least another 55 lbs in 2013! I would be happy to add friends my age. Life at our age does not have to be about aging it can be about being healthly & I am bound and determined to be healthy for this second half of my life! Any of you with me? :happy:
  • kathleenmary73
    kathleenmary73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Kathleen and I'm in the age of fifty something. I had two very bad years and thanks to arthritis I stopped moving and gained a lot of weight. Now I'm looking at a very long road ahead of my but I am feeling pretty god about my future and getting back to doing the things that I love. I love people and enjoy supporting as much as I need to be supported. As soon as I figure out how to use this site I'm going to be all over it. But since I'm not very computer savvy with the ability of understanding website navigation it could be a while.
  • AFC1960
    AFC1960 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just turned 52. Lost 9 lbs a few months back and have been at a stand still. Joined to see if this may help. I've got a long way to go!
  • tinytinam
    tinytinam Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I turned 50 this year and I agree that at our age, we sometimes need a different approach from all the younger ones, who are able to really go for it at the gym. I think our losses are harder won because that middle aged spread thing isn't a myth unfortunately! Still though, it is doable but we all need help and support. That is why this is a great site and a wonderful community and I would love to be friends with anyone who would like to be friends with me!
  • tinytinam
    Options
    Happy Birthday Sherry. You look fantastic. I also have just a few pounds to go, but I don''t think it ends there! I have lost weight before and put it back on too!!! This time the logging and friends is a fantastic help and I so happy I found MFP. Health and nutrition rocks. Tina
  • tinytinam
    Options
    That is a great goal Rose. You can do it, even being sedentary. it is harder I agree, but logging every day helps so much! Maybe you can do some sitting exercises? I know that there are ways for you to get a little exercise in, even if you have to do it sitting down. Your doc should have some advice for you on this, My mum had both her knees replaced in her early 70's. It is a tough operation and does take longer to recover than the surgeon will tell you but the physiotherapy is key! Make sure you take a really good multi vitamin and mineral while you are losing weight. As we age, we don't absorb our vitamins as easily as when we are younger and with cutting down on food, you may not get everything you need. So give yourself the best fighting chance! :flowerforyou: Good Luck Rose, Tina.
  • tinytinam
    Options
    It is great to have friends your own age! You just invite anybody you like to be your friend, or if someone invites you, just click accept. I look forward to us being friends. Turned 50 seven months ago and joined MFP last June after I got my first smartphone!
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and have been doing MFP about 5 months. I log in every day so if you need a friend and motivator send a request.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • robinkhn
    robinkhn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just turned 55 (January 1st). I am excited about this year as I have decided that it is going to be MY year. I have been member of MFP for a few years, but haven't used it until recently. I have tried other tracking sites, but find MFP the easiest to use. I also like that it supports my fitbit and endomondo apps. I wish I could use the striiv app, but it is for iphone only and I don't have one. I have two children (daughter will be 26 in March and sone just turned 23 on Jan 4th). My son has a little boy and is the light of my life. He and fiance are expecting a little girl March 1st. Oh, did I mention they are living with me? Makes for some excitement around here and definitely keeps me hopping (sometimes physically). I have a hard time with my eating as in not eating enough calories. I walk everyday. I love to walk and is exercise of choice. I sometimes get on the wii and play the Biggest Loser game. It is tough so I can only do it for about 15-20 minutes. Looking forward to getting to know all of you and supporting you any way I can. Good luck with your "battles" whatever they may be, and remember, NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER!. Happy New Year and here's to a new you!
  • Dan4495
    Dan4495 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I'm 54, discovered this site 3 months ago and have really enjoyed it! Really helps me hold myself accountable. I have become an avid walker since joining MFP. Take my dog "buddy" on 4-6 mile walks every day. We logged 155 miles in December. After about a month into our regimen, my 28 yo daughter made note of how fit Buddy looks. Oh well....
  • Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm 50 later this year and started logging on Mfp July 1.
    I've lost 31kg / 68 pounds so far :)
  • pettycoatjunction
    pettycoatjunction Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    52 and struggling to lose the pounds..working hard..would love to connect with other women my age..sure isn't like when I was younger, could lose 5 pounds in a week now I keep finding those lost pound of yesteryear!

I could have written your post! In my younger years all I would have to do is think about losing 5 pounds and poof... they were gone! Now that I have finally hit this newest decade, those 5 (or 10) pounds seem to be using superglue to hang around a bit longer! :sad:
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump to keep this post
  • jodygirl56
    jodygirl56 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hi! jody here...56 and could use MFP friends