Awkward Question..

Options
Alright.. so I finally have the guts to ask this question because I just really want to know if its been happening to you guys also!
Here it goes.
PLEASE DONT LAUGH.
lol

So I have noticed that ever since eating healthier.. Ive had so much more gas...

haha.

Dont know if this is due to the healthy foods or if something is wrong with me?
Does this happen to you?
& how do I fix it?
I am tired of having so much gas in my stomach & constantly farting. lolololol

Replies

• kestrel359
    kestrel359 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    anytime you make a major change to your diet your stomach will have to go through an adjustment period which usually includes an increase in gas. This is especially true if you increase your fiber intake. You should eventually go back to normal
  • fausto412
    fausto412 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    oh wow.

I'm on day 4 now and if anything I have less gas and go to the restroom for #2 much less. It's weird...like eating all this different food and small quantities and watching what I eat with the app makes a huge difference, also drinking and counting my cups of water a day... I always thought potty time everyday was normal.

Maybe some of the food you are eating?

While you have this gas catch your significant other and hot box him...payback!
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    It happens. Part of it is probably your body adjusting to the change in your diet. If you are eating more vegetables, they can definitely contribute to it, as well.

Buy some Beano or Gas-X and you'll be just fine.
  • lilteeraw
    lilteeraw Posts: 261
    Options
    hahaha... already done that to my boyfriend. not on purpose eaither.
    & please feel free to check out my diary to see if it is the foods im eating.
    cause ive been healthy for about 8 months now & it hasnt gone away.

:/
    im worried.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    You could take a look at the order you are eating your foods. I don't strictly adhere to it but I am mildly interested in the subject of food combining. Some people absolutely swear by food combining for good digestion. I did a quick search and found this blog where you can learn the basics:
    http://mynewroots.blogspot.com/2012/03/all-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-food.html
  • kestrel359
    Options
    it looks like you eat alot of fiber rich food, which is probably causing your gas issues. With that much fiber your body is probably still adjusting. Give it a few more months and see if it gets better, if not you'll probably need to talk to a Dr. to get a better answer
  • Jim1960
    Jim1960 Posts: 194
    Options
    anytime you make a major change to your diet your stomach will have to go through an adjustment period which usually includes an increase in gas. This is especially true if you increase your fiber intake. You should eventually go back to normal

Most likely ^^this^^. Found this article that seems pretty good.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/458728-can-a-change-in-diet-cause-gas-diarrhea/
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    You may find this helpful:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gas-and-gas-pains/DS00080/DSECTION=causes

Either way, buy some Beano or Gas-X. It will help.
  • lilteeraw
    lilteeraw Posts: 261
    Options
    okay... and also is too much gas bad>? :O
  • kestrel359
    Options
    it's rarely a cause for concern but may suggest an intolerance to certain foods, such as dairy
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and the first thing I noticed was the Fiber One yogurt. I didn't look past that, because I may have solved your problem, lol.

Check all of your "high fiber" foods (cereals, granola bars, yogurts, etc) for "chicory root extract" or "inulin." It gives a LOT of people absolutely staggering gas and never gets better - I'm one of them. Try replacing those foods with something else for a week or two and see if things improve.
  • childermass
    childermass Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    According to Honey Boo Boo's mama, farting 12 - 15 times a day helps you lose weight.
    She should know as she is such a svelte little thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHw9kvArS3g
    hahaha
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    Happens to me when I eat well. It just means when we digest we end up making a side product of... methane. Darn it. I use 'digestive advantage' and have had great luck stopping the extra gas. Not a health concern, just irritating!
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. It's not that embarrassing honestly. Worst yet, I've noticed that my farts smell like broccoli somehow...perhaps due to all the veggies Im eating haha
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Dro[p the fiber bar and fiber added yogart. It's probably the added fiber.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and the first thing I noticed was the Fiber One yogurt. I didn't look past that, because I may have solved your problem, lol.

Check all of your "high fiber" foods (cereals, granola bars, yogurts, etc) for "chicory root extract" or "inulin." It gives a LOT of people absolutely staggering gas and never gets better - I'm one of them. Try replacing those foods with something else for a week or two and see if things improve.

Yes. I can't have anything with added fiber. No Fiber One, no Kashi, no Mission Carb Control, etc. Natural fiber (veggies, brown rice, wheat bread, etc) is fine, but the added stuff is horrible for me.
  • paradog
    paradog Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    According to Honey Boo Boo's mama, farting 12 - 15 times a day helps you lose weight.
    She should know as she is such a svelte little thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHw9kvArS3g
    hahaha

Oh my! LOL
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Yes. I figure it's how fat leaves the body. LOL. Seriously, I think it's my new eating whole foods thing. The process is more complicated or something like that. I also think that some veggies are more likely to give gas, such as cabbage, spinach, broccoli, cucumbers. Spinach is a big gas maker. Good for you, but holy moly!
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options

^This
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Probably the increase in fiber.