nighttime snacking :(

Options
Has anybody conquered the nighttime snacking monster? I do really well all day and then blow it after dinner. Any advice?

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Review what you are eating at every meal and snack all day especially at dinner, if you undereat, don't balance your macros, don't keep your blood sugar stable you may get cravings. Stuff yourself at dinner - loads of non starchy vegetables, lean protein plus healthy fats. If you are not too satisfied for dessert eat more. What are you snacking on and why is it in the house?
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    As the poster above said, don't have it in the house.
    My personal, kind of crazy, way not to eat after dinner is this: When I'm done cleaning up after dinner, I announce, out loud, "The kitchen is now Closed!" Then I turn out the lights and in my case, close the door to the kitchen until morning. Most of the time only my 2 cats and I hear the big announcement, but somehow, it works for me.
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry or just bored?

If you get peckish later, plan it into your cal allowance and save some back. Buy in healthy snacks like fruit or veg or stuff like yoghurts and popcorn instead of junk.

If you're bored, find something to entertain yourself. I took up guitar, if I'm bored in the flat, I pick it up and have a wee practice, keeps my hands and mind busy.
  • Ochunshoney
    Options
    When I had trainer ... He told me to make big bowl of low calorie of Jello and when that night munching happens.... To just kill that. It worked.
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I have dinner 8pm latest and usually up till 3-4am...just drink some tea or water
    (I'm an ex night-time snacker) I snacked because I was bored and comfortable sitting there watching family guy
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    If you are genuinely more hungry at night just plan your calories to allow a couple of snacks after dinner.

I get hungriest first thing in the morning so I forsake some calories from afternoon and evening to eat a really big breakfast. I find this works really well
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I haven't mastered it, cause sometimes you sit down and eat anyway. BUT, when I'm being good, I drink hot tea, makes my mouth and belly feel like it's getting something, and I do random crafts, or read, something to keep my hands busy. works wonders. The second I decide I'm just going to sit and watch tv with out my hands doing something my mind instantly goes to the kitchen
  • joanmarienana
    joanmarienana Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I was a huge nighttime snacker, and I don't even get to eat dinner until 7 p.m.! I have found some really nice teas with lots of flavor that I enjoy after dinner. There's a Licorice spice one that's my current fave, but the chais, mint, lemongrass, coconut etc, have a natural sweetness that is like a dessert to me. As long as I don't start the munching on anything at all, I am usually fine. And I also brush my teeth early and even go to bed early when I'm actually tired and not hungry.
    Prior to no snacking at all after dinner, I used to like a few radishes; the hotness of them actually made me more mindful, and I tended to stop after a few, but even a whole bag doesn't set you back that many calories.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I find 20 minutes of exercise curbs my appetite pretty well. It also reminds me how hard it is to work off calories.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    figure in a evening snack in your calories for the day.. maybe even 2-100 calorie ones. Personally, I enjoy my bowl of cereal before bedtime. its personal preference for many.

good luck!
  • teresa0331
    teresa0331 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I set an absolute cutoff time for eating. I will not eat past 8:00 p.m. so I'm not going to bed with a lot of food in my tummy.

If it's before 8:00 p.m. and I have the calories left, I have a Skinny Cow icecream sandwich (if I'm craving something sweet), which is only 140 calories or some really lowfat (I think it's 97% fat free) microwave popcorn (if I'm craving something salty). If it's after 8:00 p.m. I drink a bottle of water and watch a movie or other show that gets my mind off of munching (so no Food Network shows - LOL). If I still find I can't get my mind off of it - I go to bed!

You can do this! I know it's sometimes difficult to refocus your mind, but most of the time it is a mental game.
  • sambosmitty
    sambosmitty Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread. I also have the night snacking monster inside me. I started not keeping snacking foods around because I would raid the cabinets like a maniac. I think it all comes down to being bored and when I'm in my comfort zone its on the couch watching netflix eating...but I've taken up knitting and that has seemed to help. I still occasionally raid the cabinet, but I've been better at what I choose to eat now.

I'll have to try the hot tea suggestion!
  • Ticeann22
    Options
    Yes all the time! I will drink a bottle of water. Then have some celery and honey mustard. Or 100 cal bag of kettle corn..very filling!
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I budget my calories to allow for about 300 to be eaten after dinner. If not, I go to bed feeling anxious and hungry. If I go to bed too hungry I overeat at breakfast the next day.
  • LarDoucheLar
    LarDoucheLar Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I nighttime snack due to boredom not hunger..

Lately just drinking some diluting juice or water has been helping and a little piece of fruit if i'm craving something sweet. But more than anything i'll distract myself and keep telling myself i'm not actually hungry..

But i love the above suggestion of a bowl of cereal before bed, i love cereal so may give that a try. Hope you find what works for you ! :D
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I like to snack at night, so I organise my calorie intake to allow for that.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I save several hundred calories for evening snacking. Just pull some calories from another meal and plan for it.
  • deedawn213
    Options
    As soon as the evening munchies hit me, which is every night, I get out my planner and start planning my meals for the next day. This gives me the freedom to think about food and some satisfaction in knowing what I'll get to enjoy the next day. Like others said, you're likely not physically hungry, just mentally. If I really feel hungry, I'll cut up an apple to munch on while I'm planning. Good luck!
  • DiggaTDawg
    DiggaTDawg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a horrible nighttime snacker! I too find myself doing well all day only for it to be ruined by my inner snack monster at night. I think for me its boredom, so my advice to myself is to stay busy. For anyone else, find your "triggers" and start there. If you eat because you're bored then stay busy, the added bonus is if busy means up and moving then you're burning calories. If snacking is because your day time intake is too low and your blood sugar is dropping at night, then play with your dietary needs until you find yourself craving less. Cravings mean your body is lacking something, so listen, just don't listen while tearing up a bag of doritos! I have gone as far as eating an entire bag of mini carrots but at least it wasn't chips.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I save calories for nighttime. In fact, including dinner, more than half my calories are generally eaten at night.