nighttime snacking :(

Options

Replies

• shanimal16
    shanimal16 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I also have this same problem. I do save some calories so I can have a bowl of cheerios with bananas as my night time snack. Cheerios, Bananas and milk are all things that help me sleep, so I justify it that way with some sleepy time tea and then I brush my teeth, once I do that its a signal to my body that it is time for relaxing, not eating.
  • SoySalva
    SoySalva Posts: 138
    Options
    Add 1 more night snacker to the list.....I snack after dinner every single night so I "budget" these snacks in my calories for the day.....I rather snack than deprive myself and end up binging instead.

Best of luck to you!
  • Aitm20
    Aitm20 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Mini 100 calorie popcorn bags,,,,no junk in the house. I know that monster, he used to visit me every night. You can defeat it! Willpower
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I would wake and head to the fridge. I wouldnt even thinnk about it and grab something because I would be so tired. I am normally a very organized peson and notice things out of place relatively quick. i posted a sign on the fridge that said something like hello youre dieting. This helped and now I have even taken my sign down
  • colourkitty
    Options
    I have started flossing and brushing my teeth right after dinner, seems to be wrking so far
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    i tend to get hungry late at night before i go to bed regardless of what i ate during the day, so i make sure i have about 100 cals fir my favorite snack, a bowl of regular plain old cheerios, only 100 cals. ( I use SILK unsweetened vanilla almond milk which is so yummy & only 30 calories, plus it has no sugar in it so i feel pretty good about this as a snack :)
  • butt2lose
    Options
    im like you i like to have a little snack myself at night. before i go to work i cut up a sweet apple...usually golden delicious apple. or get a serving size of something sinful (lol) like 3 chocolate cookies. the cookies or chips or whatever are always in a baggie. buy u a bag or box of something and devide a serving size up into baggies and when u have that craving in the evening, grab 1 baggie. it beats picking up the whole bag.. cuz i dont know about you, but if the WHOLE bag is in my hand, at least HALF of it is gone. so plan ahead.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    im like you i like to have a little snack myself at night. before i go to work i cut up a sweet apple...usually golden delicious apple. or get a serving size of something sinful (lol) like 3 chocolate cookies. the cookies or chips or whatever are always in a baggie. buy u a bag or box of something and devide a serving size up into baggies and when u have that craving in the evening, grab 1 baggie. it beats picking up the whole bag.. cuz i dont know about you, but if the WHOLE bag is in my hand, at least HALF of it is gone. so plan ahead.

great suggestion!! ..and ty for supporting the night time snack monster :)
  • deedawn213
    Options
    I had a pre-workout snack today that I think will be great for my nighttime cravings...
    1/2 banana and 13 (1/2 serving) of pistachios (in the shell, takes longer to eat). The sweet and salty combo was very satisfying and surprising filling.
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This was always my biggest problem. I went cold turkey cause nothing else worked. While it's not realistic not to have food in the house try not to have your absolute favs. (for instance most people will have a bag or 2 of chips around cause they are a lunch staple but if you can't keep yourself out of the Frito bag don't buy that brand) I'd go all day and eat great and than 8pm rolled around and it was like the pantry was calling my name. Drove me CRAZY! I just had to stop. After about 3 days it got easier. Now I actually have nights I don't even think about eating after 8pm. Also, if you watch TV at night mute the food commericals. They are just there to give us grief!
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to kick this habit myself. Last night I didn't eat after 7 pm and I'm going to try my best to make it that way every night. My thing is I get bored and find myself wandering into the kitchen. Not so much that I'm hungry, just boredom. I'm going to start reading nightly or enjoying a crossword/word search/sudoku puzzle to entertain my head and keep the snacking under control! Good luck to you all!
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty active into the evening by way of having a craft I sell online so I have to fill orders...basically what I'm saying is that if your hands are busy with something else, they can't hold food.

On the other hand, if I've had an active day I can get hungry a few hours after dinner. What You/I can eat depends on how good we were earlier in the day. For a sweet tooth I love nuking some frozen blueberries until warm and mushing them up with a touch of my no cal sweetner of choice. For a big of protein and creaminess vanilla no fat greek yogurt (I use oikos) is a good option. Use instead of whip cream on blueberries. Fresh blueberries are great in season. The darker the fruit, the less sugar it usually has.

Half a grapefruit will stop hunger pangs long enough to fall asleep, also low in sugar, can add a no cal sweetner to it, and I have discovered that sprinkling cinnamon on it is delicious.

Munch on berries, munch on grapes, make a dip with greek yogurt and hidden valley ranch dip mix and dip all those veggies you should have eaten all day into it.

I find hunger cravings usually mean I need more protein.

Oh and there is always air popped popcorn, no butter!
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This is my biggest weakness
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I just make sure I have the calories left to snack a bit in the evening. I eat a reasonable breakfast (around 400 calories) and a reasonable lunch (around 600 calories). Then, I end up with around 1200 calories for dinner, dessert and snacks.

I know 2200 calories is a bit more than most MFP'ers eat, but I'm on maintenance now. If you're working with fewer calories, just shift the calories around so that you have more left in the evening than you eat throughout the rest of the day. :smile:
  • shaynooth
    Options
    I am bad for night time treats. What works for me is if I cut back on my calories just a bit during the day maybe for lunch or dinner, then in the evening I have my treat. Something I really enjoy like popcorn or chocolate it seems to keep the snack monster at bay. If I feel I can't help but snack late I have some diet coke, very little calories but its satisfying.
  • eddierdiaz
    eddierdiaz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try Pop Corn!
  • blissfulself
    blissfulself Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    i always save calories for after dinner. i like to eat a bowl of cereal (usually special k or raisin bran) or some kind of low calorie ice cream treat (i.e. fudgscicle 60 calories) in bed so i just plan ahead for it and usually log my snack and dinner at the same time so i don't go over
  • cassidaymoriarity
    cassidaymoriarity Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Boil up some eggs so when you have an night time snacking urge you can either try waiting at least 20 minutes to see if your body is truly hungry and if it is eat an egg, don't use a ton of salt though! I don't even use salt I will warm an egg up in the microwave for like 15 seconds take it out and then peel and eat it. Be careful though the egg can possibly explode in the microwave if in it for too long and gets to warm.
  • Reneeisfat
    Reneeisfat Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I find 20 minutes of exercise curbs my appetite pretty well. It also reminds me how hard it is to work off calories.

^this
    And I'll take a shower and go to bed.
    Can't eat if you're sleeping...unless you're a sleepwalker!
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Another night time snacker, here. It was my favorite time of day - but it added significant pounds to my waistline :wink:

What I do now is I drink 16 oz of water and eat a hard boiled egg. This way I'm filling up my belly with much needed water and some protein.

Then I try and determine what I need for the next day's meal and try to accommodate a bowl of cereal with milk and fruit for a night time snack.

I know that the week before my period I am RAVENOUS 24/7 - so I need to think of ways to get through that. This is my first week back on MFP - so I haven't had a period this month :blushing: - but I hope by the time it rolls around, I'll have some good habits in place.

Just know that you are not alone in this battle!