gained 10 pounds in 10 days

Options
eating pretty clean,
hungry more often than not.

doubled my protien intake cut fat and carb intake.
running lifting dieting, p90xing...
today isfourth day of p90x, 6th day of intense training.

GAINED TEN POUNDS! went from 170 to 180... im 5'6.5...

body fat went from 15 to 14...

discuss

Replies

• squishy2981
    Options
    By volume, muscle is more dense than fat. You are packing on muscle, so you will most definitely weigh more, have a lower body fat percentage, and be completely healthier. The scale for muscular people is pretty much useless for tracking weight loss, b/c you don't lose weight when you gain muscle. BUT, you are most definitely getting healthy! The best way I can thinkn of to describe the fat vs muscle thing is this: if you take a one cup measuring cup and fill it with rice krispies and weigh it...then fill the same size cup with rocks and weigh it....clearly the one with rocks will be heavier. That is what muscle does to you! I say keep up the good work! I'm not really clear on your goals, like dropping pants sizes or body building or what have you, but it sounds like you're making healthy decision thus far.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    By volume, muscle is more dense than fat. You are packing on muscle, so you will most definitely weigh more, have a lower body fat percentage, and be completely healthier....
    1) He's eating 1200 calories a day, so he's definitely NOT packing on muscle....if anything, he's losing lean body mass due to the extreme deficit. You don't build muscle mass when in a caloric deficit, let alone when you're starving yourself at a huge deficit.

2) Nobody gains 10 pounds of muscle in 10 days. Not even bodybuilders eating at a huge surplus, lifting heavy weights and taking anabolic steroids.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm going to disagree with the poster above (two up).. There is no way you will have gained substantial muscle mass in 10 days. None.

What I suspect is happening is that you have a lot of retained fluid on board - both from the additional strain on your kidneys that a high protein diet can produce, and from generalised swelling of muscles that are adapting to increased loads. Swelling is a natural response to micro-damage of muscles, and swelling is fluid. Once your muscles start to heal the fluid will be excreted, but keep drinking plenty of water in the meantime. Swelling is there for a reason, so let it run its course.

I suspect your BF total mass is identical. BF scales measure total body water, and by subtraction estimate body fat percentage. More mass with identical BF mass makes for a proportionally lower BF percentage reading, but given that your extra 10 pounds is almost certainly water, this is a specious decrease.

Keep working and you will certainly see changes, but you are in a transient state right now that won't last.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    no
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, you're way over on sodium. It's probably water weight,
  • squishy2981
    Options
    Looked at your food diary for yesterday, so not sure where people are getting the 1200 calories from. You consumed over 2000 calories yesterday and at 169 grams of protein. You ate almost 100% of your body weight in protein. This is a great way to pack on muscle. Agreed that it happened really quickly, so it may be water retention. Or, when a person starts consuming that much protein, more than what they are used to, you can get pretty bloated and constipated, so it takes longer to have BM's.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    no

x's infinity
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    discuss

But I don't wanna!!!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Eat without tracking for a bit, do the full p90x and set aside the scale until you're finished.
  • jlhill7
    jlhill7 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Bet most of it is water :-)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Looked at your food diary for yesterday, so not sure where people are getting the 1200 calories from. You consumed over 2000 calories yesterday and at 169 grams of protein. You ate almost 100% of your body weight in protein. This is a great way to pack on muscle. Agreed that it happened really quickly, so it may be water retention. Or, when a person starts consuming that much protein, more than what they are used to, you can get pretty bloated and constipated, so it takes longer to have BM's.
    Did you happen to notice that he logged over 1000 calories burned in exercise? Or look a day ahead and notice that he's set to 1200 calories a day? We're talking about *net* calorie intake, not total.

Again - you don't pack on muscle in a caloric deficit. Not possible. Doesn't happen. No matter how much protein you're eating (or in the OP's case, drinking).
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I gained 6 pounds in 48 hours. Leg day. Plus running. My legs feel like lead.

Poop + water retention in stressed muscle.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You did not gain muscle. Period. You gained 10lb of water, assuming you are actually representing things accurately.

Let me explain the math to you:

170lb @ 15% BF (assuming that there actually was an accurate way to measure this - which there is not)

= 25.5lb of fat and 144.5lb of LBM

you gained 10lb of LBM by way of water retention (water is included in LBM)

so, fat is 25.5lb still and LBM is now 155,5lb

= 14% bf.

You did not however lose fat. Woohoo!!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    eating pretty clean,

discuss

It's all water - I added the math above (you know I am a nerd!)
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Have you considered bathroom irregularities. Constipation can add several pounds (of food weight). you could also be holding on to water weight. Some people have water weight that fluctuates drastically. Because you are doing such intense workouts you are sure to be holding water. Don't freak out!! Keep doing what you are doing make sure you are hitting your calorie goals and the weight will eventually decrease.
  • watergallagher
    watergallagher Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I gained 6 pounds in 48 hours. Leg day. Plus running. My legs feel like lead.

Poop + water retention in stressed muscle.

^^^ this is exactly what i did, leg day plus running...
  • watergallagher
    watergallagher Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You did not gain muscle. Period. You gained 10lb of water, assuming you are actually representing things accurately.

Let me explain the math to you:

170lb @ 15% BF (assuming that there actually was an accurate way to measure this - which there is not)

= 25.5lb of fat and 144.5lb of LBM

you gained 10lb of LBM by way of water retention (water is included in LBM)

so, fat is 25.5lb still and LBM is now 155,5lb

= 14% bf.

You did not however lose fat. Woohoo!!!

^^^this makes me sad... why woohoo?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    By volume, muscle is more dense than fat. You are packing on muscle, so you will most definitely weigh more, have a lower body fat percentage, and be completely healthier. The scale for muscular people is pretty much useless for tracking weight loss, b/c you don't lose weight when you gain muscle. BUT, you are most definitely getting healthy! The best way I can thinkn of to describe the fat vs muscle thing is this: if you take a one cup measuring cup and fill it with rice krispies and weigh it...then fill the same size cup with rocks and weigh it....clearly the one with rocks will be heavier. That is what muscle does to you! I say keep up the good work! I'm not really clear on your goals, like dropping pants sizes or body building or what have you, but it sounds like you're making healthy decision thus far.
    You DON'T pack on 10lbs of muscle in 10 days.:laugh: The majority of it is water/glycogen retention.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    eating pretty clean,

discuss

I agree about the comments about it likely being mainly water weight. There is no way you could add enough muscle to both gain 10 pounds and drop your bodyfat by 1 percentage point in just one week. Either your body fat measurements were off or water weight was a big factor.