Anabolic Steroids: A Discussion

Options
124»

Replies

• BaneOfMFPsExistence
    Options
    You say you're kidding, but I believe there are many examples that might just support your position.
    Oh, the government absolutely hates awesomeness. The less awesome the people are, the easier they are to control.

I was kidding about the implication that steroids make one "awesome."
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    In an odd way I agree about the awesomeness joke. 1000 aggressive alpha males are a bit harder to control than 1000 feminized low T keyboard jockeys.

The issue is that there is use for personal improvement or medical normalcy, and then there are the monsters who run 1g of test a week. Take a guess who has a higher likelihood of roid rage.

In the end, today, we have plenty of "legal" steroids marketed as pro hormones. Most of which are methylated androgens formulated to get around the FDA bans but are very damaging to the liver. It's the same as any ban, people find a way to do it anyway, and now it really is dangerous.
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Lets look at this issue in a different way. If your best friend in the whole world (male or female), the kind of friend you would go to the hospital for, the kind of friend that if they had a broken leg you would do their shopping for, the kind of friend that you would donate blood and blood platelettes to were to put a gun to their head and tell you they are going to kill themselves would you stop them?
    The drugs are illegal because they cause a danger to the user and to the people around them. Or did you find a way around roid rage? Lance Armstrong might have been using PEDS before winning the TDF for example why did he get cancer in 3 different parts of his body?
    Alcohol is illegal at a certain level didn't you ever hear of the cops pulling drivers over and doing the breath-alyzer test?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Thus, the question and debate... Why are anabolic steroids illegal? And should they be?

They are illegal because some people think they own your body and have the right to say what you can or can't ingest. It's too bad. The drug war sucks.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I think they're only illegal because of the use in competitive sports. Its unfair to have some people get a competitive edge using steroids while someone else may not want to use them.

No, there were competitive sports *LONG* before the Controlled Substances Act. And some people are simply born with a competitive advantage. (tall, fast, muscular, etc)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Congress banned steroids because of baseball

This.

The American AAS ban is purely because of sports and a few extremely outdated and fraudulent "studies". It was propaganda, nothing more.

When it comes to food and drugs, everything is about propaganda and politics. Just research how the FDA functions. It's enough to make you sick. It all needs to be repealed.
  • katz22
    katz22 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

Thus, the question and debate... Why are anabolic steroids illegal? And should they be?

They are illegal because some people think they own your body and have the right to say what you can or can't ingest. It's too bad. The drug war sucks.

In my opinion the decision to make something illegal is never based soley on the toxicity of the substance. There is always a whole range of factors, and yes, these include politics and public opinion. With anabolic steroids I choose never to take them, even if they were regulated and easily available, as from what I've read the results are not sustainable, there is a need for extra supplements, and the risk of side effects is too great (too much hair, big jaw [I already have one] , disruption of normal hormone function) Although I do believe every adult can decide themselves what they want to put into their bodies, not everyone is responsible about it. If you have ever had the misfortune of renting a room in the same house as a stoner, you will know what I mean.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

In my opinion the decision to make something illegal is never based soley on the toxicity of the substance. There is always a whole range of factors, and yes, these include politics and public opinion. With anabolic steroids I choose never to take them, even if they were regulated and easily available, as from what I've read the results are not sustainable, there is a need for extra supplements, and the risk of side effects is too great (too much hair, big jaw [I already have one] , disruption of normal hormone function) Although I do believe every adult can decide themselves what they want to put into their bodies, not everyone is responsible about it. If you have ever had the misfortune of renting a room in the same house as a stoner, you will know what I mean.

I agree. If they legalized crack cocaine, I *still* wouldn't smoke it, but that doesn't mean another grown up doesn't have the right to kill themselves with it. And, I never rented a room to a stoner, but nearly everyone I know uses cannabis, at least casually, if not regularly. There is always going to be that one who is irresponsible. But don't punish the rest of society.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    My trainer doesn't use roids. Doesn't need them. He benches 365 no problem.
    He is also a D1 NCAA weight and strength coach.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Steroids are illegal for one reason...........politics.

If anyone's not seen "Bigger, Stronger, Faster", it's actually a great documentary to see because it takes a valid look at steroid use.
    If steroids are as dangerous as the government alleges, then there should be a few thousand dead users from it due to HRT therapy.

Who are the one's with health issues? It's usually gonna be the mega dosing bodybuilders who are using a plethora of steroids stacked together. Like any other drug, abuse will cause health issues.

I haven't used steroids nor condone steroid use, but from much research (a lot coming from the Journal of Metabolism and Clinical Endocrinology) that I've read, it's not as dangerous as proponents make it out to be.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    well, i can say from experience that i had to have steroid injections done on my spine for 14 yrs. the result of that was i became a diabetic. it stopped my pancreas from functioning. i am now almost insulin resistant to artificial diabetic meds. now, i have to take several different kinds of insulin every time i put anything in my mouth. not a very pleasant thing to live with. the drs. knew what it could do to me but never mentioned it to me until after they found my blood sugar levels over 500 which should and always was 90. so do not mention steroids to me because i get a little ticked off about it . are they good for you? I DO NOT THINK SO!
    Anabolic steroids? Or Corticosteroids? There's a HUGE difference between the two you know. I've never heard of anabolic steroids used in spinal injection, but do know they use corticosteroids for this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • soliddreams
    Options
    Yeah, for the most part, people who say "Steroids are super duper dangerous!" are people who don't understand how they work and just accept what others say.

http://thinksteroids.com/articles/steroids-hypocrisy-ethics-performance-enhancement/
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    If you are living in the states, then supposedly, you own yourself.

As long as it hurts no one but you, who is anyone to say what you can ingest? Know the risks, weigh the risks, decide. When it hurts someone else, innocently, then and only then should John Law and Uncle Sam step in.

If not, how do you own your body?