George Foreman Grill

Options

Replies

• laural007
    laural007 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I love my GFG! I never thought about cooking sandwiches, yum!

After I'm done cooking I will unplug/turn off the grill and wet about 3 paper towels, close the lid and let the steam take off the crustees (sp?) while we eat dinner and then clean up is so much easier!
  • keewee
    keewee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    love my grill. I never put it away. There are so many things you can cook in it. I have used mine for cooking toasted sandwiches, chicken, reheated slices of leftover rare prime rib (these are not on my diet very often now) Tonight I had taken some sliced leftover ham from last Thanksgiving from the freezer, popped it in the grill, and voila, hot ham for my hubbie's dinner. You will find, with a little experimenting, there is a lot you can cook in the grill.
  • Raphi
    Raphi Posts: 124 Member
    Options

After I'm done cooking I will unplug/turn off the grill and wet about 3 paper towels, close the lid and let the steam take off the crustees (sp?) while we eat dinner and then clean up is so much easier!

I do that too :) And we clean it with white vinegar: It dissolves the grease and disinfects at the same time
  • LessofLeeAnna
    Options

I do that too :) And we clean it with white vinegar: It dissolves the grease and disinfects at the same time

I do the wet towel trick but have never heard of the white veinegar idea. I will definitely give that one a try!! Either way, cooking on the George is no where near as messy as having oil splatter all over the stovetop!! long live George!
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I love my george!
    Here's a tip: wrap your chicken breasts loosely in sarah wrap and pound them flat. they cook more evenly and faster, and stay juicy.

I also like to grill ham steak and pineapple rings on mine. Grilled pineapple is wonderful. Sprinkle it with a little brown sugar to kind of carmelize it.

I've also cooked beef, salmon burgers, fish, etc on mine. It's very versatile.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    HA! I knew I'd find George in the archives:tongue: I was just going to start a thread.

Ok, so what size is everyone using? What's the best one to buy, isn't there like a million variations out there? Pullout plates or not? I probably don't really need one bigger than 2 or so chicken breast size. Ohh that made no sense...time pinch, I bet you'll figure that out:bigsmile:

Think I'll pick one up today so I'll check back and hope to see lots of great tips from you George Fans:drinker: :wink:

Thanks Gang:drinker:

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    i hve the champ. its a small one and works great for me and DH. I read in reviews that the ones with removable plates didn't heat up as much and one of the things I like about the forman is that it heats up so fast and so hot. so I am glad I got the original version. its not that hard to clean up at all.
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have a big one, not sure what it is called but I got it ages ago before they had a ton to choose from. I LOVE it, my daughter moved out right before I started eating healthy and I said she could take it with her. Now WHY did I do that?
    She has no cooking experience and is using it all the time. So easy, a pampered only child can use it.
    I love to make sweet potato "chips"? on it. I slice the sweet pot spray both sides with spray butter and let it rip. Takes no time at all and you can sprinkle them with cinn/sugar !!! if you want YIKES , Doesn't take much sugar so dont be hatin'
    Also use it for fish , I put it on frozen. Quesidillas are great on the GF. Burgers, and my all time favorite is chicken.
    Pretty much what ever you want to cook can be done on the GF, well not soup or spaghetti, but you get the drift.:noway:
    Look online for recipes, I'm sure you will find what you need.
    Good Luck and enjoy !
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I bought one. Way back when. It's in my pantry now with all the other "time-saving" gadgets. I come accross it ocassionally when I am looking for my Jack La Lane Juicer or Ronco Rotisseirie, Electric Food Dehydrator, Cuisinart Food Processor, Presto Wafflemaker or Pasta Maker.

They are great time savers, but I'm always having to move them and then clean the shelving with Kaboom and my Shamwow.

Lately I just do all my cutting on the cutting board with a cleaver and then throw it on the grill or in an old fashioned skillet. Going old school.
  • mooz
    mooz Posts: 101
    Options
    I bought mine about a year ago at Walmart. I picked it up at 50% off - its the biggest one they had. Easily fits 6 chicken breasts or 6 large burgers. I love it. I dont use it often in the summer because we grill outside but in the winter it's always on my counter ready to go!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I have a big one, not sure what it is called but I got it ages ago before they had a ton to choose from. I LOVE it, my daughter moved out right before I started eating healthy and I said she could take it with her. Now WHY did I do that?
    She has no cooking experience and is using it all the time. So easy, a pampered only child can use it.
    I love to make sweet potato "chips"? on it. I slice the sweet pot spray both sides with spray butter and let it rip. Takes no time at all and you can sprinkle them with cinn/sugar !!! if you want YIKES , Doesn't take much sugar so dont be hatin'
    Also use it for fish , I put it on frozen. Quesidillas are great on the GF. Burgers, and my all time favorite is chicken.
    Pretty much what ever you want to cook can be done on the GF, well not soup or spaghetti, but you get the drift.:noway:
    Look online for recipes, I'm sure you will find what you need.
    Good Luck and enjoy !
    whaaaaaaaaa??? no soup??? LOL

Great info!! Thanks, silly me never even thought to Google the different types. :flowerforyou:

I think the Champ sounds about right for my house :) Thanks for that info on the Champ rjadams :drinker: Ok, gonna keep reading here lol

Becca
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I bought one. Way back when. It's in my pantry now with all the other "time-saving" gadgets. I come accross it ocassionally when I am looking for my Jack La Lane Juicer or Ronco Rotisseirie, Electric Food Dehydrator, Cuisinart Food Processor, Presto Wafflemaker or Pasta Maker.

They are great time savers, but I'm always having to move them and then clean the shelving with Kaboom and my Shamwow.

Lately I just do all my cutting on the cutting board with a cleaver and then throw it on the grill or in an old fashioned skillet. Going old school.
    happy0194.gif

OMG!! I SO understand where you're coming from, yeaaaa, those ads get ya everytime, don't they though, thinking we're gonna be doing all sorts of dehydrating, juicing, waffling, pasta makin.:laugh:

Ohhhhh and and the fry daddy... ROFL Like that is SO not being used these days, I think I actually gave that and the juicer to someone on Freecycle.

You crack me up with this post:tongue:

Well from what I've read and what you've shared, you're the quite the cook and 'gonna be' chef so I'd be whipping things up your way myself if I was in that category. :drinker: I don't have an area to grill, I'd be all for that if I did!!

So it'll be George doing the grilling here. Way way too hot to use the oven, I don't even know when I last used it this Summer. I've been using the Crockpot ALOT but hey, you can only get so excited about that if it's what you use all the time:noway: :tongue:

Thanks,
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Ok, just found one on sale locally, cool! 'The next generation' Champ is now out at double, well more than double the price and way bigger than I'm looking for. I called a few places and the original had been clearanced out. I'm a lucky duck today and did find an original 'champ. Thanks to all of you for your input and thoughts on George! :tongue:

Ah, btw, I just saw a short video on a website where they were cooking scrambled eggs on it:noway: So why not soup? JK :laugh: But it really likes you could do so much on it, again I appreciate you all taking time for the tips & tricks you shared and I will check the web for more ideas.

Think I'll keep using a frying pan for eggs though, goin' old school on that one with Val!:wink:

Have a great weekend all,
  • RoadDog
    Options

happy0194.gif

OMG!! I SO understand where you're coming from, yeaaaa, those ads get ya everytime, don't they though, thinking we're gonna be doing all sorts of dehydrating, juicing, waffling, pasta makin.:laugh:

Ohhhhh and and the fry daddy... ROFL Like that is SO not being used these days, I think I actually gave that and the juicer to someone on Freecycle.

You crack me up with this post:tongue:

Well from what I've read and what you've shared, you're the quite the cook and 'gonna be' chef so I'd be whipping things up your way myself if I was in that category. :drinker: I don't have an area to grill, I'd be all for that if I did!!

So it'll be George doing the grilling here. Way way too hot to use the oven, I don't even know when I last used it this Summer. I've been using the Crockpot ALOT but hey, you can only get so excited about that if it's what you use all the time:noway: :tongue:

Thanks,

Damn. Forgot about the Fry Daddy. Got one of those too.

Remodeled my kitchen a few years back and put in a pantry just for all these specialty items. Also put in a second oven. The irony is that I love to BBQ and I spend most evenings out in the back BBQing. I do all the cooking in my house, and, unless my wife is having a wine-tasting party or one of my daughters asks for something that I can't BBQ, I rarely use my kitchen except as a prep station.
  • rjadams
    Options
    so your BBQ is either covered or you like to stand in the rain. :wink:
  • RoadDog
    Options

I have three. A charcoal and a gas grill under cover, and a Texas style charcoal BBQ on an open deck. I've also got an in-ground fire pit with a custom grill that fits over the top for use when necessary.

It's my birthday tomorrow. One daughter asked for Baby Back Ribs and Hot Legs (like wings, but she likes legs), another asked for brisket and my wife asked for Tri Tips, so I will have everything going except the fire pit.

I'm the Tong Master.
  • rjadams
    Options

I have three. A charcoal and a gas grill under cover, and a Texas style charcoal BBQ on an open deck. I've also got an in-ground fire pit with a custom grill that fits over the top for use when necessary.

It's my birthday tomorrow. One daughter asked for Baby Back Ribs and Hot Legs (like wings, but she likes legs), another asked for brisket and my wife asked for Tri Tips, so I will have everything going except the fire pit.

I'm the Tong Master.

Yum what time should I be down? :laugh: :laugh: Happy 56!
  • RoadDog
    Options

I'm the Tong Master.

Yum what time should I be down? :laugh: :laugh: Happy 56!

Starts coming off the grill about 4 pm. BTW, you could catch a ride with my Sister in Law. She is coming down from Issiqua this evening.

mike
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    We get a large box 1/4 lb burgers from sams club and cook those on there. I have done bacon on it before at the same time as the burgers and they turn out very well. I have tried to do stakes once, but they were too thick and I have to cut them in half for them to cook all the way through.

I have not thought about putting my sandwiches in there. I'll have to try that.
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have a mini, blue one that my brother won as a door prize a long time ago. LOL I forget I have it sometimes, because I rarely eat meat, but I like this one because it's just big enough if you're cooking for one.

When my bro lived with me he used it every day, so I would buy hamburger meat in bulk and then use my hamburger press to make patties and then wrapped them individually in wax paper and stored them in the freezer in a large ziploc bag. That way he could just grab a couple patties and throw them on the grill. You can do the same thing with chicken breasts.