Can you eat anything you want?

Options
13»

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    yes, he will lose weight. no, he will not be healthy.

Bull.
    Yes, eat what you like, yes he will be healthy if he eats a minimum of food with sufficient micronutrients and eats the needed protein and fat.

Phelps, of Olympic fame, eats what a lot of people would consider "unhealthy food" but keeps winning those medals.
    Like Dav, I eat whatever I like, within reason, at a calorie deficit and am healthy.
  • drgmac
    drgmac Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I don't think so, at least in the short run. If a person eats a lot of refined carbs such as white bread and crackers, these things turn into sugar and spike your glycemic index. This means your body will secrete more insulin and shoot your blood sugar levels down after they have spiked. This is because, although these products are not sugar, they are converted into sugar and the body treats them as such. As a result, when the levels drop, you will become hungry, dizzy, lightheaded, etc. and then have the urge to eat more and possibly the same things to repeat the pattern. This is a very dangerous cycle.

I do not eat refined carbs of any kind and I feel much better for doing so. I eat a lot of protein which keeps hunger at bay and helps to burn fat at to build muscle...building muscle ultimately burns MORE calories. This cycle is much more figure and health friendly than the former.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    your question .... can you eat anything you wont, yes of cors you can, and as much as you wont as well, big mountains of food yes burgers fries cakes anything .......... but if you wont to live healthy live a better quality of life , you shouldnt WONT TO EAT ANYTHING.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Be careful. If he's under his calorie limit then yes he will lose weight, but he may become malnourished. There is a difference between being 'undernourished' and 'malnourished'.

'undernourished' means you haven't had enough food. He won't have that problem. But 'malnourished' means you may get enough food, but you haven't got enough nutrients. There's no way he'll be able to get enough vitamin C, calcium, iron, potassium, vitamin D, B-vitamins, omega 3, etc just from going to McDonalds every day.

He may feel full enough and he may lose weight but he will start to suffer the consequences of not enough nutrients in his diet. He may get very ill.

we've now gone from religion to pure fantasy. please define malnourished. do you think that the mere act of slicing potatoes and frying them changes their chemical composition? 1 potato is half of your vitamin C and about a third of your potassium. It's also 20% of your iron. it's even got calcium, but even better, a chocolate shake from McD's is 33% of your calcium. drink up.

since my divorce last year, almost all of my food comes from one fast food joint or another. yet i can run 8 miles without slowing down for a sip of water. when the run is over, i can lift the back of your car off the ground with my bare hands (kidding, as we know i'll be wearing gloves). this is malnourished?

i turned 40 last year and had my second kid, so i got all two complete physicals at different points of the year. all this malnourishment, clogged arteries, high sugar levels, cholesterol, none of it showed in either test. The first test came back good, but the one 6 months later came back great. That was 6 months ago, before I could run half a mile without stopping, and when i was still 25 lbs away from goal weight.

I'm not advocating eating exclusively at mcdonalds or eating junk food every day, all day, but you guys can't just make up your facts to as you go along.
  • Poetry_In_Pics
    Options
    I actually eat whatever my family eats for the most part (with some modifications here and there) ... I just measure & portion it out and have been very successful. Granted, when I go to McDonald's I get a salad... but yes, if he stays under the recommended calories for the day he should still lose weight. :smile:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'm not advocating eating exclusively at mcdonalds or eating junk food every day, all day, but you guys can't just make up your facts to as you go along.

Why not? Do you have a peer reviewed article saying I can not?

OP, try slipping in some ALLI into his diet, this pretty much will force him to eat clean.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Be careful. If he's under his calorie limit then yes he will lose weight, but he may become malnourished. There is a difference between being 'undernourished' and 'malnourished'.

'undernourished' means you haven't had enough food. He won't have that problem. But 'malnourished' means you may get enough food, but you haven't got enough nutrients. There's no way he'll be able to get enough vitamin C, calcium, iron, potassium, vitamin D, B-vitamins, omega 3, etc just from going to McDonalds every day.

He may feel full enough and he may lose weight but he will start to suffer the consequences of not enough nutrients in his diet. He may get very ill.

we've now gone from religion to pure fantasy. please define malnourished. do you think that the mere act of slicing potatoes and frying them changes their chemical composition? 1 potato is half of your vitamin C and about a third of your potassium. It's also 20% of your iron. it's even got calcium, but even better, a chocolate shake from McD's is 33% of your calcium. drink up.

since my divorce last year, almost all of my food comes from one fast food joint or another. yet i can run 8 miles without slowing down for a sip of water. when the run is over, i can lift the back of your car off the ground with my bare hands (kidding, as we know i'll be wearing gloves). this is malnourished?

i turned 40 last year and had my second kid, so i got all two complete physicals at different points of the year. all this malnourishment, clogged arteries, high sugar levels, cholesterol, none of it showed in either test. The first test came back good, but the one 6 months later came back great. That was 6 months ago, before I could run half a mile without stopping, and when i was still 25 lbs away from goal weight.

success-kid-winning-meme.jpg
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    your question .... can you eat anything you wont, yes of cors you can, and as much as you wont as well, big mountains of food yes burgers fries cakes anything .......... but if you wont to live healthy live a better quality of life , you shouldnt WONT TO EAT ANYTHING.
    I am wont to eat whatever I want in moderation.