Please stop this insanity.

Options

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i wonder how many of the spelling sticklers can solve a calculus equation or explain maxwell's equations in plain and simple terms :laugh:

in any case, i always picture the "loosing weight" people saying it like mr. burns from the simpsons : "smithers let loose the weight"
  • scrangelina
    Options
    Wow I'm absolutely amazed Americans haven't heard of the word whinging. It's a great word, used in Australia too, and is has subtle differences from the word whining. It's somebody who 'complains persistently and in a peevish or irritating way'.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm absolutely amazed Americans haven't heard of the word whinging. It's a great word, used in Australia too, and is has subtle differences from the word whining. It's somebody who 'complains persistently and in a peevish or irritating way'.

Nope, I have never encountered it before.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Another one that confuses me is "I weighted myself" as opposed to 'weighed'
    Is this a language based thing?

It's a typing brain fart thing - I type it all the time by mistake, and just hope to notice it before I hit send/reply/post.

edited: I felt the need to use the more accurate way of showing a contraction due to the subject matter of the post, so added the thingy.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    UZbNP.png
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    It will never change... people are determined to 'loose' weight! I just accept it and read it as lose now... I even get confused when people say their clothes are loose. Drives me crazy. Yes, whinging is completely right, you weren't whinging.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Another one that confuses me is "I weighted myself" as opposed to 'weighed'
    Is this a language based thing?

It's a typing brain fart thing - I type it all the time by mistake, and just hope to notice it before I hit send/reply/post.

edited: I felt the need to use the more accurate way of showing a contraction due to the subject matter of the post, so added the thingy.

I've never spotted you doing that, Sara, but I have spotted it a lot on the forums, mainly from Americans. I wonder if it's an air-borne spelling error :laugh: (Did I get 'air-borne' right?)
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    *crosses one of the list* ,Just need three more.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Excuse me sir, can you spare some loose weight?
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    when-comforting-a-grammar-nazi-17751.jpg
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    i wonder how many of the spelling sticklers can solve a calculus equation or explain maxwell's equations in plain and simple terms :laugh:

in any case, i always picture the "loosing weight" people saying it like mr. burns from the simpsons : "smithers let loose the weight"

:raises hand:

Since we're on the subject, I agree that it's a general failure of education and/or learning. Especially so when I see people constantly use then for than and vice versa.
  • BaneOfMFPsExistence
    Options
    Making grammatical errors whilst correcting the grammar of others.

Oh Irony, you can be so ironic sometimes. ;)
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Who made a grammatical error?
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    You misspelled "whining" which made me smile at the irony. :flowerforyou: :happy:

We use whinging here in the UK, so it's correct for me and many others here ha ha

And being that you Americans speak ENGLISH anything you misspell or mispronounce is actually wrong :tongue:
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    You misspelled "whining" which made me smile at the irony. :flowerforyou: :happy:

We use whinging here in the UK, so it's correct for me and many others here ha ha

And being that you Americans speak ENGLISH anything you misspell or mispronounce is actually wrong :tongue:

I hate American English, it's just so damn confusing when I'm trying to spell colour and my mac tells me I'm wrong....honestly ! So many words that drive me insane, I even had to get an Oxford dictionary out to spell check an entire essay!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Many do not know the distinction between grammar and punctuation. Welcome to MFP. After a while, your brain will read all the mistakes, correctly.
  • BaneOfMFPsExistence
    Options
    Virtually everyone that corrects the grammar of others on most Internet forums. It amuses me.
  • BaneOfMFPsExistence
    Options
    Many do not know the distinction between grammar and punctuation. Welcome to MFP. After a while, your brain will read all the mistakes, correctly.
    Case in point.
  • ruurik
    ruurik Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    We should all have two trackers. One for losing and another for loosing. Let's see which fares the best. Settle this once and for all!!!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    What is whinging? She also used the semi colon incorrectly.

It's just like whining but without the G.