Replies

• Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    18-MONTH PROGRESS (end of June, 2013)

Endof18Monthsslide1_zps5050e312.jpg

Endof18Monthsslide2_zpsf0391ef9.jpg

20130920_zpsa0485783.jpg

^^^ Today, September 20, 2013. Back at the gym, getting back into lifting heavy, after a 6- week hiatus due to vacation + cataract-surgery recovery. I'm 44 years old. I am 5'9" tall and today I weighed 147.0 lbs.

Wow. The difference is amazing. You look gorgeous in your pink/black gym gear, too! x
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,993 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm still a work-in-progress.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Me at 5'6" and 185 pounds
    2dtnqit.jpg

and some more recent pics around 122-125 pounds
    2en4upz.png

2whferm.png

I am still pear shaped and I want to lose more on the tops of my thighs and my butt, but overall I'm really happy with my progress and I'm almost to my goal! hopefully these pics all post at a normal size!
  • lftilbury
    lftilbury Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am the epitome of the pear-shaped body. Small waist, large hips and lots of junk in the trunk.
    I find that trikking and cutting sugar out have helped immensely. I will send you a picture if you think you need to see it.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Most women who are truly pear shaped become smaller pears. They lose weight in their lower half last, but there's still more fat there than you would find in another shape. It's genetics.
    in my experience, this is true! Your shape will most likely stay but you'll just be a smaller pear! I like this shape though, so I don't mind :flowerforyou: But I am struggling to lose the last bit of unwanted fat on my upper legs, it's definitely the last to go for me!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    2dtnqit.jpg

2en4upz.png

2whferm.png

I am still pear shaped and I want to lose more on the tops of my thighs and my butt, but overall I'm really happy with my progress and I'm almost to my goal! hopefully these pics all post at a normal size!

Oh gosh, you and I could almost be twinsies! Same height, same shape, same goal weight. You look fabulous - what a transformation! FR sent. :smile:
  • crys_aintgivingup
    crys_aintgivingup Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Awesome transformations!! Really gives me hope :D

May I ask what exercises worked best for you if you were originally pear shaped?
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Most women who are truly pear shaped become smaller pears. They lose weight in their lower half last, but there's still more fat there than you would find in another shape. It's genetics.
    in my experience, this is true! Your shape will most likely stay but you'll just be a smaller pear! I like this shape though, so I don't mind :flowerforyou: But I am struggling to lose the last bit of unwanted fat on my upper legs, it's definitely the last to go for me!

Best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I've always had a big bottom. While most of the weight I've lost has shown more in my waist, my butt and thighs are slimmer. My mom told me the other day that my butt was shrinking. Of course, I know will always be a pear.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures. I've been avoiding cameras for years and I only recently started taking any pictures of myself.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    I've always had a big bottom. While most of the weight I've lost has shown more in my waist, my butt and thighs are slimmer. My mom told me the other day that my butt was shrinking. Of course, I know will always be a pear.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures. I've been avoiding cameras for years and I only recently started taking any pictures of myself.

At my lowest weight ever, 88, I was very slim, but a very slim pear. When I was young, all my fat went to my butt, now it goes to my but hips and upper thighs. It's genetics and biochemical changes as I age.
  • bex4health
    bex4health Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    2dtnqit.jpg

2en4upz.png

2whferm.png

Congrats! What an amazing transformation!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I'm a pear and I have lost a lot of inches in my lower half. My legs are starting to tone nicely as well.
  • valnoxious
    Options
    Did running help you?
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My friend is a pear shape and she lost about 40 pounds. Unfortunately I don't have her before and after picture...
  • emilybeatrice1
    emilybeatrice1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am a pear shape, recently i just completed the Brazilian Butt workout and it works!!! my butt is still the biggest part of my body but it looks so much better. Now im working on the Chalean Extreme videos. i have some pics on my profile. I'm 5'7 and currently 167lbs. i started at 256 a few years ago.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    I received this email from a trainer whose ebook I bought, "Visual Impact for Women." He talked about how when he was doing heavy squats he could barely fit into his jeans because squats made his lower body bigger and he eventually decided that a slimmer look was more attractive. Here's an excerpt on what he said about women, which I believe to be true:

"People find a woman with a nice butt, put up a picture and attribute it all to squats.

The message? Want a butt like this...then do squats!

The "butt region" (scientific term)...is largely genetic for women.

There are countless Victoria's Secret models and Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition models that have never been near a squat and have great butts.

A large portion of having a nice butt is being lucky enough to have even fat distribution over this area.

You can build up the muscle underneath the fat.

...but in many cases that is just going to mean you will go up a few sized in jeans.

In my experience, most women have ample muscle size in their lower bodies.

If you want larger thighs and butt...then by all means squat.

It isn't a useless exercise.

It is only useless if you want to slim down your lower body.

...and if you are a man or woman satisfied with your leg size.

Do not squat!

Stick to interval training, HIIT, to tighten up the lower body without adding size.

Want a bigger upper body?

Train your upper body.

(I know...totally mind blowing advice)."
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I received this email from a trainer whose ebook I bought, "Visual Impact for Women." He talked about how when he was doing heavy squats he could barely fit into his jeans because squats made his lower body bigger and he eventually decided that a slimmer look was more attractive. Here's an excerpt on what he said about women, which I believe to be true:

"People find a woman with a nice butt, put up a picture and attribute it all to squats.

There are countless Victoria's Secret models and Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition models that have never been near a squat and have great butts.

A large portion of having a nice butt is being lucky enough to have even fat distribution over this area.

...but in many cases that is just going to mean you will go up a few sized in jeans.

Do not squat!

Stick to interval training, HIIT, to tighten up the lower body without adding size.

Train your upper body.

I ♥ this post!! I have been afraid to even DARE suggest that I will NOT squat heavy EVER, because when I did, I got a bigger bottom that I wanted. My bottom is already quite round, I don't need to build MORE muscle on it. I do squats with NO WEIGHTS in order to tone it, and I'm good.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Do not squat!

Train your upper body.

I disagree with almost all of this.

Maybe all of it.

Oh well. I have heavy squats to do and a pear shaped body/big booty and thighs to slim down with those heavy squats. Maybe one day this whole 'Building muscle under the fat' will happen or I'll magically stop slimming down while lifting heavy/suddenly make my bottom half larger. Maybe.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

Do not squat!

Train your upper body.

NO!!!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    it is really frustrating to try to have a good conversation about this and then tout person comes in with incorrect information...EVERY TIME.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!