I have a COCA COLA ADDICTION!

Options
So..Yes Im addicted to Coca Cola.. Specifically Coca Cola. When I typically don't drink coke then I get migraines and become moody.. I was ranging between 2-8 cans of coke a day. I would go to sleep drinking a coke and wake up with a fresh coke on my nightstand.. However the bright side of things is its been 3 days without a coke! & my headaches went away.. But now my question is has anyone else ever done this before(have a addiction to soda(coke) and quit), how much weight did you lose?.. How long did it take you to lose weight?.. I also am only drinking water as a beverage since i quit drinking coke!

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I cant say I was addicted to Coke....but I LOVE it. I drank it quite a bit.

I haven't had a Coke since I started here in May. I admit to missing it but I no longer crave it. They say that cutting soda out of your diet will take off 10 pounds a year without doing anything else. I think thats VERY accurate. :)
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Switch to diet
  • sarahmartin2013
    Options
    I am just drinking water. Btw I heard diet has something in it thats not good for you as well!
  • Brandnewme150
    Brandnewme150 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    So do I, I switched to coke zero and I've never looked back. :)
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Yes I was addicted and yes I quit (cold turkey). Drink more water and then just do it.
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to regular Coca Cola for a very long time(10 years old to adulthood). I switched to Diet Coke and lost 10 pounds (not while on mfp). I am now (mostly) Cola-free. I watched a documentary about aspartame and that allowed me to get off any Diet Soda w/o hesitation.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I was never twisted enough to have a Coca-cola addiction, but 3 years ago I quit drinking Pepsi. I was downing a 2liter a day easily. I wasn't on the weight loss wagon, so no idea what it did for my weight, if anything. I don't regret giving it up, though I do have a "celebratory" half can of Pepsi on New Years (though this year my mom drank my dang soda before I could, dammit.)

I don't recall the withdrawals, but I am sure they weren't pretty and I am positive I was not a great person to deal with. The one thing I can tell you that got hard, at first, was going out to dinner. Habitually you order a soda. It took a long time for me to accept ordering water, or a juice, while out to dinner was just fine. Now I order margaritas! :drinker:

I find that when all is said and done, I just miss the carbonation. The sweet prickles of nomnom.. Good luck, and hope you stick it out. Diet sodas just do not taste the same. Yack!
  • murphinchina
    Options
    Hey man, great job. It's a big thing, a really big thing for losing weight. The caffeine addiction is what gives you the headaches and moodiness, I've just done the same thing myself. I always started the day with a 20 oz. bottle of Pepsi (or Coke, depending on my mood) and a couple cups of coffee. Trying to cut down on the sugar is the biggest thing, artificial sweeteners are difficult to find and very pricey here.

About the weight loss. In the past (before I got old) dropping sodas from my diet and not eating after 7PM... those two things alone would show a significant weight loss in a month, for me. Last time I tried, I was about 240 lbs. Dropped down to about 220 lbs in less than 2 months, HOWEVER... I was also much more active at that time.

Anyway, best of luck to you!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    whether you need to quit or not I dont know but if you want to quit and get migraines that is most likely caffeine withdrawal

you can either cut back slowly and adapt or take excederin (has caffeine with aspirin) or take caffeine pills (jet alert at wal mart) or switch to black coffee (my choice)
  • brittDbritt
    Options
    the headachs you had was because of the caffee withdraw.I use to drink nothing but soda and my doctor told me to stop because i was having chest pains.i switched to sparkleing flavored water and that helped me get use to not driking soda.plus lost 20 pounds in a years time and i couldnt be happier :happy: but i have started drinking some decalf soda i just limit myself on how much i drink.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    so I didn't have it with coca cola but with Monster, which I believe is a worse addiction because of the high amounts of caffeine.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    1) Read Skinny B!tch
    2) Drink more water and herbal teas

You will NOT want soda anymore of any kind. diet is no better. I have sparkling water or kombucha when i want something fizzy!!!
  • thinkdavis
    Options
    I've been drinking at least one bottle of pepsi (die) a day since grade 8 -- eek. I'm working on cutting back to max 1 bottle/day (down from upwards of 1-3 bottles), and its hard.

Right now I'm trying to get off all the artificial sweeteners and caffeine -- I found a drink at whole foods called Steaz that I've been drinking a lot of latley -- its green tea based, and doesn't have nearly as much crap as pepsi does.

With that said, I'm finding I still get the afternoon headaches and my energy levels suck as I get used to the lack of caffeine in me.

I've also done the monster/rockstar binge where I was having upwards of 2 cans/day, which was making me jittery and having problems sleep. I've stopped drinking those all together before xmas, and happy to say I think I broke that addiction. That was not only expensive, but just bad for you -- too much sugar/caffiene for anyone's good!
  • WickedPixie1
    WickedPixie1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I had a serious Coke addiction since early childhood!
    I have quit. I did it cold turkey too.
    I was lucky enough to escape the migraines and withdrawal because I kept myself well hydrated.
    The weightloss from it took a week or so, but it wasn't so much the weight as it was bloating from all that gas and water retention. My stomach really shrunk...which was awesome when I took the tape measure to it...8 inches gone! I also found that my stomach didn't feel solid anymore either...it went squishy :) weights will cure that!
    I still have it from time to time...especially when I'm drinking, it's my mixer of choice. I can take it or leave it now and I don't get headaches or cravings for it anymore, which is nice!
    I find the better I eat, the cravings for sweet and sugary diminish and I only suffer from occasional cravings which can be overcome a lot easier.
  • Aitm20
    Aitm20 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to coke since I was 8. I would drink it with Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, snacks, heck I would even swallow pills with it. If I didn't have one by noon I'd have a headache. I still love it, its the nectar of the gods but there's noooo way you can lose the flab drinking it. I would even try & work in the calories for 44oz of Coke a day. That's 500+ calories! Eek! Anyways too much sugar, gave it up cold turkey. As soon as I gave it up my belly started getting flatter. Yes, there were headaches and I was miserable and a raging ***** for weeks but I couldn't let Coke control me anymore. I control me.
  • PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hello My name is Niki and I too am a recovering soda/caffeine addict. I drank a 6 pack a day for years. I went cold turkey and had one week of hell, and never looked back
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to Diet Dr. Peppers and my doc told me he wanted me off all carbonated drinks. He didn't care if I drank tea or coffee, just not the carbonated drinks. I took up adding peach tea to my water and I drink that, coffee in the mornings, and lots of plain water.
  • sarahmartin2013
    Options
    congrats to all of you going thru the same struggle I'm going thru and gaining back control and not letting coke win!... This is day 3 for me and I have not had a coke.. I also would take medicine with coke.. and have it at every meal.. I wouldn't drink anything else.. drinking water is so different! I seem to have to pee sooo much! lol
  • neillfrancis
    neillfrancis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Christmas 2011 I got hooked on Coke over the holidays and put on an extra 10 kilos, plus I was already a little over weight. It took me a year to lose the 10 kilos and about 5 weeks to put it on. I no longer crave Coke but that took months to go away. Trying to lose another 5 Kilos and then I will be happy. Coke addiction never again :smile: that stuff is dangerous.
  • Berlygirl10
    Options
    Switch to diet

don't switch to diet :) I am trying to kick the diet coke habit and I am in the same boat as you.. I haven't even been able to go a day with out.. I have made it to noon the last two days.. goodluck and stick too it. I think once you make it through the headaches you will be ok.. I wrote a blog entry about it today and felt like I was writing about alcohol or a drug addiction. I just crave it always and I know the stuff isn't good for me. Goodluck!!!