SAHM 3/1 - 3/7

Options
Hi everyone! We are a great group of stay at home mom's that share our life experiences with each other through our weight loss journey. We don't have any official weigh in's or challenges, but are here to encourage and support each other. We welcome newcomers!

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Rabbit, rabbit, ladies! Welcome to a new day and a new month. March comes in like a lion, and out like a lamb, but let's all roar into April like lions!
    Today I had set a goal to run a mile nonstop. I got sick over the weekend with sore throat and cough, and super tired, but no aches and pains. I think I will just try to run as far as I can today without stopping and see where I'm at. Let's call it a pop quiz rather than a test. It looks like it's supposed to be really nice today, so maybe I'll be able to whip out the sidewalk chalk for Grace. She is finally to a point where I feel comfortable enough to put her in the child care at the rec center while I run.
    Turkey chili tonight for dinner.
  • dolphin7
    dolphin7 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Good Morning everyone! Hope all is well with you and yours.

We had a great weekend, yesterday was almost 60º so we went on a short hike to see a waterfall with the kids out in the Owyhee Desert, sinus infection and all, really worked my leg muscles, going up to see the view. Kids had a blast, was great to get some Vitamin D :)

Today I will start exercising again, slowly...., work back into it, but should do fine. After school 2 older kids need hair cuts, then I think we will play at the park and enjoy the sun, while it lasts.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.
  • amypyr
    amypyr Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I had a good weekend family wise, but not health wise. The kids had their first piano recital yesterday afternoon. If it weren't for the kindness and good heart of their teacher to give us a major discount, I couldn't afford to give them piano lessons. She sees how much they love music. Will has been playing for 1.5 yr. He did really well. He was so nervous (even though he denied it) that he made a few mistakes. Samantha has been playing for about 1.5 months. She played a little "song" that she learned in her 2nd lesson. She was not nervous at all and played the piece perfectly! I am so proud of her with how she is playing, and I am so proud of Will for getting up there even though he was nervous (he played the piece perfectly just 30 min before the recital)! The breaks in the truck didn't get fixed this weekend, but Tony got the parts. I'm hoping he gets it done tonight. I only got about half my water in both days and I didn't get much walking in either, unless you count walking slowly through the mall and Target.

My goals for today:
    Walk 2 miles
    Drink 9 cups water
    Do warm-up and Circuit 1 on DVD
  • mlally1014
    mlally1014 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi, I would love to join your group. I am a 33 year old stay at home mom. I have 2 girls ages 7 and 5. I have been trying to lose the same 20 pounds for the past 2 years with very little success. Within the past year I have made a committment to myself and my family to finally put myself on my list and get back in shape. With that I also hope to finally make my goal weight. I am in the best shape since highschool, but the weight is still not moving. Starting to get frustrated and can use all the motivation and support I can get. I would really love to lose 8 pounds by Easter, that would put me back to where I was last Easter. I would also love, love, love to make my goal by my birthday which is July 29th. Plenty of time to lose 20 pounds the right way.
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    welcome mlally! this is a fantastic group!! and just so you know--those last bits are stubborn!! you're not alone in that. :)

amy--glad to hear all the wonderful things about the recital. how beautiful!

dolphin and trish--glad you're feeling better.

the kids won fish at the purim carnival--7 tiny goldfish! fortunately i had a glass hurricane and some green marbles so a tank was born! they had a lot of fun, even riding the ponies.
    still not organized with my week but getting there.

today--water water everywhere! plan my month
    would like to be at 134 by end of march!!! i do well at the start and then lose mojo by the end....

will chk back later
  • steph1499
    steph1499 Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am doing great and this month will be getting back on the wagon. I did my biggest loser wii thing and your shape game yesterday for over 45 mins checking everything out. I will be doing jillians shred dvd today and probably some more wii games. In may we are going away camping and riding our 4 wheelers and would love to lose 20 pounds or more. I have three months to feel better about myself. I hope everyone is doing well
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Gm Ladies!

Welcome Mlally!

Trish- I hope your run goes well foryou!

Dolphin- Gotta love those hikes!

Steph- Welcome back!

Amy- I hope you get the brakes in soon, congrats on the piano recital, it so great when kids are into music!

Stacey- ahhh goldfish...heehee! ours never lasted very long from carnivals.

AS for me- Trying not to be frustrated with the whole plateau thing. I torched like 2800 cals yesterday, 2000 of it just on my run!:noway: :tongue: :laugh: Gotta love those heart rate monitors! So I don't think it's lack of exercise that has me on the plateau! I am tryingto keep chugging along....
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    If you're torching 2,000 calories, you definitely need to be eating them back. Try to keep your net calories above 1200 every day. Hope it helps!
  • curliegirl
    curliegirl Posts: 191
    Options
    Welcome Mially! This is a great group to be a part of--lots of encouragement & we are friends here. Feel free to post about your joys & sorrows w/ being a SAHM --we are with you here!

Amy-don't ya love watching your kids do well? Mine do piano too--they are always nervous even at 13 and 18!

Trish/Dolphin--get better guys! I know you have been battling sickness off and on--take care of yourselves!

My weekend was busy as I posted on Saturday night. I slept a lot yesterday and tried not to think at all. Funny story--I made grilled cheese and soup for lunch. One of my girls was pulling the crusts off to dip in her soup & discovered there was no cheese on her sandwich. I had grilled two pieces of bread w/o the cheese. They thought that was just hysterical! Yes I was beyond tired. :laugh:

I did pretty well on my food with traveling & all. I gained a lb but this morning it was half gone--yeah!

Today's goals

Water--8 glasses--2.5 gone already
    Walk/jog for 30 minutes
    Stay at my calories today--eating most of my exercise calories
    To bed by 10!!!!! Still catching up.

Kim
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Trish- That is what I am trying to do about the net calories...I forget that we have those reports! I know I didn't eat enough cals yesterday, I don't even know how I possibly could, except for eating junk, which i am not going to do.....*sigh* One of us will figure it out eventually!
  • michfitzhome
    michfitzhome Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    if we had this all figured out, we wouldn't still be here!! i sometimes eat some of my exercise and sometimes not, it does depend on how much i burn. when i was preg with trips they wanted me eating 3500 cal a day and without junk, totally impossible even though i tried, i never thought i would get sick of milk shakes and i did,
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    LOTS of trail mix, lol. I have the kirkland select (0 sodium), and it packs 500 cals in 1 cup of nuts and fruit. I don't consider it junk food. You can overload on protein, fruits, and veggies, and still be really healthy. I dunno if you caught the episode of Biggest Loser a few weeks ago where they went to the Olympic training camp in Colorado, but they said many of the Olympians burn 2,000-3,000 calories a day from exercise alone and are chowing down on 4k-5k cals just to maintain. They showed what they were feeding them, too, and it all looked great! I say if you're working that hard, you've earned the right to pig out (but do it the smart way)
  • nicolee516
    Options
    oink oink!:laugh:
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    If I was working as hard as you, Nicole, running 10 miles a day like it's nothing, I'd TOTALLY be oinking on turkey burgers, beans, milkshakes (with protein), and actually enjoying a candy bar or two. I know that sounds terrible, but I really think when you're busting your butt working out, you've earned the right to eat whatever you want, and indulge from time to time.
    By the way... ever notice how AMAZING a candy bar tastes when you haven't had one in MONTHS? Ohmigosh! Totally going to snarf on one when I get to 198 lbs (50 lbs lost)

Anyway, going to take a nap. I decided to go running tonight after dinner. Will have a solid, protein-loaded dinner in my belly to fuel on :)
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Trish- The minute I indulge....and trust me I don't really...I gain....what's that all about? I have 2 beers and a 1/2 a glass of wine Friday night and yo uwould think I commited a crime like going over by 2000 cals, I am up 3 lbs...I hardly ever drink too......
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Nicole, bad examples, LOL. Find something healthier to indulge in.
  • blessdmomof4
    Options
    Hello Ladies!
    Today was my 1st day w/o a workout in over 2 weeks! I just decided to take a rest today. I don't usually workout on Sundays but I would have gone over on cal w/o some time on the TM so I hit the gym and walked for an hour yesterday. I'm trying hard to watch my sodium b/c I now see it as an enemy :angry: and I am also going to scale back on the carbs. I lost a quick 25 lbs going super low carb about 4 years ago. I never went back to the way I had eaten before that (refined carbs) but I'm hoping it will still make a difference now to cut them out while still staying under cals (not easy w/ all the protein laden foods I'll be consuming). When I did lowcarb in the past I didn't pay any attention to fat or calories. Maybe combining the 2 will be effective. My mouth is watering for a bowl of cereal right now though...so we'll see if I make it! Do any of you do any seasonal cleansing or fasting? I was wondering if that sort of thing would help kick through a plateau.

Dolphin - 60 degrees sounds like a dream. I can't wait to get outside in that kind of weather.

Amy - how nice that that kids had a piano recital! We are blessed to have a friend who teaches 2 of my kids and I teach her kids sign language as a swap. I could never afford it otherwise either.

Mlally- welcome. I have a stubborn 20 to work on too. You can do it and the ladies here will be cheering you on every step of the way!

Stacey- we're going to be getting some fish this week too. DS hamster died last night and he said he "can't handle losing another one" and wants to switch to fish b/c it's not as sad when they die :cry: Don't think that you fizzle at the end of the month, you did great the past few weeks!

Kim - grilled cheese w/o cheese is a good one. True sign that mommy is on auto pilot. I hope you get some good rest tonight.

Nicole - I would have no problem eating all those calories! I think Trish is right, dense high protein calories are best to fill it with. I love Lara Bars (date & nut bars) and each one is like 250 cal, you could easily eat 2 for a snack. Idk if you drink whole milk or eat whole milk yogurt / cheese but you could add healthy calories that way too.

Trish - As always, your encouraging words are a blessing...I'm roaring!!

Goals for the month
    Get out of the 190's by St Patty's Day
    Head into April under 185

Goal for the rest of the night...not to eat cereal even though I just bought a new box of Kashi Island Vanilla on the damaged box shelf for 2.00 and it's roaring almost as load as I am...
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Ah, to eat vast amounts of cheese again! Maybe when I am a rocket like Nicole, I can indulge again. I have a weakness for swiss & super sharp cheddar. Melissa, where can I find those Lara Bars? They sound tasty.

Because of my diabetes, it's not safe for me to fast, even though we are encouraged to do so once a month in my religion (I just find other things to fast from that I enjoy). When I feel like I need a cleanse, I whine to my chiropractor. There's this one spot on my gut that he pushes on & it hurts, but it flushes everything out & I feel SO much better the next few days! Maybe look into that, Melissa? It's a whole lot better than wasting money on supplements or other gimmicks :)
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Oh if you look at my diary- I indulge on cheese and yogurt and granola all of the time! I am not into candy bars, or even any kind of desserts for that matter. Beer and wine have always been my "candy bar." I also have to watch, I can't have wheat, soy, or too much corn. That eliminates ALOT! I do occasionally have corn chips, although it has been awhile since I have had them! My diary is public so please feel free to take a peek and tell me if I should add or subtract! I actaully was so discouraged sat I didn't even log dinner, but I know I was under cals, just from what I ate for dinner is similiar to what I have alot of the time.

Trish, I wouldn't call myself a rocket, more of like the energizer bunny, I just keep going and going and going!:laugh:

Melissa- I do cleanses every so often, and they do help with your system and they don't cost much. I have never heard of Lara Bars, where do you get those?
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Here's to a new week! Today was one those days where I probably should have just stayed in bed. :) We're potty training dd1 and she decided this morning to take off her training pants and throw them in the garbage because they were wet. But then a few minutes later needed to go to the bathroom so I walk in and step in a big puddle of pee with a lovely brown surprise next to it! After that she had a blow out in her pants that went all the way down her leg and when I changed her splattered all over my pants. (Of course this is 2 minutes before we were supposed to go to the dr. for dd2's 4 month appointment) I'm heading to bed early since I am subbing tomorrow. We had a church party here yesterday that went great but unfortunately means a lot of leftover goodies that I have to try and resist. I keep forcing them down my hubby's throat. :P

Trish - Turkey chili sounds tasty. Mmmmmmm..........I will have to make that soon. It was leftover shepherd's pie for me tonight. :)

Welcome Mlally! This is a great group of mom's! Checking in every night with these ladies has helped me so much with staying on top of my eating habits. :)

Kim - I loved the story about your cheeseless grilled cheese! :P I make all our families sandwiches at once, and send my hubby's with him as he heads to work. Well, one day I made his and then packed it up and sent it with him. Only to discover I had carefully packed the two pieces of bread I had out to make my own sandwich and kept his already made one with me. He had bread for lunch that day. :P

Nicole - I actually can't just eat whatever and work it off because I have high cholesterol if I do. The good cholesterol I can control with exercise is great, but high cholesterol runs in my family and can only be controlled through diet. So I end up working out and eating in moderation. Seems to keep a nice balance for me. This will get tougher when I start to train for the half marathon later this year. I'm hoping to run a half marathon next January and then move up to a full one the year after that.

Well....off to bed since I actually have to get up early tomorrow! Have a great night!

Valerie