Grr! I am so mad at myself!

Options
I don't even know where to begin. Let's see....

I found out that I had Type 2 Diabetes about 2 years ago and it scared the crap out of me. I started eating better, exercising, etc.... and I lost 107 pounds. Then my husband and I decided that we wanted to have one more baby and I thought that I could continue to lose weight during TTC and pregnancy. Ha. Now I realize that was very unrealistic. I have given up on LOSING until after the baby is born but I still want to MAINTAIN and not gain a ton of weight. I have already gained back 15 or 16 pounds and I am only 18 weeks pregnant.

I am NOT eating right at this point and I keep telling myself that I need to get back on track and stop eating CRAP. But then I just don't DO it. I feel hungry all the time! Every time I walk in the kitchen, I grab a banana or a few chips or a handful of chocolate chips... or a yogurt .... or SOMETHING. And all of those little things add up throughout the day. I have been over my goal just about every day lately.

I am just so frustrated because I know what I need to do and I have DONE it successfully in the past so I don't understand how these cravings and hunger are getting the best of me NOW. What changed?! I don't get it! I did so good for almost 2 years and now all of a sudden, I have no self control?! Ahhh!

Just look at my diary... it is horrible!

OK... vent over : /

Replies

• JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    bump
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Take this with a grain of salt. Okay, talk this with TABLEOADS, FORKLIFTS, AND BULLDOZERS worth of salt - but aren't you supposed to gain significant weight when pregnant anyways? And it sounds like you are keeping the snacking to healthy food, which is a huge accomplishment.

But please remember, I do not have any children. It's is entirely possible I am talking out of my *kitten* and someone will be able to come in here and properly trounce everything I have said.
  • JenMarie8781
    Options
    Take this with a grain of salt. Okay, talk this with TABLEOADS, FORKLIFTS, AND BULLDOZERS worth of salt - but aren't you supposed to gain significant weight when pregnant anyways? And it sounds like you are keeping the snacking to healthy food, which is a huge accomplishment.

But please remember, I do not have any children. It's is entirely possible I am talking out of my *kitten* and someone will be able to come in here and properly trounce everything I have said.

I believe for a woman of average weight, they recommend a gain of 25-40 lb during pregnancy. But I weigh 276. So my doctor told me that it is perfectly fine if I don't gain any or even lose some during pregnancy.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    You are manufacturing a human being inside you right now.

Do you have any idea how much energy it takes to manufacture a human being??

Worry about your body fat %, sure, but DO NOT STEP ON THE SCALE.

Again, I'm just some stranger on the internet but DO NOT STEP ON THE SCALE. Your body is manufacturing organs (placenta) and protective fluids (amniotic) and a whole person. You should gain some weight, right?

DO NOT STEP ON THE SCALE. Eat healthy foods and plenty of protein.
  • salsagal36
    salsagal36 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    During pregnancy you are going to increase in weight. You are meant to.

You have increased blood volume (by up to a third), you have placental weight, fetal tissue, amniotic fluid and water retention. The ones that can cause concern are those that lose in pregnancy. It is very rare to maintain weight and usually only happens with those that are severely obese prior to pregnancy. (Obviously, I don't know how much you currently weigh but I'm guessing if you've lost 107lbs you're a lot healthier than you were).

Concentrate on having a healthy pregnancy by eating healthily, remaining active in some form (swimming, yoga, walking etc) and then once you have the baby you can use more calories per day by breastfeeding (if that's your choice) (you need 500 calories per day more from your diet to breastfeed).

If you're still concerned speak to your midwife about it and she should be able to reassure you further.

Congratulations on the pregnancy by the way.
  • JenMarie8781
    Options
    You are manufacturing a human being inside you right now.

Do you have any idea how much energy it takes to manufacture a human being??

Worry about your body fat %, sure, but DO NOT STEP ON THE SCALE.

Again, I'm just some stranger on the internet but DO NOT STEP ON THE SCALE. Your body is manufacturing organs (placenta) and protective fluids (amniotic) and a whole person. You should gain some weight, right?

DO NOT STEP ON THE SCALE. Eat healthy foods and plenty of protein.

I agree that it is normal to gain some weight... but I know the reason I have gained as much as I have is because I am not eating as healthy as I should be. I have been eating a lot of junk and giving into "bad" cravings. That is why I am mad at myself.
  • JenMarie8781
    Options
    bump
  • salsagal36
    salsagal36 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Try and make a conscious decision to eat more healthily if you think your food choices are bad.

More fruits and vegs, less cakes and crisps but don't beat yourself up if you have cravings that you can't deny (not just the 'I fancy a bag of crisps' cravings).

Once you've had your baby you can restart your journey to being healthier. Plus you'll have a perfect excuse to take your little one out for long walks in their pram or in a sling.
  • JenMarie8781
    Options
    bump
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    eat better. youre a grownup.
  • efgslg
    efgslg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am not pregnant and have the same feeling all the time. As soon as I go over my calorie goal I splurge and end up eating horrible. I am not sure how to stop. I don't snack but have high calorie drinks all day. I crave them all the time. I am sooo with you! If you figure it out let me know!
    Erica
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm 36, pregnant with my third child. There are some things I have learned over the course of these pregnancies:

1. The worse I eat on a daily basis, the harder the end of pregnancy will be.
    2. The more I give into cravings, the more I give into cravings.

Make sure you are eating enough quality food items, make sure you are eating enough fats and carbs, and make sure you get some exercise. You know what it means to eat healthy. Right now, any deficiencies in your diet will be magnified to you since your body is prioritizing any nutritional needs to your baby.

You are a mommy now, you need to stand up and be strong. Trust me, you'll need it for years to come!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Also, gestational diabetes.

Since you've been diagnosed earlier in life, and now you're "manufacturing a human being inside you" as someone so eloquently put it, you should know better than to be eating like crap.
  • JenMarie8781
    Options

Excuse me?! Rude comments are not needed.
  • JenMarie8781
    Options
    OK, I'm 36, pregnant with my third child. There are some things I have learned over the course of these pregnancies:

1. The worse I eat on a daily basis, the harder the end of pregnancy will be.
    2. The more I give into cravings, the more I give into cravings.

Make sure you are eating enough quality food items, make sure you are eating enough fats and carbs, and make sure you get some exercise. You know what it means to eat healthy. Right now, any deficiencies in your diet will be magnified to you since your body is prioritizing any nutritional needs to your baby.

You are a mommy now, you need to stand up and be strong. Trust me, you'll need it for years to come!

This is my 5th child so I've been through the whole pregnancy thing before... but my youngest are 2.5 years old (twins) and with all my other pregnancies, it was before I started my weight loss journey and I honestly never cared or watched my diet. So I guess that's why it's different this time around. I am eating good foods but I'm also eating junk. I need to just cut out the CRAP!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

agreed.

24 years old with four kids and one on the way. and with diabetes.

how many more reasons do you need to take care of yourself?
  • yo_andi
    Options

That was the best advice you were going to get here, OP.
  • JenMarie8781
    Options

Since you've been diagnosed earlier in life, and now you're "manufacturing a human being inside you" as someone so eloquently put it, you should know better than to be eating like crap.

You can't get gestational diabetes when you're already diabetic. And yes, I do know better. But "knowing better" doesn't make it any easier to ignore cravings. And again... if you have no advice or anything positive to contribute, don't bother.
  • JenMarie8781
    Options

That was the best advice you were going to get here, OP.

Really? Something that I already know?
  • yo_andi
    Options

You can't get gestational diabetes when you're already diabetic. And yes, I do know better. But "knowing better" doesn't make it any easier to ignore cravings. And again... if you have no advice or anything positive to contribute, don't bother.

You didn't really want advice, did you? You wanted commiseration and a pat on the head saying "there, there... it'll be okay". Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. I take back my (helpful) comments.