Girls, I need some advice!

Options
124»

Replies

• Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    JM would call bullshlt. Ha ha

That woman does not get PMS but she can sure give it!
  • katema62
    Options
    Cravings are for a reason. During PMS I am a salty carb craver...anything like french fries, chips popcorn...
    Your body craves because it needs either sugary or salty carbs to create serotonin or a deficiency...otherwise we would be more bonkers.
    I am not saying go ahead and eat an entire cake but if your body is craving don't put it off because you will find yourself two days
    later in a hazed filled sugar fest.

I have low thryroid so my body tends to crave the fat and salt I need to counteract the dip in estrogen and progesterone. I counteract the effects by making sure I take potassium. Sugar cravings are usually cause by dips in serotonin that can cause insomnia, crankiness so craving like chocolate can be conteracted with mangesium and maganese or find foods that have that in them.

Coral calcium and magnesium, potatssium make a huge difference....for bloating, cramps, cravings and insomnia. B6, fish oil , 5htp can help with anxiety, mood, nerves. If you want to educate yourself there are so many things out there like DIM and Maca but education is key before you take any kind of naturopathic medicine.
  • jkrim941
    jkrim941 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I keep hot cocoa on hand and other chocolate flavored things, like chocolate protein powder and cookies and cream protein powder. I feel like I am eating dessert when I have those things. It's enough to tide me over and doesn't set me back as much as candies do. Also- if I HAVE to have candy- I like Nips Chocolate Parfaits.
  • katema62
    Options
    A little known fact that doctors don't know or tell woman but the reason why we seem to be starving and never feel full a few days before TOM is because we are metabolism increases greatly during this time...so don't beat yourself up if you more hungry. See below:

PMS cravings are related to the boost in metabolism before your period.

True. If there is a silver lining to PMS, it's that your resting metabolic rate may increase the day after ovulation to the first day of your period. The metabolic boost you get from being "hormonal" can equal as much as 300 calories a day which is why your appetite increases during this phase.
    Tip Keep a journal of what you eat the week before and the weeks after your period. Try to maintain your eating pattern over the course of the month so that you can take advantage of this hormone driven calorie burn. If you give in to cravings, make sure that you keep portions in check.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    you allow yourself one serving of cookies, and log it first thing in the mmorning, so that at the end of the night, when your ready to induldge on a couple cookies in your bed, you have already logged them and dont run the risk of running out of calories!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I have a snack attack. I can't help it, shark week is terrible for me. I increase my workouts, log all my food for the day first thing in the morning and try my best. That's all you can really hope for. If I make it through the day I'm super proud of myself, if I end up with a snack attack right before bed, I forgive myself and try and do damage control the next day. And make sure I have one piece of dark chocolate daily lol
  • Djbass728
    Djbass728 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain (and your cravings) - I am 49 years old and still binging every month....do the best you can and don't beat yourself up. Sometimes I do plan ahead and have healthier sweets stashed at work. I have literally sent employees out to get me chocolate in the middle of the work day.....lol. Hang in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of coffee and beat all my PR's. Somewhere along the line I realized that workouts are all more valuable when Im chasing the cotton mouse. So i workout harder than ever and surprise myself the whole time. Then Im too happy to stress about chocolate.

now if someone can help me not freak out for two hours every month when Im PMS, Im all ears.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Actually for me it is fairly easy. I dont have the sweet tooth during before or after. I just dont want to eat at all.

I have the same issue. I have to push myself to eat enough calories.
  • annajazz11
    annajazz11 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    lol, I blame the rest of my family for keeping it full. But, I just mean cookie jar metaphorically, like in the sense that anything at the house that is bad is more likely to be eaten. I don't actually have a cookie jar.

Thankx for all the advice! I will definitely up the vitamins, up the exercise, and inform the rest of the family to keep the sweet stuff out of the house.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    How do you keep your hands out of the cookie jar during that wonderful time of the month?

I don't. I eat a little more during my TOM. So long as I son't go past my TDEE, then I'm fine.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    You could develop Type 2 Diabetes, like I have...and run the risk of blindness, kidney failure or the loss of a foot or two...the cookies won't seem to important after that.

Cookies don't cause diabetes. That's a myth.
  • cindileighstone
    Options
    Get rid of the cookie jar :)
  • sljohn84
    sljohn84 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a hershey kiss, it keeps my chocolate cravings at bay!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    lol don't buy cookies! Instead try 100 calories packs thats what I do it helps. Kellogs makes the new crispy chocholate wafers...so good.

No way! Give me 100 calories of a *REAL* cookie, not those crackerish things in those packets! :laugh:
  • mochalishious
    mochalishious Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I crave sweet & salty during that time of the month also. Nothing like a bag of Lays..lol
    The key is portion control. Eat a portion of chips. If its chocolate buy the fun size. Usually you can eat 3 pieces. Enjoy & est them slow