FYI: Detoxes and Cleanses are still junk

Options

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I believe in fasting and cleanses, but probably more simple ones. I've really enjoyed them. My friends and colleagues (specifically a prof in my PhD program who taught Eastern thinking & leadership courses plus another PhD candidate who ran a yoga studio) told me that cleanses are part of their regular spiritual and holistic practices. I think we are very culturally biased in our arguments against them and also our desires to market them!
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    we have a liver and kidneys for detoxifying our bodies. if they stop working, I think I'd be more concerned about blood poisoning and death than weight loss!!

^^
    Exactly! We have our own internal detox system which works pretty darn well.

The only thing detox products will remove is money from your wallet.
  • Hksalex
    Hksalex Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    fasting and drinking water only for a month is the best type of detox... it allows your body to kill any bacteria.. because it does not need to focus on processing food and breaking them down.. etc etc..

Say wot?

Your body NEEDS bacteria in your intestines. You don't want to be killing them off.

And your body can process food AND detox itself at the same time. It's kinda what it does. It's not as if your body has an EITHER/OR switch in it.

im sorry i didnt mean to say bacteria.. i mean to say damages done to your body

here is a good article explaining what i mean by repairing damage done to your body

http://www.livestrong.com/article/52834-detoxification-fasting-diets/
  • Hksalex
    Hksalex Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I believe in fasting and cleanses, but probably more simple ones. I've really enjoyed them. My friends and colleagues (specifically a prof in my PhD program who taught Eastern thinking & leadership courses plus another PhD candidate who ran a yoga studio) told me that cleanses are part of their regular spiritual and holistic practices. I think we are very culturally biased in our arguments against them and also our desires to market them!

i agree fasting is more of a cultural and religious thing..
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Misinformation is a billion-dollar industry.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    The first step in any sale is to convince the customer that they have a problem that needs to be fixed.
    The next step is to convince them that you have the solution to their problem.

Toxins accumulating is a lie that is constantly perpetuated by people wanting your money. The lie has been repeated so many times that it has become "common knowledge."
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I have been waiting YEARS for someone who can actually specify just ONE toxin that builds up and needs to be cleansed, let alone how the cleanse manages to magically float out of the intestines and pull a Mr. Clean on the internal organs .

And don't say endotoxin, because I know about that than you do, and it requires no Colon Blow to be removed from your blood stream.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    For me the word "toxin" is a read flag. Someone starts talking toxins in that general sense and I'm walking away.

Your body is designed to clean itself. Unless you've been poisoned then you don't need to detox. And if you have been poisoned, then you need to go see an M.D. Stay away from the quacks.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,723 Member
    Options
    fasting and drinking water only for a month is the best type of detox... it allows your body to kill any bacteria.. because it does not need to focus on processing food and breaking them down.. etc etc..
    And it's time to actually learn about "good" bacteria in the body.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I will say that milk thistle (among other things) is good for people with liver issues. But people with a healthy liver do not need it. My husband's doctor tests his liver every quarter as a part of regular check-ups because he has issues with his liver.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

It's called science and critical thinking.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I have been waiting YEARS for someone who can actually specify just ONE toxin that builds up and needs to be cleansed, let alone how the cleanse manages to magically float out of the intestines and pull a Mr. Clean on the internal organs .

And don't say endotoxin, because I know about that than you do, and it requires no Colon Blow to be removed from your blood stream.

elevated enzymes

http://www.medicinenet.com/fatty_liver/article.htm
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

elevated enzymes

What...

...years...

...and this is the answer I get. Elevated enzymes. -_-'

NAFLD is a result of chronic over-nutrition. Liver steatosis =/= toxin buildup. It's a result of your body running out of places to store fat because you won't stop stuffing your face.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,132 Member
    Options
    oooooooh WendyTerry, don't mess with Songbyrdsweet, she's like a PhD in this stuff.....:laugh:

Hi, Song!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You know what else really bothers me about the "detox" concept? We are all aware that using laxatives after overindulgent eating to "flush" the food (and relieve associated guilt) is a pretty common behavior associated with bulimia. We also know that the mental part of the eating disorder can follow the repeated, habitual behavior. I fail to see how using "cleanses" is really any different than the bulimic/laxative behavior, except that it's more long-term and more expensive.

I think these companies promoting this junk science are hovering the line of supporting disordered eating behaviors, encouraging people to think that regular eating is somehow poisonous and making you fat, and you can course-correct using laxatives. "Overeat? Have a binge at Burger King? Poison! Need to detox to get 'back on track'! " Sounds a lot like bulimic logic to me.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

elevated enzymes

What...

...years...

...and this is the answer I get. Elevated enzymes. -_-'

NAFLD is a result of chronic over-nutrition. Liver steatosis =/= toxin buildup. It's a result of your body running out of places to store fat because you won't stop stuffing your face.

No, it's called having an abnormal liver. If you saw my post above, you might have realized that. Sorry for not being clear. This is not from being overweight. My husband is *not* overweight in the least. He is 5'6" and weighs 140. (I'm the face-stuffer, but have never had any liver issues, btw)

I'm not sure what you means by saying " ... years ..." ??
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    oooooooh WendyTerry, don't mess with Songbyrdsweet, she's like a PhD in this stuff.....:laugh:

Hi, Song!

Not messing. I think she missed my previous comment. It happens. I think she thought I was talking about me instead of my husband, who has a variety of health issues.
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    This is what makes me laugh about people who go on about eating clean and then shovel a load of man-made 'detox', 'antioxidant' and other 'supplements' down their gullet.
    Amen!
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    You know what else really bothers me about the "detox" concept? We are all aware that using laxatives after overindulgent eating to "flush" the food (and relieve associated guilt) is a pretty common behavior associated with bulimia. We also know that the mental part of the eating disorder can follow the repeated, habitual behavior. I fail to see how using "cleanses" is really any different than the bulimic/laxative behavior, except that it's more long-term and more expensive.

I think these companies promoting this junk science are hovering the line of supporting disordered eating behaviors, encouraging people to think that regular eating is somehow poisonous and making you fat, and you can course-correct using laxatives. "Overeat? Have a binge at Burger King? Poison! Need to detox to get 'back on track'! " Sounds a lot like bulimic logic to me.

:flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I'm sorry for being curt instead of more clear. My husband has had "elevated enzymes" in his liver for a number of years. (I think his G.I. doctor was the first to mention it and suspected Hepatitis C, but he chose not to get the test at that time.) This continued for several years until he started taking liver pills (primarily milk thistle). After about six months or so, his doctor said whatever he was doing was working because his enzyme levels were normal again after years of being elevated. Milk thistle is the only change that was made. His doctor even said there were studies showing that milk thistle works. It has actually been used for centuries.

I agree that you would have no reason to take it otherwise, but if you have hepatitis or something similar, then it works.