Alli?

Options
2»

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Just as an FYI, low-fat diets have been proven to be the least effective. And in all reality, fat is very healthy for you.

Exactly.

Apart from all the bad side effects Alli produces it doesn't even solve the problem.
  • fervc64
    fervc64 Posts: 53
    Options
    I've heard yucky things about it.
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    I used to do Alli, but the side effects aren't worth the low amount of weight loss..it's really not worth it..especially if you are a eating a diet low in fat anyway. Alli discourages eating foods with high amounts of fat. That in itself is a debatable topic (good fats vs bad fats, etc).

I think the major problem for me was...the more I read about Alli, the more I read about people with gall bladder issues...apparently the way the Alli metabolizes begins to mess up parts of the liver and gall bladder. It's not talked about very much (at least wasn't back then), but I decided to just not go the Alli route. The side effects, um............could be embarrassing. You could read a little bit about the gall bladder issue here:

http://www.drugs.com/alli.html

Here is something else:

On June 4, 2009, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration released its quarterly list of drugs that are under investigation for potential safety issues or new safety information. Orlistat was included in the list as having a "Potential Signal of Serious Risk" of liver toxicity, meaning that a potential risk of liver toxicity was identified based on reports to the FDA Adverse Event Reporting System between October and December 2008.[27] Isolated cases of orlistat-associated liver problems have been reported before.[28] On August 24, the FDA reported that it would investigate 30 cases of liver damage reported between 1999 and October 2008 in patients taking orlistat, including six cases of liver failure.
    From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlistat#Contraindications

In the end, nothing really replaces eating well and exercising. I am not an expert at all, and I know you already knew that. But before even considering any more pills ever again, I remind myself that I have the choice to eat better and work out, and therefore get in shape...I have to remind myself that i'll never find that in a bottle, whether it be the South Beach Diet or Alli or whatever...

Take care...
  • mayamagallanes
    mayamagallanes Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My mothers weight loss doc says to take L carnitiene (sp) and green tea caps. The L Carn. burns belly fat and the green tea helps speed up metabolism. She takes them evryday 2x a day
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried Alli along with MFP? I know it has some "undesirable" side effects, but I eat a low fat diet, so hopefully those side effects wouldn't hit me. Anyway, has anyone had a positive experience with it? I'm wondering if it really does help to lose more weight. Thanks!!

Congrats on your weight loss, good job! You've been successful - why try a 'magic pill' with annoying side effects now? Don't waste your money! I took a peek at your diary, maybe add more fresh fruits and veggies and definitely more protein, you were way low. And remember fat does not make you fat (too many calories makes you gain)...so low fat is not always a better option. I'd focus more on those type of changes and forget about the pill:flowerforyou:
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Just as an FYI, low-fat diets have been proven to be the least effective. And in all reality, fat is very healthy for you.

I love you. ^

My sister took ALLI for about 6 months. She had to carry spare panties with her every where she went. Just take a longer walk at night, or don't eat the extra muffin. Save money instead of wasting it.
  • PottsvilleCurse1925
    PottsvilleCurse1925 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    4CFF6111-D22C-458B-BF94-1E9FE6B8E63B-3990-00000328466DC1B1_zpsbd664eab.jpg
  • jacinda171
    Options
    if you eat a low fat diet then why bother? It would do nothing for you except waste your money

Absolutely agree. I have tried it and didn't find the side effects too bad...but then I feared eating anything fatty and the pills don't work on salad. I worry about long term effects of diet pills
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Alli = poop that resembles Taco Bell meat grease. And unfortunately you don't always make it to the toilet. :-)
  • KentClark
    KentClark Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was on Alli years ago. nastiness aside...I'm pretty sure it messed with my gall bladder..in a bad bad way. I was on it for a week and one night I woke up in excruciating pain, it was my gallbladder. Ever since then I've had gallstones. As long as I eat right I don't have the gallbladder attacks, but sometimes If I overload on fatty foods, gallbladder attack. Pizza Hut kills my gallbladder. I really think the Alli caused it.

I would avoid it if I were you!
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it....anal leakage doesn't appeal to me at all! lol

THIS!!!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Oh look, it's the weekly Alli thread! :drinker:

Anything that causes oily anal leakage sounds like a bad idea to me, even if it WAS effective for weight loss. The sexiness of your new, slimmer body would be somewhat offset by having to wear diapers everywhere and periodically stopping to wipe up the orange dribble running down your leg. Not to mention the fact that, as previously stated, fats are healthy and essential for your body.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    no
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Greasy Anal Leakage. That's all I needed to know. I've never tried it.
  • mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've taken it and didn't have any side effects. But I didn't lose any weight with it either haha.
  • allornothing193
    Options
    I was on alli for 4 months yes the side effects are nasty and worry some but it didn't happen all the time! If you eat right it doesn't bother you!! I lost 40 lbs I just recently got back on it! I love alli it makes me feel good! I recommend it to my friends!!!
  • jujulamb
    jujulamb Posts: 195
    Options
    4CFF6111-D22C-458B-BF94-1E9FE6B8E63B-3990-00000328466DC1B1_zpsbd664eab.jpg
    My BFF s**t her pants on the way home from work and I think that was the last time she took Alli...If you are a naturally constipated person this might be the pill for you! :ohwell:
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My mothers weight loss doc says to take L carnitiene (sp) and green tea caps. The L Carn. burns belly fat and the green tea helps speed up metabolism. She takes them evryday 2x a day

Do they work?
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    ok, confession. I took it with a gal I am in the military with. We roomed together while on duty. We didnt leak but we definitley had interesting bathroom experiences. It looked like a sience experiement.