Is anyone else doing the Atkins diet?

Options

Replies

• martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask the same thing about the need to redo again after some years. If it is as effective as it is, then why would there be a need to go back to it? Is it safe to say it's a band aid solution? I think I need more of an approach that I can handle from today and on.

I have always said that having been blessed to have been born into a Latino family, there's no way in heck I'd skip out on our wonderful (yes, carb-rich foods) for some months, let alone a lifetime! I can do it for 2 weeks, tops!, to lose some weight quick, but forever.... NADA!

And, this is the kind of attitude that gives Atkins a bad name. Read the book! The first two weeks are the most restrictive, then you can slowly add your carbs back in. SLOWLY so you can see what foods trigger weight loss stalls or weight gain.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Actually, I requested their sample bar and starter pack and am still waiting for it. For now, I'm just trying to watch my calories and exercise more. :glasses:
  • Sallyafe1
    Options
    Hi,
    It is not recommended, as you will gain it all back when you quit. Heart Drs. do not like it at all, too much cheese,high cholesterol,bacon and other meats.
    Good Luck
    Sallyafe1
  • JudiGM
    JudiGM Posts: 7
    Options
    The New Atkins diet is really good. It is lean protein with lots of vegetables.
  • martinah4
    Options
    Actually, I requested their sample bar and starter pack and am still waiting for it. For now, I'm just trying to watch my calories and exercise more. :glasses:

It took about 2 weeks to get mine. I would really recommend getting an Atkins book and reading about it. They will send you the plan with the sample bars you ordered, but to really understand the why's and the how's of it, you should get the book. I have Atkins Essentials, which is a quick start. The basics, in layman's terms.
  • martinah4
    Options

I agree. I wish people would stop thinking that all we eat is bacon, topped with mayonnaise and dipped in lard. Just not true! I've never felt better eating this way!
  • martinah4
    Options
    Hi,
    It is not recommended, as you will gain it all back when you quit. Heart Drs. do not like it at all, too much cheese,high cholesterol,bacon and other meats.
    Good Luck
    Sallyafe1

Not true. The latest research is leaning towards a low carb diet. The best carbs come from fruits and veggies, which is what Atkins promotes.
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

I agree. I wish people would stop thinking that all we eat is bacon, topped with mayonnaise and dipped in lard. Just not true! I've never felt better eating this way!

Amen!
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    It would be better to just adjust your macros to 30% protein and let the other numbers work themselves out. It is more about high protein/low fat than low carbs that really helps you lose the weight. Protein keeps you full and keeps your metabolism going. Your carbs should come from high fiber sources. When you look at it that way it is more about heathy eating than following a specific Meat diet.
  • belizsera
    belizsera Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am doing Atkins. Began induction on Saturday, Today was the first day I haven't felt hungry and packing my food for the day is getting easier.
  • honeybear500
    Options
    i dont know much about the atkins diet, but i do watch my carbs and stay under my calorie intake last 4 months i lost 17 pounds, i started at 173 pounds and i am at 155 now give or take, i am happy with what weight i lost. i try to do alittle exercise since i have issues in my lower back i have to modify....i am working towards 140 as my goal in losing
  • martinah4
    Options
    It would be better to just adjust your macros to 30% protein and let the other numbers work themselves out. It is more about high protein/low fat than low carbs that really helps you lose the weight. Protein keeps you full and keeps your metabolism going. Your carbs should come from high fiber sources. When you look at it that way it is more about heathy eating than following a specific Meat diet.

I think it's the fat that satiates. Low fat = no bueno.
  • martinah4
    Options
    I am doing Atkins. Began induction on Saturday, Today was the first day I haven't felt hungry and packing my food for the day is getting easier.

Yay! Good luck!
  • martinah4
    Options
    i dont know much about the atkins diet, but i do watch my carbs and stay under my calorie intake last 4 months i lost 17 pounds, i started at 173 pounds and i am at 155 now give or take, i am happy with what weight i lost. i try to do alittle exercise since i have issues in my lower back i have to modify....i am working towards 140 as my goal in losing

I guess, in the end, it's all about what works best for you! Congrats!
  • LynnieG85
    LynnieG85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    As with anything that they haven't tried, lots of people love to criticise Atkins and those who do it. Commenting things like, "So why are you having to do it again?" - this could be said about any diet, eating plan or lifestyle change that you don't stick to. I did Atkins and did really well on it. It's definitely not about eating fat all day, but what do you expect to hear from people who have never read the book and are only going on what the media tells them about it? I did put the weight on again after stopping Atkins, but that's because I went back to my old really bad habits, and this is no different to any other time I've tried to lose weight!

Atkins isn't for everyone, and I totally understand that, but why take cheap shots at people willing to give it a go? What works for you might not work for them, and I'm sure you wouldn't take very kindly to people telling you were stupid because of this.

I wish everyone the best of luck on their weight loss journey, and why people would want to talk down to others for being strong enough to try to change their life, whatever that change may be, is beyond me.
  • Kipperdog123
    Options
    I am on my second time doing the *tkins diet, and the first time I lost 50 pounds in four months. Then I gained 20 back. Now I've lost 2 pounds so far, but I just started. I would not recommend eating any of the Atkins bars during induction because they mislead you about how many carbs are in them. And once you eat one you don't want to stop eating them. The protein you eat makes you not hungry, so that's good. As far as the diet being unsafe, you're not going to be on it for more than six months and the lifetime maintenance takes care of the scare of the unhealthiness of it. I haven't had kidney problems or anything. Good luck!
  • Lyssa_Herrera
    Lyssa_Herrera Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Atkins for a few weeks and I love it. I follow this woman on Facebook who does Atkins and she has lost about 200lbs.
  • martinah4
    Options
    As with anything that they haven't tried, lots of people love to criticise Atkins and those who do it. Commenting things like, "So why are you having to do it again?" - this could be said about any diet, eating plan or lifestyle change that you don't stick to. I did Atkins and did really well on it. It's definitely not about eating fat all day, but what do you expect to hear from people who have never read the book and are only going on what the media tells them about it? I did put the weight on again after stopping Atkins, but that's because I went back to my old really bad habits, and this is no different to any other time I've tried to lose weight!

Atkins isn't for everyone, and I totally understand that, but why take cheap shots at people willing to give it a go? What works for you might not work for them, and I'm sure you wouldn't take very kindly to people telling you were stupid because of this.

I wish everyone the best of luck on their weight loss journey, and why people would want to talk down to others for being strong enough to try to change their life, whatever that change may be, is beyond me.

I don't understand it, either. I guess people are just afraid of things they don't understand. You rarely see a low-carber going and critiquing someone who's posting about their Weight Watcher's diet. O_O
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Do you have something against losing weight permanently?

:laugh:

Love reading all these posts about "I've done it 4 or 5 times.....and I'm starting it again!"

It reminds me of a quote: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Nothing against low carb - it works for some people. It's not necessary for most, but it will help you shed water weight quickly. It can be beneficial for people who have thyroid or hormonal issues. But, most people find it very, very difficult to maintain a low carb lifestyle long term.
  • martinah4
    Options
    I am on my second time doing the *tkins diet, and the first time I lost 50 pounds in four months. Then I gained 20 back. Now I've lost 2 pounds so far, but I just started. I would not recommend eating any of the Atkins bars during induction because they mislead you about how many carbs are in them. And once you eat one you don't want to stop eating them. The protein you eat makes you not hungry, so that's good. As far as the diet being unsafe, you're not going to be on it for more than six months and the lifetime maintenance takes care of the scare of the unhealthiness of it. I haven't had kidney problems or anything. Good luck!

I've never had a problem with the bars, but I do notice that if I eat too many nuts or too much peanut butter, I tend to stall. I eat one bar a day, as a reward for my hard work.