Is anyone else doing the Atkins diet?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    It would be better to just adjust your macros to 30% protein and let the other numbers work themselves out. It is more about high protein/low fat than low carbs that really helps you lose the weight. Protein keeps you full and keeps your metabolism going. Your carbs should come from high fiber sources. When you look at it that way it is more about heathy eating than following a specific Meat diet.

I think it's the fat that satiates. Low fat = no bueno.

Well you'd think wrong, it's the protein
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I am skeptical of any diet plan that says you can eat as much as you want so long as you don't eat X. It does not matter what X is I just don't see it being true. If you eat 3000 calories of Beef and you only burned 2200 calories in a day I think you are going to gain weight regardless of where or not you have completely avoided carbs and sugar.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Do you have something against losing weight permanently?

:laugh:

Love reading all these posts about "I've done it 4 or 5 times.....and I'm starting it again!"

It reminds me of a quote: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Nothing against low carb - it works for some people. It's not necessary for most, but it will help you shed water weight quickly. It can be beneficial for people who have thyroid or hormonal issues. But, most people find it very, very difficult to maintain a low carb lifestyle long term.

Why is it hard for you to understand? It's a mindset. I also tried Weight Watcher's several times. I tried counting calories. The Zone. The Curves diet. I also tried to quit smoking 8 or 9 times, before I finally dropped the habit cold turkey. (Haven't smoked a cigarette in 6 years now). It's all a matter of mindset and a willingness to permanently change your lifestyle.

As for it being difficult to maintain, go talk to the thousands and thousands of people who've been maintaining for over a decade.
  • martinah4
    Options
    I have been doing Atkins for a few weeks and I love it. I follow this woman on Facebook who does Atkins and she has lost about 200lbs.

I'd like to find her on Facebook. Can you tell me her name?
  • martinah4
    Options
    It would be better to just adjust your macros to 30% protein and let the other numbers work themselves out. It is more about high protein/low fat than low carbs that really helps you lose the weight. Protein keeps you full and keeps your metabolism going. Your carbs should come from high fiber sources. When you look at it that way it is more about heathy eating than following a specific Meat diet.

I think it's the fat that satiates. Low fat = no bueno.

Well you'd think wrong, it's the protein

I would not be wrong, it's both protein and fat.
  • martinah4
    Options
    I am skeptical of any diet plan that says you can eat as much as you want so long as you don't eat X. It does not matter what X is I just don't see it being true. If you eat 3000 calories of Beef and you only burned 2200 calories in a day I think you are going to gain weight regardless of where or not you have completely avoided carbs and sugar.

Who is eating 3000 calories of beef? That's a bit extreme.
  • kristi321
    kristi321 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It's easy to criticize another way of eating just because you don't have all the facts or you disagree. The truth is that every BODY is different in how it processes fat loss. Some people are more sensitive to carbohydrates than others and find that limiting them finally yields good results. Whole foods with plenty of vegetables and quality protein is where it's at in my opinion. Call it Paleo, Primal, Atkins... it really doesn't matter to me, the point is that it works. Making it a LIFESTYLE is the golden key in my opinion. Processed foods and sugar are not healthy period and should be limited or eliminated for real success in permanent fat loss.
  • sandra121303
    sandra121303 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i want to know how the atkins works like do we only eat meat and thats it or can we have fruits and veggies ?? :embarassed:
  • queenmluv
    queenmluv Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing atkins specifically but I am doing low carb. I started on Jan 2nd & I've already lost 10lbs! Every morning I eat 2 eggs, either fried or boiled, with bacon, bratwurst, or some form of meat available. I try to stay under 30g but I have messed up. But since my carb intake is so much lower than before I started, its really working. Also, I'm sleeping throughout the whole night & have so much energy in the day.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

:laugh:

Love reading all these posts about "I've done it 4 or 5 times.....and I'm starting it again!"

It reminds me of a quote: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Nothing against low carb - it works for some people. It's not necessary for most, but it will help you shed water weight quickly. It can be beneficial for people who have thyroid or hormonal issues. But, most people find it very, very difficult to maintain a low carb lifestyle long term.

Why is it hard for you to understand? It's a mindset. I also tried Weight Watcher's several times. I tried counting calories. The Zone. The Curves diet. I also tried to quit smoking 8 or 9 times, before I finally dropped the habit cold turkey. (Haven't smoked a cigarette in 6 years now). It's all a matter of mindset and a willingness to permanently change your lifestyle.

As for it being difficult to maintain, go talk to the thousands and thousands of people who've been maintaining for over a decade.

Hold your horses - reread my post. I have nothing against low carb. My issue is with the mulitude of posters who are here saying "I lost x amount of weight on that diet.....gained it all back....but I'm doing it again cause it works so well!!" It's just not realisitic for most people to maintain on low carb. If it was, there would be a lot of people on this very thread who wouldn't need to lose weight AGAIN. Myself included. I've done Atkins....South Beach....pills.....Weight Watchers.....etc, etc. etc. None of it works LONG TERM - because of the exact reason you stated: mindset.

You're here on a site that offers something completely different: a way to eat moderately, a way to lose weight without having to change everything about your life. You dont' have to eat salad while your family eats pizza. You don't have to give up a nice pasta dinner every once in awhile. You don't have to give up anything. You just eat less. And when you're done losing weight, you just shift to higher calories. No special plan needed.

That's a mindset I want.
  • bubbleskiwi
    bubbleskiwi Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    8 years ago, I did it, reached goal weight....then got kidney problems and was sent to the clinic. that scared me so much and so I stopped doing it and gained all my weight back ( and more).

while I was on it, I was also in a soccer team and couldn't keep up at all! I was so tired all the time!

I don't know if the Atkins diet changed in 8 years, but I'm not going to try it ever again.
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I tried Atkins years ago and found it too restrictive. I have been following the South Beach Diet for a month now. It is my 2nd time with it. I did gain the 40 lbs I lost the first time because I went back to eating unhealthy carbs after moving to Texas. completed I eat more protein, lots of vegetables and am completely off sugar and starches that are white...potatoes, rice, pasta, flour, tortillas. I will occasionally eat 1/2 an apple with lunch or whole grain pasta . I find this works well for me. I do follow my MFP suggestions for calories and exercise also. I have so much more energy than before. Good luck in whatever you chose to follow.
  • jbird40
    jbird40 Posts: 10
    Options
    I would say that I am on a like Atkins; I have an issue that requires me to keep track of my carbs as my body has issues processing them correctly.
    In saying this, I do want to point out that; your body can only digest/use (if you will) about 21-22 grams of protein per sitting. So, if you are eating 60 grams at a meal you are serving no purpose at all. Even eating a 38g proten bar is a waist. Keep each meal at 15-21 grams.

The Atkins is pretty simple; eat protein and veggies at each meal, then eat your allowed carbs if you want.
  • Miss_curvy
    Miss_curvy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It works only if you want to loose weight faster, of course if you go back to your bad eating habits you WILL GAIN WEIGHT!
    It doesn't matter the diet you do, i just know one thing, if you eat any carbs and you don't use that energy, you will gain weight, but if you do atkins then you add carbs slowly your body will accept it, i do low carb diet and yes if you eat unhealthy for a month you gain at least 4 lb diets are not magic things, is not a miracle , are mathematics.
    I try to eat some complex carbs in the morning and the rest of the day i eat anything but no carbs and it works.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: Perfect! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Nana920
    Nana920 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    "Remember that in order for any diet to work you have to be able to stay with it forever or you will gain it all back as everyone here has said"

This is the single BEST thing posted on this feed.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    "Remember that in order for any diet to work you have to be able to stay with it forever or you will gain it all back as everyone here has said"

I concur!
  • Rtossas
    Rtossas Posts: 29
    Options
    The atkins plan is basically a crash diet. Crash dieting will only give you temporary results as soon as you're off the atkins plan, you'll be packing the weight back on.

There are two key things to remember:

1) weight is only a number. your weight can easily increase depending on water intake or an increase in muscle mass. if you're aiming to be slimmer and healthy, try keeping track of your body measurements ie: waist, hips, buttocks, arms, legs, etc. dropping weight is not nearly as important as dropping body fat percentage, so you may want to look into having that evaluated as a first step.

2) patience is everything. if you want to lose body fat and keep it off, it takes time. diets are temporary. good health and fitness has more to do with lifestyle than dieting. take your time, stay diligent, and have a goal to aim for. push yourself and exhibit self-control, but don't do it to the point where you hate what you're doing and "cheat" on your diet or workouts.
  • martinah4
    Options
    i want to know how the atkins works like do we only eat meat and thats it or can we have fruits and veggies ?? :embarassed:

I would really recommend reading the book, to really follow Atkins correctly. In a nutshell, for the first two weeks, you can eat 20 net carbs a day (net carbs being total carbs minus fiber). 12 of those carbs should come from vegetables. You can eat lean protein, eggs, cheese, and good fats like avocado's and olive oil. Avoid things that contain sugar, and avoid things made from flour. After the two weeks you can slowly add foods back in, like nuts and fruits. Make sure you drink water.

Read the book, or go directly to their website.
  • martinah4
    Options

I concur!

Agreed!