Regular gym goers - what do you think of newbies?

Options
My local gym has changed it's timetable and I've found some classes that fit around work / children. On the one hand I'm quite excited to start spinning/body pump but on the other hand I'm worried that regular gym goers will be rolling there eyes at the newbie starting in New Year - expecting me to fail and stop going by February. Am I over thinking this?

What do you think when you see an overweight person walking into your gym for the first time?

Replies

• Rinylee
    Rinylee Posts: 16
    Options
    I think it's great, I love seeing people motivated to change their bodies. Don't worry about it, just go for you. :smile:
  • zookeepersuzy
    Options
    who cares if they roll their eyes or judge you? do your thing and keep going if you like it, or change classes to something new next month if you're not that into it. People come & go in classes all year long. It's not worth the effort of "regulars" to bother worrying if you'll be there in a few weeks or not, they're just there for themselves anyway. (ps- spin class is usually dark & you all face the same way so you prob wouldn't even notice any strange looks unless they turn all the way around.. in which case they're freaks and you can judge them back.) ;)
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I think it's great, I love seeing people motivated to change their bodies. Don't worry about it, just go for you. :smile:

Yep. I never look at anyone and think anything other than good for you for doing something for yourself!
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    What do you think when you see an overweight person walking into your gym for the first time?

I think "good for them" can't wait to see the changes they will go through :-)
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    I think the only time people roll their eyes is when the 'newbies' aren't respectful or mindful of what they are doing.

Newbies are great! Go and be proud.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Dunno, haven't noticed any. I don't keep track of who comes in and out of my gym, too busy lifting and and logging sets.
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Ok... it's a fact of life that gym's become more crowded this time of year. Regulars will be used to it and expect it. I know that the gym will be back to normal by March. However I welcome a "new" normal. I've already started to notice a lot more new people. I really hope they become regulars and don't become discouraged. Don't worry about being the new guy. If you take a spinning class and can't keep up it's no biggie. You work out at your pace. You aren't holding anybody else back. Everybody was a newbie at some point in time. Keep a positive attitude and it will rub off on people. Ask questions if you don't know things, ask for a spot if you need one, and always be courteous and thank others for their help. If they're unwilling to help or act like a snob, they're not worth being around anyway. Just ask somebody else next time.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Good for them for deciding to make a change. Even better if they stick with it.
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I think awesome and welcome. And be nice to newbies because it would be fun to talk to someone different sometimes and the more the merrier!
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I judge people who go to the gym and work out for less than 20 minutes, fat or thin. I mean really, what's the point of making the trip?
  • Project_Jodie
    Options
    I think newbies are great and if they have a lot of weight to lose I think "Wow, Awesome effort, brave person can't wait to see what they acheive'

Ultimately I'm too busy hurting to notice much else, in a class situation I look at it as another person to be friends with.

I know it's daunting when you first start but be brave! Everyone has to start somewhere, I'm sure you'll meet lots of great helpful people, keep in mind in the gym and in life in general there will always be some unhelpful jerks - this is just the minority thogh :)

Good Luck!
  • UKMarjie
    Options
    I noticed three newbies today and said "hi!" and had a bit of banter with them! I like people so new people make me smile!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I judge people who go to the gym and work out for less than 20 minutes, fat or thin. I mean really, what's the point of making the trip?

How many calories does that judging burn?
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I don't notice anyone at the gym except the guy at the front desk who swipes my keycard. He's kind of a douche, but he's really cute. Once I'm past the front desk, no one else exists to me.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I think nothing of them. Just like the regulars. I don't think of them either. I'm only there thinking of myself. But if i did think of them, it would be MY problem, but theirs.

Just go work out.
  • UKMarjie
    Options

Or guys lifting huge stacks, really fast, cracking teeth while gritting for like 10 seconds. Also, mean girls who are not nice to newbies - I eat them with my 160 calorie pouches of Quaker for breakfast!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    The volume of newbies can be annoying, but that soon dies down.

With regards to overweight gym goers, I started out at my gym weighing in at 273 lbs, so hardly likely to turn to my nose up at any newbie making the change. I should imagine that there are lots of gym regulars who are now buff / fit etc, but haven't always been that way.

Don't be intimidated by what what you imagine other gym goers are thinking of you, most of them are just caught up in their own work outs.

Enjoy your new gym membership :flowerforyou:
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

TONS.
  • UKMarjie
    Options

I didn't calculate that...maybe like that knitting one someone was mentioning on another thread. Just kidding...
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I'm always happy to see newbies because it gives me new people to race on the treadmill next to me. :devil: