Regular gym goers - what do you think of newbies?

Options

Replies

• BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    They are subsidizing everyone else's fees. Without the newbies...

A) Fees would skyrocket, or
    B) The doors would close.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are overthinking it.

Go in and do what you do. I have been going to gyms for years and tend to not notice other people unless they are not following the general rules (wipe down the equipment, don't hog the machines during a busy period and put the weights back).

I go to the gym to work out, not to judge others.

Also, look at this:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/gym

Enjoy your gym membership!
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    I think, "Good for them." Honestly I don't form opinions about anyone working out and doing their thing. We're both there for the same reason: Self improvement. What someone looks like is not a dictation of their dedication ;)

When people ACT annoyingly, that is a different story
  • trixyj
    trixyj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I admire anybody who makes the effort and I hope you find the strength to keep going x
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I barely notice my wife and we sorta work out together...not to make that sound as bad as it did, just mean to say I'm focused on my work out and the only time I'm not is when I'm spotting her on her bench press.

There are a couple of "regulars" that I can point out and recognize as regulars, but seriously only a small handful, and that's because they are at the level I want to be....the rest I couldn't tell you if they started today, yesterday, or if I'm a newbie to them.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I don't even notice they are there. I go in with a mission, accomplish it, and leave.
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I judge people who go to the gym and work out for less than 20 minutes, fat or thin. I mean really, what's the point of making the trip?

Seriously? Do you know their story? Maybe they have a medical condition. Maybe they are that out of shape and are trying to build their endurance. And why would you judge? Are they hurting you or offending you? it is their money and their time...

I suspect the poster was injecting a bit of lighthearted banter into the thing - and as it is the opposite of the newbie thing...but heh could be wrong.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I honestly, think "well done, now just stick with it". The only things that irritate me about new gym goers are not following the rules and too much chit chat. And to be honest, those two irritants are pretty evenly spread between newbies and regulars.

My advice? Stop worrying about it. Read up on your gym's etiquette, study some workouts and pick one you want, then go. And stick with it!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    @OP - Just go and screw what anyone else will think. You are doing this for you..not them.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Everyone was a newbie once.

I honestly don't pay any mind to them because they have no impact on my workout.
  • MaggieKillNMaul
    MaggieKillNMaul Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is too focused on what they're doing to notice you....and you'll love spin & body pump! Those are my two favorite classes!

Just go, don't really pay attention to anyone else, and have a great time! Spin is awesome because you can do it at your own pace (it's usually based on perceived exertion, so a "7" to you is different from your neighbors).

Have fun! :)
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    love em, just don't get in my way! also clean your machines!
  • karenstack
    karenstack Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Most of the people there are focused on what they are doing and couldn't care less. There will always be jerks, it's inevitable, but they are a minority. One of the tricks is picking a gym that isn't a 20-something pickup joint. A year ago, when I walked into a gym for the first time at 200 pounds, I was terrified and embarrassed. It was much ado about nothing. Nobody even blinked, nor do I see them hassle the morbidly obese people who can barely walk. As far as gym etiquette goes, it's all common sense. If you see someone has been waiting for equipment, wait your turn. Don't spend forever on a popular piece of equipment. Wipe everything down when you are done. Keep the noise to a minimum, don't talk on your cell. Just go for it, and remember the golden rule :)
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Everyone has to start somewhere, there is a moment in time where the regulars were once a newbie. Don't worry about others, focus on yourself. Nobody will judge, I definitely don't judge. Recently I saw plenty of new people coming in, I didn't think anything of them.
  • bettacheckyoself
    Options
    I don't think anyone spends the whole entire day at the gym to know who is new and who isn't ? ..people go at different times right? When I use to go to the gym, I only recognized a few people and that is because we always went at the same time.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I always think "good for them to be doing something about it". I do make note of when I see them again as I am hoping they are making progress. I guess from what Im reading here that we are all silently cheering them on.

Sadly though, most of them are gone by the end of Feb. However, I do appreciate the money they spend buying a years membership as that help keep my costs down. LOL
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Everyone was a "newbie" at some point. Nobody was born physically fit.

I say good job, keep at it, and ignore the bro's.
  • azztkk
    azztkk Posts: 26
    Options
    If you are going to let what others at the gym may think of you dissuade you from working out, you don't want it bad enough ... yet.

Forget them and do what's best for you.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't know who is new and who is not.
  • PeanutButterLuver
    Options
    Friendly advice: Wipe down gym equipment after use!!

& good for you for joining the gym!!