How do you deal with comments on your loss?

Options
Does anyone else find it really awkward when someone says you look like you've lost weight?

I never really know what to say, and to be honest don't really want to tell people I'm trying to lose weight.

I've lost over 50lbs in the last few months so when people say it I kind of just get all awkward and never know to say.

Replies

• Project_Jodie
    Options
    Be Proud! They're saying it to be nice....

"Thanks yes I have" Is probably what i would say!

Don't feel awkward - its' a wonderful acheivement :)
  • kannd86
    kannd86 Posts: 42
    Options
    Just look at them quizzically and make them wonder why they asked such personal question. I used to work at a store with another girl who was overweight, but had lost some weight recently. A customer asked ME if the other girl lost weight, and I was like... WTF? (in my head) and told her I don't know. She wound up going up to the other girl and telling her she looked good after losing some weight. I thought it was incredibly rude even though she thought she was being nice. I think drawing attention to someone's weight (even if it's a positive comment) is rude. Don't play into it.
  • fIashforward
    fIashforward Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Personall, I wouldn't say anything to someone who I thought had lost weight, it's basically like saying "You looked ugly before, but you're okay now."

Plus, I don't see fat as a "bad" thing - it's one of the many ways people can look. In fact, I quite like bigger people if you know what I mean lol
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I say, thank you!
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    It was nice in the beginning- yeah people noticed! But after 7 straight months of losing weight (108 lbs) and having to have conversations every single freakin day about my weight, I'm TOTALLY over it. Now I just smile or say thanks and change the subject.
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm proud enough of having lost weight I say, "Thank you for noticing!"
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    My transformation was huge.
    Everybody who first saw me commented. It felt good, but I still have so much more I want to do.
  • tifferlee82
    Options
    I would just keep it a simple yes and thank you. I think 9 times out of 10 people are just trying to be nice.
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I think drawing attention to someone's weight (even if it's a positive comment) is rude.

I completely disagree. I LOVE it when people notice I've lost weight. It makes me feel good, like my efforts are paying off, like people can actually tell. It gives me a buzz that I keep all day long. I say "Thank you very much!"
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    It depends on the context of it. I had this d-bag say to me, "Wow you're looking great! You're going to be a 10/10 when you get done." Which I told him to go f himself, but when someone genuinely tells me that my hard work has payed off and I am looking good, I say thank you.
  • BrandyRelaxing
    BrandyRelaxing Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yep, I just say, "yes I have, thank you for noticing", and move along. If you're not comfortable with that, you can simply reply that you have lost a couple of pounds recently, and thank them. But remember you have made tremendous progress in moving towards a healthier body/lifestyle, and that is something to be celebrated, so don't downplay what you've accomplished.

I only get upset when they say "Keep it up", as if I'm an idiot and think that at my size it's the time to stop, or that somehow they're commenting that I'm not good enough at my current size. But I digress... I just take it for what it is, a compliment.

It takes a while, but eventually you'll be comfortable with it being a compliment.
  • a_certain_shade_of_green
    Options
    if someone takes the time to notice, and to comment positively, then i take the time to thank them.

thats it really
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    It's human nature to comment that someone has lost weight, as most people view it as encouraging. When people compiment me, I own, it it makes me feel good, it encourages me to continue and I wouldn't feel bad commenting on someone else. I'm not sure why it would be akward unless it was a stranger. I know my girlfriends love to be told they look thinner, I don't really know anyone personally who wouldn't, but everyone is different ; )
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I say, thank you!

^^^^ This. I think people forget those 2 words. :ohwell:
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I love it when people notice! I don't think it's rude to comment on weight loss at ALL. I don't think anyone in the history of the world has ever intended it to be a mean thing when they ask if someone has lost weight.

I say, "why yes I have! thank you for noticing" and then I move on.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I haven't received any comments yet. :sad:
  • triff14
    triff14 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I think drawing attention to someone's weight (even if it's a positive comment) is rude.

I completely disagree. I LOVE it when people notice I've lost weight. It makes me feel good, like my efforts are paying off, like people can actually tell. It gives me a buzz that I keep all day long. I say "Thank you very much!"

I agree with this!
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options

agree, I'm not sure why it would be rude, never viewed it that way personally. Now what would be rude is if I gained weight and soemone said I was fat looking or look like I gained, lol, which has happened but it's a reality slap in the face. I like being told I look thinner, sometimes I am too HARD on myself and think I am not losing and looking flabby, etc then realize when I have 3 compliments from people that day that I am not seeing myself in good eyes.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    usually when people comment on my figure, I say "thank you. I have worked really really hard."
  • fIashforward
    fIashforward Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    LOL. Maybe I'm just weird :)

Think it could be to do with the fact that I've got a good bit to shift yet too.