Any new runners?

Options

Replies

• donnacervelli11
    donnacervelli11 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of new. I've been running for about a year now and I'm starting to work on training for my first half marathon in September.

I'd love to find some new running people! Feel free to add me if you like!
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'm not completely new but I'm kind of starting over again. I plan to run on Saturday. We'll see if I can go 30 minutes without stopping.
  • ehouston86
    ehouston86 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Not totally new but have not run in years. I used to run cross country in high school. That was the leanest I've ever been and healthy too. I plan on starting tomorrow. I am able to drop the babies off with grandma and I'll head to the park where I ran in high school, hopefully that will be great motivation as it brings back memories.
  • marine71
    Options
    it is good to build up strength in your legs with lunges and squats. It will improve your speed and not hurt as much after a run :-)
  • andreamarieroberts
    andreamarieroberts Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am new to running!! I find it very hard.... I have just started running as I can no longer afford a gym. I struggle running on the path as the ground is very unforgiving and there are many hills in Sheffield. Running on the street around where I live is a default option to get out and do some exercise. I can only manage about 20-25 mins at a pace of 6mph on average.

If anyone has any words of advice or tips they would be very welcomed - also add me if you wish : )

If you slow your pace down a bit you will probably be able to run for a longer period of time. It is hard to do, I use a GPS watch and endomondo app sometimes to control my pace on long runs. I can run at 6mph, but not for long. At 4.5 - 5 mph, I feel like I could run for days.
    When I started I found it very difficult as well. If you keep putting the miles in, you will be amazed at yourself and what your body can do! In August I was lucky to be able to run for a minute or two at a time, huffing and puffing and hating it. On thanksgiving I ran a five mile race at about 6 mph. I waited at the finish for a friend and watched all the skinny, fit looking people coming in well after me and THAT FELT GREAT!
    Keep up the good work!
  • hockeydad725
    hockeydad725 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I just finished week 7 of C25K and I cannot believe the results. I was never a runner, hated jogging, being out of breath and sweaty. But it really works. I'd like to run in 5k's when it gets nice and want to do a warrior dash in the fall. Feel free to add me.
  • jdforshort
    jdforshort Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I am on week 3 of C25K... in serious need of motivation. My legs are KILLING me!!!

Hang in there, rest for couple of days and then pick up where you left off! And think of the great exhilaration of surmounting something that you thought, at one time, was impossible!

I am just a little ahead of you, on a week 4 of C25K! So I understand! I do this every other day and then insert couple of rest days' in between the weeks to let the muscles/knees recover. I do more of a slow jog than run, like the online article says, running and speed can wait! I was ready to quit the other day and literally, talked myself out of it, then patted myself on the back! Today of course, is another day, so we'll see how it goes!
  • minikhan95
    minikhan95 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm starting it after school tonight as well. Feel free to add me as well:) I'm starting couch to 5k to build my endurance! Good luck to all!
  • thinktank32k
    Options
    I am a year into running. Runners, joggers, feel free to add me
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhat new to running, started in Aug at 300 lbs and ran my 1st 5k in early Dec. I'm signed up to run my next one in about 10 days. Excited!
    I'm still super slow, I run about a 15 minute mile, but I'm still in the 270's and I know I'll pick up speed as I lose weight so I'm not worried about it. My goal this year is to run a 10k so I'm more concentrating on gaining distance rather than speed anyway.

Good luck to the new runners!
  • glamouritz64
    glamouritz64 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Meeeee!!!!:happy:
  • ravinraven718
    Options
    I started Monday on the C25K at Week 3. I didn't feel so well by the second 3 minute jog, but that was from lack of food more than anything. I'm surprisingly eager to do Day 2 today. This weekend it's supposed to be in the mid-60s (rare for winter in central Ohio), so I can do a test run at one of the local parks - hopefully the snow and ice will be melted off the bridges by then.

Anyone else run in Vibrims Five Fingers? I love my toe shoes, though I don't have winter ones or socks for mine.
  • LMurrieta540
    Options
    I'm not a new runner, I've been running since 2010. 2010, I completed my first 1/2 marathon. 2011, I did my 2nd 1/2 marathon. I have to say that 2012 has been my favorite year so far for running. I was saved June 17th, after being saved I PR on a 5k, 5 miler. 2012 was also the year that I got involved or should I say fell in love with TEAM 413, I also completed my first 3/4 marathon and then completed my first full marathon and finished under my goal time. I use the Galloway Run/Walk method. My goals for 2013 is to run at least a 100 miles a month and to complete a 50k. Feel free to add me
  • pkrichar
    pkrichar Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am on day 2, week 1 of C25K. Will be running my first 5K in April. If I say it positive it will happen right?
  • taschulz
    taschulz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm new to running, working on c25k, on week 6. It's been up and down. I struggle some days, and some days its easy. Add me as a friend if you want to, I think it helps to hear how others are doing.
  • luvdachs
    Options
    I am pretty much completely new to running. I quit smoking 3 years ago and trained to run a 5K (and ran all but about 30 seconds of it)....but I have not ran since then. Plus I have put on about 50 lbs in the last 3 years. I am wanting to start running again and am just trying to get my schedule figured out so that I can squeeze it in. Please add me! I would love the extra motivation.
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am getting back at it after a foot injury, a baby, and brain surgery sidelined me for 3 years. Ironically? The most difficult to cope with emotionally was the foot problem.

I used to do 10Ks 3/4 times a week. I am managing 5 k/week as the last time I went back at it too strong and re-injured my foot.

I use the John Stanton 10 & 1 running system - and from what I hear it is a very good way to get you up and going for a 0 - 5KM training. You start with 1 minute running 10 walking on week one then you do 2 minute runs and 8 minute walking (and so on) three times a week. If you are looking to improve that seems to be the magic minimum you should do.

Will keep looking for you all on here.
  • michelle0989
    michelle0989 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    not exactly new but i will be building up my endurance again after not running during the holiday season. runners feel free to add me!
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am getting back at it after a foot injury, a baby, and brain surgery sidelined me for 3 years. Ironically? The most difficult to cope with emotionally was the foot problem.

I used to do 10Ks 3/4 times a week. I am managing 5 k/week as the last time I went back at it too strong and re-injured my foot.

I use the John Stanton 10 & 1 running system - and from what I hear it is a very good way to get you up and going for a 0 - 5KM training. You start with 1 minute running 10 walking on week one then you do 2 minute runs and 8 minute walking (and so on) three times a week. If you are looking to improve that seems to be the magic minimum you should do.

Will keep looking for you all on here.

Anyone interested I can give you some further details about the programme - but is also online - I think about $40 Canadian for a 4 week programme. If you live in Canada there are shops across the country offering clinics (which I can highly recommend) and also they have group runs for free twice a week out of the shop. So like the 5k people can run with the 5 K types and the 10, half and full marathon types often train together...makes it a nice community thing.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Anyone using the Map My Run app on a blackberry; and if so how is it?