This isnt good is it?

Options
This isn’t good is it?

I have been inputting into my diary for today (and yesterday). But i think im not doing this

My food intake today (including my future meals) will be 731 calories
Im going swimming tonight and will be 357 calories

That means I have had 374 calories and my daily target is 1200. Is this right?

Or is it I have 469 calories to eat (1200target-731already consumed) plus the 374?

I have 50lbs to lose. Totally stuck

Im also thinking that something is not right as I have been tracking my calories for a while now and never to i reach 1200 unless i have takeaway pizza or something which isn’t even once a month (and of now no more!)

Replies

• relledge
    Options
    Your daily calorie goal is 1200...if you have 50 pounds to lose I would not re eat your calories at this time unless you find yourself losing to much weight. So if you have 731 of planned calories this means that you have 469 calories to consume left. Once you record you workout my fitness pal will give you back the 357 calories you burn, but I would leave that at is. If you are having trouble with consuming the correct amount of calories try adding snacks. For example my morning snack consist of Dannon Light and Fit Vanilla Greek Yogurt and Dole Diced Peaches in 100% fruit juice. You are more than welcome to look at my diary for ideas. If you need help just let me know. I hope this explanation help you.

Rachel
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Open your diary.
    0400772 Posts: 80
    Options
    How do i open my diary?

For example today i had bran flakes for breakfast
    Just finished soup and 1 slice of bread for lunch
    Its 1 chicken breast & Cabbage for tea

with 1 snack of muller light greek style yogurt at about 3pm.

So this means i have used 731 so i still need to eat 400 calories! i always allow for so much calories either way as these things can nevber be accurate
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Your daily calorie goal is 1200...if you have 50 pounds to lose I would not re eat your calories at this time unless you find yourself losing to much weight. So if you have 731 of planned calories this means that you have 469 calories to consume left. Once you record you workout my fitness pal will give you back the 357 calories you burn, but I would leave that at is. If you are having trouble with consuming the correct amount of calories try adding snacks. For example my morning snack consist of Dannon Light and Fit Vanilla Greek Yogurt and Dole Diced Peaches in 100% fruit juice. You are more than welcome to look at my diary for ideas. If you need help just let me know. I hope this explanation help you.

Rachel

I don't agree with this at all. If you only have 50 lbs to go and your goal is already at 2 lbs/week you should eat all of the cals burned back, and I would even suggest doing that and changing your goal to 1.5lbs/week.
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Rachel

Exactly! Be careful eating so little.
  • jhstroebel
    jhstroebel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You need to start eating more... You need to actually eat your 1200 calories and then eat back at least some of your workout calories (didn't really think about that your probably on a very aggressive weight loss goal setting and probably don't need any additional deficit). Right now you seem to be eating at a pretty unhealthily low calorie level. I think one of the posts around here suggested upping your calories slowly daily by 50 or so until you get to where you should be eating. Keep up the workouts and don't get discouraged, the weight will come off.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    How do i open my diary?

For example today i had bran flakes for breakfast
    Just finished soup and 1 slice of bread for lunch
    Its 1 chicken breast & Cabbage for tea

with 1 snack of muller light greek style yogurt at about 3pm.

So this means i have used 731 so i still need to eat 400 calories! i always allow for so much calories either way as these things can nevber be accurate

400 + the ones you burned swimming
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You probably want to add some fruit and veggies in there as well, it sounds like you are eating to little. If you are working out you should be eating at least 1200 calories so that you don't get dizzy or burn yourself out. Try having some fruit in between meals or snack on some veggies, I like edamame(sp?) pods to snack on during the day. Good luck!! :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Just shoot for 1600/day.
    Just eat 1600 a day.

Eat 1600 a day.

1600....a....day.....

Enjoy your fat loss.
  • DreamOfSunshine
    DreamOfSunshine Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Open your diary.

This :) May be the choice of food can be better. I fight to pump my calories up to 2000 because I do high calorie burn workouts, but it's actually not that hard. Fruits, vegetables, meat... all distribuited into 3-5 meals per day, you can do it. Just take a normal salad, yeah the green leaves have low calories, but when you add some dressing or some fish to it, there you go! ( Olive oil in one tbspoon is 120 cal! )

My advise to you would be - Try to have at least your net calories above 1200 ( meaning eat your exercises cals back :) ). Otherwise at some point you will hit starvation mode and stop loosing.

Hope this helps!! :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Correct, you have had 374 calories net and your target is 1200. You can reach 1200 calories, it really isn’t hard. Two tablespoons of peanut butter is 200 calories. Cook in one tablespoon of olive oil and that is 120 calories. A handful of almonds? 170 calories. You don’t need to eat pizza to get enough calories, you just have to eat good quality fats to up your calories.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    In it's most basical form: Eat 1200 calories then eat whatever calories you burn in a work out.

I personally stick to 1500-1700 a day & don't eat back as I don't trust the estimations of mfp for calories burned during exercise, they are pretty much over & can't be bothered to wear my HRM anymore so I work out, eat a flat 1500-1700 a day & it takes the issue of eating back or not out of it.
  • WendyBlendy
    WendyBlendy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat at least some of your calories back, your body will go into starvation mode, and it will be near impossible to lose weight. I would eat about 1/2 of your exercise calories back.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    You struggle to eat 1,200 calories a day unless you get pizza? 1,200 calories a day is easy... and to have become overweight you will have managed it in the past. I eat my exercise calories so the net should be 1,200 - many people don't.

Edit - looked at your diary and you seriously are depriving yourself and eating far too little. The way you are eating is not a sustainable way of life. You do not need to starve yourself to lose weight. Even if you claim you are not hungry, the little you are eating is not enough.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I always make sure my GOAL matches my NET
    0400772 Posts: 80
    Options
    This has been a rough diet for me for a while now. with the odd occassion of crisps, juice but i seem to be gaining rather than losing . would this be due to starvation?
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Eat more meals-have something before or after a work out, have a mid morning/mid afternoon snack. Nuts and peanut butter are good for you and they'll help you get protein/calories.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Edited...nevermind, you already opened your diary...

As far as getting more calories in, add in a couple more snacks with calorie dense foods like nuts, seeds, nut butter, eggs and lean protein. Many of these will also give you the extra protein your diet is currently lacking to help with retaining more muscle.

With the amount of weight you have to lose, you're ok with a major deficit for a while but you will eventually stall out - which sounds like what you're already going through. Make changes quickly before your metabolism gets completely messed up.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You struggle to eat 1,200 calories a day unless you get pizza? 1,200 calories a day is easy... and to have become overweight you will have managed it in the past. I eat my exercise calories so the net should be 1,200 - many people don't.

Edit - looked at your diary and you seriously are depriving yourself and eating far too little. The way you are eating is not a sustainable way of life. You do not need to starve yourself to lose weight. Even if you claim you are not hungry, the little you are eating is not enough.

1200 calories is a fine meal.