When good yogurt goes bad....

Options
2»

Replies

• Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    If it starts smelling like something that's not yogurt, or looking like something that you'd find under your fridge then it may have gone bad.

But the date is more or less the date that it has to be pulled from the shelf in the store. I'd say a couple days after won't hurt. :)

Kinda makes you wonder how much perfectly good yogurt is thrown away at the stores every day.
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I always err on the side of caution. Both me and hubby have had too many bad experiences with food poisoning to warrant risking anything.
  • LaceyCwell
    Options
    I actually just ate some plain fat free greek yogurt this morning and didnt notice it expired 4 days ago until I was throwing the empty container away! Greek yogurt already has a sour cream taste so I thought it was fine Lol Little did I know!
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    A major reason to eat yogurt is for the digestive benefits of the active bacteria in it. The older the yogurt, the less active the bacteria are. So even if a yogurt is still edible for perhaps weeks after the sell by date, it is better to eat it while it is fresh.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I actually just ate some plain fat free greek yogurt this morning and didnt notice it expired 4 days ago until I was throwing the empty container away! Greek yogurt already has a sour cream taste so I thought it was fine Lol Little did I know!

No, No. You thought right. It was fine.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    HOCKEY SOCK! Hahaha Love it!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Most things dont matter, what you have to be careful with is meat. If there's even a chance that it's bad - throw it away.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Options
    Yeah I take no chances with meat. We had bought some ground veal a while back that was marked down at the store, and had frozen it for a couple of days. After it was thawed and opened, it looked pink and fresh, but smelled rancid. I had never seen meat that looked good, but smelled so badly. I don't know if it was bad or if that is what veal smells like, but I chucked it.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    How in the world do you know when yogurt goes bad?

Stays out all night... hangs around in bars...
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Your profile pic is kinda perfect for this post.
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Just close your eyes when you open it and take that first bite. It adds some excitement.
  • alexmommy
    alexmommy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I ran a dairy department for years, we learned that even after the sell by date (of course we pulled it 3 days prior to that from the shelves) that yogurt was safe for 10-14 days following. Milk will be the same way, depending on how cold you keep it, when you opened it. You can open it the day of the sell by date, and it will most likely still be good for 5-7 days.
  • iamkarent
    iamkarent Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Funny...I just thought I SCORED at the grocery store last week because I found reduced price greek yogurt....35cents for ones that are usually over $1...because they were dated the same day and I was standing there trying to decide how many days they would last...

I bought 6...and they all were fine
  • Admiral_Derp
    Options

Best answer/profile pic so far. You're awarded 1 million internets!
  • Admiral_Derp
    Options
    If this was about my profile pic...
    Your profile pic is kinda perfect...

Fixed it for you! :p
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    If your cultured dairy products are watery it's just some of the whey separating out. Stir it back in, and you'll be good to go. A long time ago I worked at a Mexican restaurant. The number of people that told me the sour cream was bad was astounding. I wanted to be like, "uh yeah? 'sour cream' is not just a clever name." I refrained.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options

bwahahahahahahahah
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    If this was about my profile pic...
    Your profile pic is kinda perfect...

Fixed it for you! :p

Well played.