What can I get for $1?

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Where do you live!! I'm kind of jealous! Here, a pack of turkey hotdogs is about $4 (the buns for them are $3), a head of lettuce is about $3, and a loaf of bread is $3. In fact, the only thing I could buy on your list is the ramen noodles! Sometimes, cans of soup go on sale here for a dollar. Sometimes. I am green with envy, lol!

About the only thing you can buy here for a dollar is... a single apple or orange maybe?

At walmart, jennie-O turkey dogs are 98 cents. The cheap great value bread is cheap too, like 1.25 so I did smidge that a bit, so are the cheap buns. Fresh lettuce heads are super cheap too, like 59 cents.

I went to a super Walmart last week for the first time ever. I was blown away. I didn't want to leave. Now I understand why the cash checks there, so you will go broke.

There is one in walking distance to my house. I'm just glad I can't carry a big screen and an xbox home at the same time.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    McDonald's apple pies
    Aren't those 2 for $1?
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    79 cents for 5-6 bananas at a local supermarket here, thats 500-600+ calories
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    You bought the whole bag for $1 (I get a one pound bag of beans for 68 cents) but you're only listing the nutritional content for one serving. If you get 6 cups of beans out of the bag then you are actually getting 900 calories for that dollar.

This weekend I bought zucchine for 99 cents/pound, apples for 99 cents/pound, bell peppers 3 for a dollar, rice for 89 cents/pound, pinto beans for 68 cents/pound, a bag of frozen broccoli for $1.25, frozen whole green beans for 96 cents.

I get tired of this propaganda that it costs too much to eat healthy and that fast food is the only way for poor people to eat. It's utter bullsh!t. People eat nothing but crap because they are too lazy to turn on a stove - and I believe there is room in a healthy diet for fast food, pizza and cheetos.

Edit to remove my three carts full of cheesy poofs and honey buns on food stamps rant.
    That really depends on where you live. Bell peppers were on sale for $1.25/ea here, apples generally don't go below $1.79/lb, a bag of beans are rarely less than a dollar, rice is generally about $1.50/lb. I was so excited when fresh broccoli was down to $.99/lb. It's normally twice that here.
    You can't look at your store prices and apply it to the whole country. Produce is generally more expensive in urban areas and even that varies greatly based on region.
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Eating healthy is not cheap but it can be done. The browning lettuce is usually on sale. Loaf bread here, 2.50 for the cheap stuff. pack of 6 bonless skinless chicken 31.00$! 2 litres of white milk, 4.08 chicken hot dog .99 lol but id rather eat nothing than chicken hot dogs lol
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    I get tired of this propaganda that it costs too much to eat healthy and that fast food is the only way for poor people to eat. It's utter bullsh!t. People eat nothing but crap because they are too lazy to turn on a stove - and I believe there is room in a healthy diet for fast food, pizza and cheetos.

100% this.

When I was living in the Midwest last year on a very strict budget, $120 bought me enough awesome food to make healthy AND yummy meals for 6 weeks.

You will always find a way when you want something bad enough.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    McDonald's apple pies
    Aren't those 2 for $1?

I'm not sure. I wanna say yes.
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    What does $1 look like?
    12 oz soda pop = 180 calories
    McChicken sandwich = 360 calories
    A bag of beans, makes about 6 cups, one cup cooked = 150 calories
    Can't get steak or much veggies or fruits with $1

Our bodies are programmed to get the most calories at the least amount of work. And with such a low budget for food, we would rather get the soda or sandwich. No wonder we are overeating but starving ourselves to death. We get a ton of calories without much nutrients. What do you think?

And This is the reason poor people are obese. It's not their fault. They need calories to survive. They cannot survive on a head of lettuce or a can of chicken. High carb/ high sugar meals go further. They are Not overeating.
  • ErinShannon
    ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
    You can get
    A head of lettuce and a cucumber
    A bag of salad
    Two cans of vegetables (or one giant can)
    One can of fruit
    A pack of turkey hot dogs
    A can of beans (or a whole bag of dried beans)
    A bag of rice
    A can of tuna
    A can of chicken
    Seasonings
    A bag of frozen vegetables

For a few more calories you can get
    A loaf of bread
    A few packs of ramen noodles
    Two single serve packs of lunch meat
    Regular hot dogs
    Crackers

I'm sure there's more if I thought about it, but these are pretty much staples on my grocery list.

I live in Northern Maine near the Canadian border and can honestly say that I can't get half of these items for $1.00 each. A single cucumber alone is .89 cents at my Walmart.

I pay on average $1.49 per small avocado. I paid $2.49 per pomegranate last week. Head of lettuce was almost $2.50. I can't get a bag of lettuce for under $2.99. I paid $4.99 for a bag of apples. My grapes the other day were $9.00 (And I should note this is all regular produce - nothing organic)

That said, we do eat healthy but it is most definitely not cheap to do everywhere. We make sacrifices in other areas to be able to eat healthy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    You can get
    A bag of salad
    One can of fruit
    A bag of rice
    A can of tuna
    A can of chicken
    Seasonings

A loaf of bread
    Regular hot dogs
    Crackers

I'm sure there's more if I thought about it, but these are pretty much staples on my grocery list.

Wow! Where I live only 2 of those items could be had for $1 (bag/can of beans and ramen noodles). A few small seasonings, maybe and a couple others occasionally on sale or with a really good coupon.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    You can get
    A bag of salad
    One can of fruit
    A bag of rice
    A can of tuna
    A can of chicken
    Seasonings

A loaf of bread
    Regular hot dogs
    Crackers

Where do you live!! I'm kind of jealous! Here, a pack of turkey hotdogs is about $4 (the buns for them are $3), a head of lettuce is about $3, and a loaf of bread is $3. In fact, the only thing I could buy on your list is the ramen noodles! Sometimes, cans of soup go on sale here for a dollar. Sometimes. I am green with envy, lol!

About the only thing you can buy here for a dollar is... a single apple or orange maybe?

Dude you need to find an Aldi's near you if you can. They have most of this and more for under a buck. :)
    or a Dollar Store... or a Trader Joe's.. TJ's has bananas 5/$1.00
    Eating healthy is not cheap but it can be done. The browning lettuce is usually on sale. Loaf bread here, 2.50 for the cheap stuff. pack of 6 bonless skinless chicken 31.00$! 2 litres of white milk, 4.08 chicken hot dog .99 lol but id rather eat nothing than chicken hot dogs lol
    Personally I find eating healthy far less expensive than eating processed food. fresh chicken is less costly than canned as it will go much further. Frozen veggies are on sale here now for $.69 much cheaper than canned veggies with high sodium content.

I've found for myself it's where you shop and how you shop and more important than anything pre-planning your meals, making them ahead of time in bulk and then freezing portions.

We all have our own ways... this is discussion that comes up on MFP so often, it is interesting to see others responses. Check the archives for even more idea on how to eat low cost but healthy!:drinker:
  • AllTehBeers
    You bought the whole bag for $1 (I get a one pound bag of beans for 68 cents) but you're only listing the nutritional content for one serving. If you get 6 cups of beans out of the bag then you are actually getting 900 calories for that dollar.

This weekend I bought zucchine for 99 cents/pound, apples for 99 cents/pound, bell peppers 3 for a dollar, rice for 89 cents/pound, pinto beans for 68 cents/pound, a bag of frozen broccoli for $1.25, frozen whole green beans for 96 cents.

Edit to remove my three carts full of cheesy poofs and honey buns on food stamps rant.
    That really depends on where you live. Bell peppers were on sale for $1.25/ea here, apples generally don't go below $1.79/lb, a bag of beans are rarely less than a dollar, rice is generally about $1.50/lb. I was so excited when fresh broccoli was down to $.99/lb. It's normally twice that here.
    You can't look at your store prices and apply it to the whole country. Produce is generally more expensive in urban areas and even that varies greatly based on region.

I think it was more of a statement on lazyness. The beans, rice and peppers would make more then one meal and still cost less then a single meal at mcdonalds. Obviously, not every store is the exact same price, but in general, you can always buy more groceries then big macs with $5
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    What does $1 look like?

Our bodies are programmed to get the most calories at the least amount of work. And with such a low budget for food, we would rather get the soda or sandwich. No wonder we are overeating but starving ourselves to death. We get a ton of calories without much nutrients. What do you think?

And This is the reason poor people are obese. It's not their fault. They need calories to survive. They cannot survive on a head of lettuce or a can of chicken. High carb/ high sugar meals go further. They are Not overeating.

FALSE!! Whatever they chose to eat, if they are fat, they ate more calories then need to survive. Except for a few rare medical conditions, the only way to get fat is to eat more calories than your body uses.
  • AllTehBeers
    I live in Northern Maine near the Canadian border and can honestly say that I can't get half of these items for $1.00 each. A single cucumber alone is .89 cents at my Walmart.

I pay on average $1.49 per small avocado. I paid $2.49 per pomegranate last week. Head of lettuce was almost $2.50. I can't get a bag of lettuce for under $2.99. I paid $4.99 for a bag of apples. My grapes the other day were $9.00 (And I should note this is all regular produce - nothing organic)

That said, we do eat healthy but it is most definitely not cheap to do everywhere. We make sacrifices in other areas to be able to eat healthy.

This was a list of things I can get for a dollar. I bet if you were to look around your store you could find things I couldn't get for a dollar either.

The general sentiment is that there ARE things you can get on a tight budget that is not a $1 menu item from mcdonalds.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    What does $1 look like?

Wrong. The only way you get fat is overeating (more calories in than used).

I regularly see morbidly obese people with morbidly obese children buying multiple cartloads of cokes, Little Debbies, cheesy poofs, pop tarts, etc and whippping out the food stamps to pay for them. They can buy the same stuff I listed above because they're shopping at the same store. When my sister had to go on food stamps for a short period of time after her deadbeat ex left her with a toddler to support she managed to feed herself and her son fresh meat and vegetables using the same food stamps I see others using to purchase nothing but junk.

Eating too much and too much crap and getting fat is a choice just like eating the proper amounts of nutrient dense foods and being fit is a choice.
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    I get tired of this propaganda that it costs too much to eat healthy and that fast food is the only way for poor people to eat. ... People eat nothing but crap because they are too lazy to turn on a stove - and I believe there is room in a healthy diet for fast food, pizza and cheetos.

It's probably not just cooking that turns people off, although that is part of it. I can pay $15 - 25 for a dinner featuring risotto at a restaurant, or for about $2 of ingredients and 20 minutes of time, I can cook enough risotto for 4-6 people. Shoot, even if I want steak I can do it cheaper at home. Hamburgers probably too.

PLANNING what to cook is the bigger issue for me. When I plan ahead, I don't mind cooking. Having a plan also leads to bulk purchases instead of singles. If it's 7pm and I'm hungry and I haven't made a plan ahead for what I ought to cook, I'm more likely to step out for restaurant food, even thought that takes just as much time or even more time than cooking something myself does! (Drive, get seated, order, wait for it to be cooked, eat, wait for the bill, wait for receipt, drive home). Even fast food takes time and it's not very satisfying.

On the other hand, if I plan on the weekend when I'm shopping for groceries that on Wednesday I will cook XYZ and I buy all the ingredients and have them sitting ready to go in my fridge, then I'm significantly more likely to stay put and cook when I get hungry Wednesday evening.

Case in point, OP says a 12oz soda costs $1. To me that sounds like an impulse purchase out of a vending machine or a check out line's mini fridge.

However, my local grocery store's current weekly sale flyer shows 8-12 pack assorted Pepsi products selling this week at 3 packs for $10. Now, I don't like Pepsi (in fact I generally don't drink soda, and when I do I prefer Coke products), but lets do the math. (After all, experience says that Coke will probably be on sale a week or two after the Pepsi--like always.)

Assuming we like the 12 pack flavor, that's 36 sodas of 12oz a piece for $10. So $0.28 a soda. Clearly OP overpaid for his soda because he didn't plan ahead. Had he bought his soda on sale and brought it with him to work instead of using the vending machine (which here would actually cost me $1.25) he could have had nearly 4 sodas for the price of one.

Say we only like the 8 pack flavor instead, that's 24 sodas of 12 oz a piece for $10. So $0.42 per soda. At that rate he still could have had 2 sodas for the price of his one.

The story is true of healthy food as well.

I don't know that it's a failure to cook that's the problem. I think it's a failure to plan ahead that's the problem. People tend to be short sighted about a lot of things. We don't tend to plan very well. We're impulsive instead.
  • AllTehBeers
    I don't know that it's a failure to cook that's the problem. I think it's a failure to plan ahead that's the problem. People tend to be short sighted about a lot of things. We don't tend to plan very well.

If you buy all the stuff and don't cook it, it spoils. So eventually you'd have to cook it to get the benefits.

I know plenty of times I had some kind of meat and vegetables at home ready to cook but they went bad because I was too lazy to cook and went out to eat.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    The grocery store that's local to us (IGA) has green pepper at 4/$1, red and yellow bell peppers at .99, boneless skinless chicken breasts at $1.68/pound and leg and thigh quarters are regularly .79/pound and .39-69/pound on sale. This past weekend they also had up to 12 cans of corn, green beans, or mixed veggies on sale for .33 each. You would be AMAZED how many chicken nuggets or tenders I can make with the chicken. :D It doesn't leave me much TV time unless I'm on the treadmill though. :laugh:
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    If you buy all the stuff and don't cook it, it spoils. So eventually you'd have to cook it to get the benefits.

I know plenty of times I had some kind of meat and vegetables at home ready to cook but they went bad because I was too lazy to cook and went out to eat.

I've done that too sometimes. But now I've gotten better because I started trying to consider going out for food to be a hassle. If I can think of leaving as a hassle, then the lazy option is to stay home in my cozy pants and cook instead. It's a matter of perspective and instant gratification. It would take me 15 minutes to go out for fast food or I can stay put and cook something yummier in about 20min--without even missing my TV show or pausing my Netflix movie.

Likewise, if I write down my menu plan for the week, then I can see how often I've put off using those veggies and meat, so I can kick myself to use them before I waste money by letting them rot in the fridge. I just have to take a couple steps to make staying home and cooking the easier and lazier option. But if I don't PLAN to make it easy, then I'm noticeably more likely to go out.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Dude you need to find an Aldi's near you if you can. They have most of this and more for under a buck. :)

I quit going to Aldi's after they fired a cashier in Kansas City for giving up the contents of her register to a gunman. They seriously expected her to refuse and/or fight the guy off.

That's been many years ago now, I don't know if they've changed that policy or not.