What can I get for $1?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    If you buy all the stuff and don't cook it, it spoils. So eventually you'd have to cook it to get the benefits.

I know plenty of times I had some kind of meat and vegetables at home ready to cook but they went bad because I was too lazy to cook and went out to eat.

Sounds like you need to buy more frozen and non-perishables. Frozen thin white fish like tilapia, instant brown rice and a bag of frozen mixed vegetables can make a healthy delicious meal from box/freezer to table in about 15 min.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    If you buy all the stuff and don't cook it, it spoils. So eventually you'd have to cook it to get the benefits.

I know plenty of times I had some kind of meat and vegetables at home ready to cook but they went bad because I was too lazy to cook and went out to eat.

I've done that too sometimes. But now I've gotten better because I started trying to consider going out for food to be a hassle. If I can think of leaving as a hassle, then the lazy option is to stay home in my cozy pants and cook instead. It's a matter of perspective and instant gratification. It would take me 15 minutes to go out for fast food or I can stay put and cook something yummier in about 20min--without even missing my TV show or pausing my Netflix movie.

Likewise, if I write down my menu plan for the week, then I can see how often I've put off using those veggies and meat, so I can kick myself to use them before I waste money by letting them rot in the fridge. I just have to take a couple steps to make staying home and cooking the easier and lazier option. But if I don't PLAN to make it easy, then I'm noticeably more likely to go out.

Well, plus prep time plus doing all those darn dishes. I still eat sandwiches a lot just because I hate dishes lol

I think in the end it just comes down to if you want it or not. It took a while for me to break my bad habits so I understand both sides.
  • AllTehBeers

Sounds like you need to buy more frozen and non-perishables. Frozen thin white fish like tilapia, instant brown rice and a bag of frozen mixed vegetables can make a healthy delicious meal from box/freezer to table in about 15 min.

I but a lot of canned food just for this reason. I live alone so if I don't eat it, it doesn't get eaten. I also only have a mini fridge so the only thing I keep in that is fish filets.

That example was when I was still with my ex and neither of us wanted to cook
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

You bought the whole bag for $1 (I get a one pound bag of beans for 68 cents) but you're only listing the nutritional content for one serving. If you get 6 cups of beans out of the bag then you are actually getting 900 calories for that dollar.

This weekend I bought zucchine for 99 cents/pound, apples for 99 cents/pound, bell peppers 3 for a dollar, rice for 89 cents/pound, pinto beans for 68 cents/pound, a bag of frozen broccoli for $1.25, frozen whole green beans for 96 cents.

I get tired of this propaganda that it costs too much to eat healthy and that fast food is the only way for poor people to eat. It's utter bullsh!t. People eat nothing but crap because they are too lazy to turn on a stove - and I believe there is room in a healthy diet for fast food, pizza and cheetos.

Edit to remove my three carts full of cheesy poofs and honey buns on food stamps rant.

I was going to point out the bean issue, so thanks for beating me to the punch! :angry:

And yes, when on sale - or in the reduced produce section - I can also find a lot of good deals on food. In fact, I tend to get a lot of my bananas there - where they're down to 29 cents/pound, as opposed to 59-79 cents/pound. In other words, 3 pounds of bananas for less than a buck. Frozen bananas in smoothies rule.
  • melmonroe
    melmonroe Posts: 111
    Advance meal planning with sale ingredients will get some $1 meals. Around my current residence, they have $1 sales on produce, canned meats and olives quite often. Brown rice and lentils, beans fixed in different is an excellent way to stretch things. If using white rice, always rinse rice well -- I've read that it contains high arsenic.

I almost forgot! You can sprout lentils to which makes them a veggie. :)
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    McChickens are 1$? They're 5 dollars in Canada.
  • AllTehBeers
    McChickens are 1$? They're 5 dollars in Canada.

Sheesh.

Here, you can catch a whole chicken in the park for free.
  • leahestey
    leahestey Posts: 124 Member
    The point of the beans was the process of making them edible. I soak them overnight. The next day, for me I have to slow cook them to get the right texture. So it takes me a day and a half to get the beans edible. And yes, I mentioned only one serving size for calories because the other meals are also one time meals. Who do you know can eat a pound of cooked beans? I usually have to throw out at least half of the beans because I am the only one willing to eat them. The only fruit that is under $1 here is bananas. The shelf life of fruits and veggies is short as well. You can let an unopened bag of chips sit out for months but only days for fruits and veggies.
    I, personally, don't buy junk food. Maybe a gallon of ice cream once a month. I haven't bought a candy bar for 3 months.

Like I said, we are programmed to eat as many calories as we can in the least amount of work.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    If I soak beans overnight I can have them done in a couple hours. If I don't it takes at least four. I make a pot most Sundays when I'm going to be home all day anyway. Put them on mid morning with a hamhock and some onions, garlic, various other seasonings and let them simmer all day long. MMMM beans. Then you fry bacon in a cast iron skillet and cook some chorizo in the bacon grease and put some of the beans in and mash them while they fry in the bacon grease and chorizo and when they're all mashed up you put them in a hot oven for about 15 minutes.

mmmmmmmmmmm
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    How much for 1 rib?
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    $1 breakfast at Ikea. Super-filling, right on budget.
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    You can get
    A head of lettuce and a cucumber
    A bag of salad
    Two cans of vegetables (or one giant can)
    One can of fruit
    A pack of turkey hot dogs
    A can of beans (or a whole bag of dried beans)
    A bag of rice
    A can of tuna
    A can of chicken
    Seasonings
    A bag of frozen vegetables

For a few more calories you can get
    A loaf of bread
    A few packs of ramen noodles
    Two single serve packs of lunch meat
    Regular hot dogs
    Crackers

I'm sure there's more if I thought about it, but these are pretty much staples on my grocery list.

Where do you live!! I'm kind of jealous! Here, a pack of turkey hotdogs is about $4 (the buns for them are $3), a head of lettuce is about $3, and a loaf of bread is $3. In fact, the only thing I could buy on your list is the ramen noodles! Sometimes, cans of soup go on sale here for a dollar. Sometimes. I am green with envy, lol!

About the only thing you can buy here for a dollar is... a single apple or orange maybe?

Totally jealous. A loaf of bread is close to $3. I can only get a bag of brand name frozen veggies for $1.99 when they are sale.

For a dollar, a can of soup if you catch a sale and ramen noodles. We're totally getting jipped up here.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Rachael0440 - I've never heard of such things for $1 except when I was a kid 100 years ago. You are very very luck to be able to buy those things for that price. wow. I can't get them that cheap at the dollar store. I'm jealous also.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Sjohnny had my slavia glands activate by that bean recipe
  • FunnyGirl613
    FunnyGirl613 Posts: 151 Member
    I don't know where you live, but I live in Brooklyn, NY and I don't think I could buy a single thing on this list for $1.00 with the exception of the dried beans. Pricing is all relative. I'll put approximate pricing for what we pay for similar items below
    You can get
    A head of lettuce - romaine loose is easily 1.29 or more, hearts of romaine is easily 3.00+
    and a cucumber - generally 2 for 1.00
    A bag of salad - bagged lettuce starts at 2.49/bag and goes up from there (fresh express or dole)
    Two cans of vegetables (or one giant can) canned vegetables are in the $1.10 and up range depending on the cans
    One can of fruit - okay this hovers around $1.00 depending on the fruit but also usually over $1.00
    A pack of turkey hot dogs - kosher turkey dogs are expensive - $4.49/package of 8
    A can of beans (or a whole bag of dried beans) - $1.10 for a can, dried bag maybe right around a dollar
    A bag of rice - depending on size $2.00 and up
    A can of tuna - easily $2/can
    A can of chicken - you can't buy kosher canned chicken. Cheapest kosher chicken in my neighborhood is quartered on the bone for $1.98 per pound (a chicken usually costs about $9-11 each)
    Seasonings - $1.50-$2.00 each
    A bag of frozen vegetables - kosher frozen vegetables are EXPENSIVE. $5-7 for a two pound bag of frozen broccoli

For a few more calories you can get
    A loaf of bread - $2.50/loaf
    A few packs of ramen noodles - I wouldn't buy them, full of chemicals but in the $1.50 range
    Two single serve packs of lunch meat - SUPER expensive - $3.00 a package
    Regular hot dogs - $2.49 for "classic" kosher which is a blend of chicken and meat
    Crackers - depends on the type but easily $2.50/box

I'm sure there's more if I thought about it, but these are pretty much staples on my grocery list.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    http://rawon10.blogspot.com/

^ Has been a good site for me finding healthy recipies on a budget :). I realize it's a vegetarian based site, I'm not vegetarian myself but try to 'eat clean' as much as possible.
    I think it comes down to meal prepping and planning. I used to always pick up fast food, sometimes for every meal of the day :noway: - it's convenient, but it adds up quick! When I started cooking for myself, not only did I learn better portion control, but I saved money also. Granted I only shop for myself, I spend $30 a week on groceries - it gets me through the whole week!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    The point of the beans was the process of making them edible. I soak them overnight. The next day, for me I have to slow cook them to get the right texture. So it takes me a day and a half to get the beans edible. And yes, I mentioned only one serving size for calories because the other meals are also one time meals. Who do you know can eat a pound of cooked beans? I usually have to throw out at least half of the beans because I am the only one willing to eat them.

You don't have to cook all the beans at once. You can soak and cook enough beans for a couple servings. Or you could freeze the leftovers. Beans are very good for freezing. If you're throwing them out, you're wasting your time and money.
  • leahestey
    leahestey Posts: 124 Member
    Thanks for the website! I'm looking into cooking vegan anyway.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    We have a local grocery store that does dollar days. They put a lot of items on for $1.00, so during that week you can get a lot of healthy stuff for $1.00! Most days, not so much.
  • agreed!