Fitbit vs Bodymedia

Options
13»

Replies

• Oreonut
    Oreonut Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Found a pretty good article from a person that did a 28 day test on four different systems.
    http://www.getgrok.com/2013/01/a-comparative-review-28-days-with-the-fitbit-one-jawbone-up-nike-fuelband-and-bodymedia-link/
  • enigmaneo
    enigmaneo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you have a desk job how accurate is Fit Bit if it's on your wrist? From everything I have read isn't it just a pedometer and if it's on your wrist while you are typing using mouse moving around won't it just register steps then too?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If you have a desk job how accurate is Fit Bit if it's on your wrist? From everything I have read isn't it just a pedometer and if it's on your wrist while you are typing using mouse moving around won't it just register steps then too?

The Fitbit Flex, the wrist-worn unit, isn't out yet. The Fitbits that do exist are meant to be worn on the waist or torso.

That said, it's not just a pedometer. It measures its acceleration and movement in space and uses algorithms to determine just how you are moving, in what direction, and how quickly. It can tell the difference between a run and a walk. It's a little tough to intentionally fool, as is the Nike Fuelband and Jawbone Up.

I think the Fitbit has an inherent advantage over HRMs. Heart rate is not necessarily an indicator of energy use - you are burning the same number of calories in the first 30 seconds of a jog, when your heart rate is low, as you are in the last 30 seconds, when your heart rate is high and you are drenched in sweat. Furthermore, heart rate will slowly decrease over time as you become trained and your heart has to work less to move the same amount of oxygen (oxygen consumed = calories burned).

The Fitbit does a good job of measuring and recording actual movement. It doesn't care how hard your heart is pumping, as that is pretty irrelevant when it comes to calculating calories.
  • enigmaneo
    enigmaneo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    aaahh, OK. Makes sense. Thanks.
  • rodow
    rodow Posts: 26
    Options
    Fitbit Flex ordered...waiting... waiting...
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit and love it. However, it just died. The thing wouldn't charged. I tried everything. The sad thing is that to navigate to the contact us support of the Fitbit sight is quite difficult. There is no address, no phone number. I e mailed them twice about this and got nothing. Has anyone had this issue? If, so please message me. My Fitbit is a year old.

Thanks.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I have had both a fitbit and bodymedia fit, like the Fitbit better. I think the bodymedia fit overestimated my calorie burn by quite a bit.
  • marciabwls
    marciabwls Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the Fitbit...Should have it in a couple days.. So excited.. Maybe now I will no more on how may calories I am burning when I exercise..:smile:
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

The Fitbit Flex, the wrist-worn unit, isn't out yet. The Fitbits that do exist are meant to be worn on the waist or torso.

That said, it's not just a pedometer. It measures its acceleration and movement in space and uses algorithms to determine just how you are moving, in what direction, and how quickly. It can tell the difference between a run and a walk. It's a little tough to intentionally fool, as is the Nike Fuelband and Jawbone Up.

I think the Fitbit has an inherent advantage over HRMs. Heart rate is not necessarily an indicator of energy use - you are burning the same number of calories in the first 30 seconds of a jog, when your heart rate is low, as you are in the last 30 seconds, when your heart rate is high and you are drenched in sweat. Furthermore, heart rate will slowly decrease over time as you become trained and your heart has to work less to move the same amount of oxygen (oxygen consumed = calories burned).

The Fitbit does a good job of measuring and recording actual movement. It doesn't care how hard your heart is pumping, as that is pretty irrelevant when it comes to calculating calories.

HRMs are probably the worst thing to measure calorie burn from. Too many things affect HR for to be very accurate. If you drink caffeine or take any preworkout supplement you will have an artificially raised HR which will affect the calorie burn the HRM gives you.

HRM only tells how hard your heart is working, not much else. I think HRMs are particularly useless for people just starting to workout because when you are not fit you HR spikes and stays elevated in with relatively light exercise.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia and I love it. Only... I wear it tucked into the side panel of my bra (sensors flat against the side of my ribcage) rather than on my arm. In the beginning I wore it on my arm, but I found that the numbers were close to identical wearing it on my side. It's a lot less noticeable/intrusive in my bra. :-)

Ohhhhhh! Interesting! The main thing keeping me from purchasing the BodyMedia is I'm too embarrassed to walk around with a giant device strapped to my arm! In the gym is one thing - but in general public I just don't think I could do it. My FitBit hides so nicely in my bra, but it seems the BodyMedia would be more accurate. But if I could hide the BodyMedia too that would be fabulous.
  • patti0929
    Options
    That's a wonderful idea tucking it inside the bra. I am going to try that with summer coming.
  • 56strong
    Options
    i am now wearing both also and the difference is huge i think. Body media logs way more steps and calories burned vs fitbit. I don't know which one to believe now.
  • 56strong
    Options
    awesome idea of wearing it in my bra. Going to try it today Love this : )
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia and I love it. Only... I wear it tucked into the side panel of my bra (sensors flat against the side of my ribcage) rather than on my arm. In the beginning I wore it on my arm, but I found that the numbers were close to identical wearing it on my side. It's a lot less noticeable/intrusive in my bra. :-)

I wish I had thought of that all these years!!!

I have also heard that BodyMedia is going to be selling a much smaller version soon.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit One, and I freaking LOVE IT.
    There was a useful article on Gizmodo pertaining to the Flex vs. the One, and I'm really glad that I bought my One!
    I could have went with the Zip, but having the stair count motivates me to use the steps more!

Edit- I guess I should elaborate on my FitBit usage.
    1) It syncs with MFP, however, I do log any major workout I do in a day (example- if I go on the elliptical, wearing my HRM, I log that. But when I go for a walk/jog in the evening, I do not log that, but everything still syncs)
    2) I wear my One on my bra, and I get my steps in. I haven't had a problem with steps not logging. However, I know when I would go on walks with someone who uses a Flex, they have to keep their wrist free (which means they can't push a stroller and have accurate steps counted)
    3) I've used a MOVband (thank jebus I got that for free at work, because if I paid for that, I would have rage flipped a table, that thing SUCKED) and my FitBit together to see the counts, and once again, the FitBit was more accurate with steps/miles (I would use an app on my phone to map walks, and the FitBit was more in sync with that than the MOVband)

So, for me, I really like my FitBit, and glad that I got it. (knock on wood) I also haven't lost it, once. Which is impressive, because I would lose my head if it wasn't attached to my neck (I also know I get a decent amount of steps in looking for things I've misplaced... srsly.)
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I've got a FitBit and I love it. I use an HRM during workouts, but my calories in/out vs weight lost is pretty close (around a 50 calorie per day range of error, which on a 2000ish calorie diet isn't bad).
  • redwolf6
    redwolf6 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bump