The Truth about Wine...?

Options

Replies

• sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I plan it in my day if going to share a bottle of wine in an evening. Usually do weekends only, but that's just my personal preference.
  • NOMOREFAIL
    Options
    Alcohol--especially wine, is my MAJOR problem! I also drink about a bottle a night...and that leads me to be hungry and make really poor eating choices. I am thinking that giving it up for the majority of nights per week is KEY!
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    Not sure where you are located but I drink Skinny Grape (I am located in Ontario Canada). I was surprised at how much I actually enjoyed it.
    There is also the Skinny Girl line of drinks - wine, margarita's etc.
    I love wine far too much to give it up, so I figure I am going to drink it anyway might as well try and save a few calories.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Don't drink an entire bottle of wine. Just like don't eat the entire package of Oreos.

Unreasonable Statements Made By People Who Want You To Suffer
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I drink wine almost every day. Most reds and whites have 20 calories per ounce. Black Box Merlot and Cab both have 120 calories per 8oz glass, it's practically diet wine. I prefer the Cabernet, by the way.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    One glass ok. One bottle bad. I'm not saying I haven't done that.. but you can't burn fat if you are burning alcohol. Most wines are about the same number of calories, less alcohol = less calories.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    ok, I thought I was the only one...my BF thinks I am abnormal for drinking wine all the time...however, I have cut back to maybe a glass or 2 once a week...I've lost weight since doing this as well. I was a bottle or 2 on the weekends, now a bottle last 2 weeks .
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I usually always leave room in my diary for drink if I know I am going to indulge.

You really don't NEED to drink a bottle of wine every night.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Cheap low calorie wine???? :sad:

"Much to learn you still have."

Wines have a big range of alcohol content by volume and also calories, enjoy your research. :drinker:
  • Lyndseed
    Lyndseed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love wine too! There's no reason not to have it now and then, but I've cut back...

I've found that dry wines tend to be a lower in sugar and lower in calories, which is good, because I like dry whites and reds the best! I drink red slowly, so I usually don't want more than one glass of it. White wine is a different story; so I mix half club soda and half wine (usually pinot grigio or dry reisling)... that way I can still have 2-3 full glasses, but less calories--and it also keeps me from going zero to drunk idiot in a flash. I'm guessing if you like the sweet stuff (niagara, white zin) it would be tasty mixed with club soda too.
    Options
    I am a wine drinker to and although I could drink a whole bottle, I refrain to one or two glasses., but not to be a bad influence, you olny going to pass by here once and I refuse to cut out some of lifes little pleasures just to drop a pound or two. The only other sugestion would be pick up on the exercise to cover the calories.................Jim
  • Kristy528
    Kristy528 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I like to take bottled water and use the flavored water packets and mix that with flavored vodka. (Grape flavored pinnacle with grape flavored crystal light (not the kind with aspartame)). I used the Splenda or Truvia sweetened ones personally cause aspartame is extremely BAD for you.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I know the sad truth about wine (empty calories, lots of sugar), and I only like white...but that won't stop me! I try to limit to a couple of times a week though. I haven't tried the Skinny Girl, I heard it's not too good though....
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you want me to give up coffee in one thread... and now in this thread you want me to give up wine??

wayne+bradey+choke.jpg
  • K0h4ku
    K0h4ku Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    While I wasn't shocked, I have always left room for 600 calories of wine, because I love it. Pure and simple: I've chosen to make better progress towards my goals by simply skipping the wine at least 4 nights a week. It's hard to get used to if you're used to enjoying it while unwinding at the end of the day, but it's much more enjoyable and I feel SO good when I end up under on calories! Don't let people tell YOU what you need or want. If you're consistent about tracking your progress, you may decide to make the jump to eliminating some nights, too. (Try something like only drinking if you've burned at least a glass of it off that day already! ) Good luck!
  • secretchallenge
    Options
    Well, the problem with alcohol - that includes wine too - is the health damage it's causing. It hurts your brain, your organs and increases risk of cancer... People can talk a lot about how wine is beneficial because of the flavonoids in it, but the good things are totally diminished by the amount of alcohol in it. So I fully understand why people give up drinking.
    But I understand people who like having a drink :) I like wine and beer too!
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Fortunately? Wine gives me a massive headache so I stay away from it. Big fan of Miller Lite though, and I recently discovered mojitos which I make with diet club soda and truvia instead of sugar.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    1200? Seriously, what wine is that??? I love a glass or 3 of wine and I refuse to give it up completely, in fact, I had a glass with lunch today. I have reduced the quantity I consume but not so much the frequency :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I make my own mead but I haven't since I've started MFP I'm afraid to figure out the calories :)
  • Zommbunny
    Options
    Weight watchers do their own low cal wine but I've never tried it - spirits are the diet friendly drink(well water really but we al need a little drink sometimes lol)
    x