The Truth about Wine...?

Replies

• gwenm4
    gwenm4 Posts: 127 Member
    This is my problem as well. We are wine lovers, both learning about and drinking wine. We belong to a wine club and have a group of friends we get together with regularly. I know that there are empty calories in wine and that it's definitely added to my weight gain over the past two years, but it will be a huge lifestyle change to give it up as our friends are big wine lovers and educators. I am starting with just limiting to 1/2 glass of red wine a night during the week for January and let's see how it works! This -- and exercise-- are my biggest crutches!
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    DON'T EVER DISCUSS ANYTHING ABOUT WINE BUT HOW AWESOME AND WONDERFUL IT IS!
  • I just joined myfitnesspal today of of course what is the first forum post I read???? LOL I could say I only have 2 glasses of wine in an evening...but if you saw the size of the glass, you would understand that I am actually almost drinking an entire bottle!! OH NO.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    you-cant-handle-the-truth-meme-generator-you-want-the-truth-you-can-t-handle-the-truth-9789dd.jpg?1353416674.jpg
  • boynan
    boynan Posts: 4 Member
    I too enjoy a nice glass of wine after a day at work, and especially while I am cooking supper....then of couse a nice meal, you need to have a nice glass with that...and I'm not a dessert lover, so, well, lets just have a glass for dessert! No, I am be sarcastic (or am I?? LOL) but I have learned to streeeettcccchhhhh out my glass, so I don't need to cover ALL these activities with ANOTHER glass! I found a really nice white wine, called Skinny GRAPE Chardonnay (they also make a Pinot Grigo). It's Canadian, and fairly new, so not sure if it's made it's way across the borders yet. They only make a white, which is dissappointing, since my favorite is red....but it is a sacrifice I do allow myself to make. I have lost almost 20 lbs in 4 months (made it to 20 before Christmas, then back to 18 after!) and I have never totally given up my wine....I've just learned to enjoy it slower, and lighter types. All in moderation......Cheers!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I recently developed a love affair with wine.

I did not like it before, and now I love it. HOWEVER! I did not understand why on some of these forums people were talking about giving up alcohol... NOW I understand. I did not realize there is anywhere between 600-1200 calories PER BOTTLE!!! And I drink a bottle each time I drink! HOLY CRAP!

Does this shock anyone else? Or have I just been living under a rock? Haha!

Anyone know of any low calorie wines? (cheap, please!) Or low calorie alcohol beverages (no beer, please!)

What type of wine and what size bottle are you drinking? The average calorie count for most wines would be nowhere near 1200 per 750 ml bottle. 600 is not uncommon though. It's about the same calories as in a Big Mac or a bowl of Ben & Jerry. Some people like to eat crappy hamburgers or ice cream. I like to drink wine.

I drink wine every day, but I stick to 1/2 bottle per day except on occasions. I consider weekends to be occasions.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    drink back your exercise calories
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    I too love my wine but I have cut back alot lately.
    I still enjoy a glass or two every now & again (mostly on weekends) but I have been trying
    not too drink the whole bottle ha!

red wine is better for you than whites.....because of the processing of the grapes
    I am not picky though...I love them both. Have my favorites in both red/white :D

Dr Oz says:
    "Red wine reduces cholesterol levels and allows you to wash the plaque out of your arteries. And since red wine is good for your arteries, it also helps bring more oxygen to your skin. Drink one glass of red wine a day if you are a woman (and not pregnant) and drink two glasses of red wine a day if you are a man. "

All in moderation....
    Gotta have alittle fun in life.....life is too short not too!

Cheers! :drinker:
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    <<Wine is delicious. I only drink it by the bottle.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    I know its a no-no, but I add ice to my (white) wine. It dilutes it and makes a glass last a lot longer. Sometimes I'll put some pierier in there too, like a wine spritzer. Not as good as the real thing, obviously, but keeps my wine drinking at bay.
  • sgall123
    sgall123 Posts: 133 Member
    I drink wine & have done for years & I've never come across a bottle which is 1200 calories ever!!! The most is 600 but I only drink rose or sparking rose.. Can't talk for reds!!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    For me .... Yes all alcohol in any amount had to stop. I would suggest that if you are prediabetic or diabetic that you would want to stop also. But if you can handle it and log it accurately then I really see no reason not to enjoy it occasionally. Moderation in all things.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    8362185654_5ba719eacc_n.jpg
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    There is that Skinny Girl line, but I have no idea if it is good or not. Here's to hoping :drinker:
    Skinny Girl sucks.
  • I only drink now and again but if I do I add low cal tonic water with a twist of lemon to my wine and halve the calories.,:heart:
  • sgall123
    sgall123 Posts: 133 Member
    I also like lime flavoured vodka with diet coke & it's only 79 calories or Malibu & diet coke which is about 65.. All this talk of alcohol is making me want some but I'm taking part in the dryathlon in aid of cancer research so no alcohol all January!! Roll on 1st feb:drinker:
  • missjeanlouise
    missjeanlouise Posts: 80 Member
    I love my red wine and I'm not going to dilute it with anything!
    That said, my New Year's Eve food journal was full of sad, so I know I can't drink it often. It makes me really puffy, too, which isn't good for the ol' self-esteem.
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    In vino veritas
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    here is my thoughts:

i quit drinking to stick to my calories.

now when I drink, I only need one glass.

I WIN!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    true winos can add me.