I've been starving myself!

Options
124»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm getting a little upset; did you not read what I wrote? What happened was her TDEE increased.

How long should one expect that take?

One day, if you walk just one extra time around the block, your TDEE is higher. I'm done talking with you, you are either willfully obstinate or woefully ignorant.

Actually, that's what I've been saying all along. That she increased her activity level. A person who was not losing weight, does not magically lose weight by simply eating more for a short period of time.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Something is amiss. If you were really eating 1200 caories per day for an entire year and haven't lost any weight at all, how is adding more calories going to make you lose?

Perhaps, for her body, it was starvation mode? I see it was already answered, but yeah...when you starve your body, even when YOU don't think you are starving, it holds on to everything in case you really are, in fact, starving.

That's why I'm in my plateau right now, actually.

Starvation mode may cause a plateau, but it doesn't prevent someone from ever losing any weight. Thtat's not how the body works. If she was truly eating only 1200 calories for an entire year and didn't lose any weight, eating more calories will cause her to gain unless she also changes her activity level, because clearly 1200 is her TDEE.

No one's TDEE is 1200. For example, I'm 32 and 5'7". In order for my TDEE to approach 1200, I'd have to weigh 50 pounds and be sedentary. Then it would be CLOSE to 1200, but not quite that low. I'm pretty sure if I weighed 50 pounds, I'd be dead.

I try to avoid callling people out, but that is a potentially dangerous statement, since the only way to lose weight is to eat substantially less than your TDEE, and your statement "clearly 1200 is her TDEE" would inply that in order to lose weight, the OP would have to eat around 700 calories per day, and that is not even remotely safe or healthy. Research a little bit before you make such statements please.

*sigh* Can you tell me the definition of TDEE?

Sure :)

TDEE is the common abbreviation for Total Daily Energy Expenditure which is a metric to calculate the amount of calories your body needs to function in a day.

Okay, so TDEE is the amount of calories our body uses every day. If we consume that amount every day, will we gain or lose weight?

Yes. When figuring our your TDEE, you will enter some basic information like current weight and your goal weight. The site that you use (unless you want to do all the calculations on your own) will give you what your TDEE should be at each level of activity. That is the calories you need to eat to lose weight (or gain if that is what you are trying to do).

If you go to http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ and enter your info - you will see what I am talking about.

If you follow the instructions on Helliotdans post that I put the link to - you will eat -20% of that.

For example...

Say the website you use gives you a TDEE of 1800 at Lightly Active to get to your goal weight. To be clear - these are the calories you can eat AND STILL lose the weight. This is healthy because just cutting out and dropping your calories (especially under your BMR) can have bad effects on your body.

You can eat -20% of the TDEE though, which means you can set your calorie goal to about 1500 if you don't want to just set the goal to your full TDEE and still be okay.
  • sophasaurusxx
    Options
    '' i've been starving myself! ''

Ive been over eating, please to meet ya!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Something is amiss. If you were really eating 1200 caories per day for an entire year and haven't lost any weight at all, how is adding more calories going to make you lose?

Perhaps, for her body, it was starvation mode? I see it was already answered, but yeah...when you starve your body, even when YOU don't think you are starving, it holds on to everything in case you really are, in fact, starving.

That's why I'm in my plateau right now, actually.

Starvation mode may cause a plateau, but it doesn't prevent someone from ever losing any weight. Thtat's not how the body works. If she was truly eating only 1200 calories for an entire year and didn't lose any weight, eating more calories will cause her to gain unless she also changes her activity level, because clearly 1200 is her TDEE.

No one's TDEE is 1200. For example, I'm 32 and 5'7". In order for my TDEE to approach 1200, I'd have to weigh 50 pounds and be sedentary. Then it would be CLOSE to 1200, but not quite that low. I'm pretty sure if I weighed 50 pounds, I'd be dead.

I try to avoid callling people out, but that is a potentially dangerous statement, since the only way to lose weight is to eat substantially less than your TDEE, and your statement "clearly 1200 is her TDEE" would inply that in order to lose weight, the OP would have to eat around 700 calories per day, and that is not even remotely safe or healthy. Research a little bit before you make such statements please.

*sigh* Can you tell me the definition of TDEE?

Sure :)

TDEE is the common abbreviation for Total Daily Energy Expenditure which is a metric to calculate the amount of calories your body needs to function in a day.

Okay, so TDEE is the amount of calories our body uses every day. If we consume that amount every day, will we gain or lose weight?

Yes. When figuring our your TDEE, you will enter some basic information like current weight and your goal weight. The site that you use (unless you want to do all the calculations on your own) will give you what your TDEE should be at each level of activity. That is the calories you need to eat to lose weight (or gain if that is what you are trying to do).

If you go to http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ and enter your info - you will see what I am talking about.

If you follow the instructions on Helliotdans post that I put the link to - you will eat -20% of that.

For example...

Say the website you use gives you a TDEE of 1800 at Lightly Active to get to your goal weight. To be clear - these are the calories you can eat AND STILL lose the weight. This is healthy because just cutting out and dropping your calories (especially under your BMR) can have bad effects on your body.

You can eat -20% of the TDEE though, which means you can set your calorie goal to about 1500 if you don't want to just set the goal to your full TDEE and still be okay.

*sigh* You don't need a calculator to tell you your TDEE if you been eating a consistent number of calories daily for an entire year without losing or gaining weight. TDEE is the number of calories at which you neither lose nor gain, regardless of what any online calculator tells you.

Calculators only give averages.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    *sigh* You don't need a calculator to tell you your TDEE if you been eating a consistent number of calories daily for an entire year without losing or gaining weight. TDEE is the number of calories at which you neither lose nor gain, regardless of what any online calculator tells you.

*sigh* Everything Joylia wrote was true including the answer to your rhetorical question. You done hijacking this nice lady's thread now?
  • bcattoes
    Options

*sigh* Everything Joylia wrote was true including the answer to your rhetorical question. You done hijacking this nice lady's thread now?

I didn't highjack her thread. If she wants to use TDEE, then she needs to understand what it is. It's pretty clear several people on this thread don't.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    I didn't highjack her thread. If she wants to use TDEE, then she needs to understand what it is. It's pretty clear several people on this thread don't.

SHE HASN'T USED THE WORD ONCE!!! What is the matter with you???
  • bcattoes
    Options

SHE HASN'T USED THE WORD ONCE!!! What is the matter with you???

But she has been told to use it multiple times on a thread asking for advice. Don't you think it's a pretty safe bet she might try to use it?
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    But she has been told to use it multiple times on a thread asking for advice. Don't you think it's a pretty safe bet she might try to use it?

No, I think she's doing just fine, is seeing weight loss at her current intake, and feels good.
  • bcattoes
    Options

No, I think she's doing just fine, is seeing weight loss at her current intake, and feels good.

Oh, well good for her then. She doesn't need to worry about TDEE.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1200 calories and I've lost 66lbs since July.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I think people are confusing 'starvation' and 'starvation mode'. Yes, people will lose weight if they starve, both fat and muscle. People can maintain on starvation mode because the body is clinging on to resources and trying to compensate through sleep, it is probably breaking down muscle and trying to store as much fat as it can.

Bodies are quite adaptable things, and one with plenty of reserves should be able to survive at 1200 calories for some time. If you were to take someone with almost no body fat and put them on 1200 cals I imagine there would be a significant difference - you would probably see muscle wastage pretty quickly.

Its not as simple as "if someone didn't lose weight at 1200 cals for one year it MUST be their TDEE", because the body had an energy store to begin with