I hate to exercise -

Options
My idea of a good evening is a warm fire and a good book. I spend a lot of time staring at the exercise bike but not much time on it. Any suggestions for getting motivate to work out?

Replies

• Ascalzo13
    Options
    One thing that helped me, but might not be for everyone. I found a picture of when I was a Senior in High school (my target weight again 125 and fit) I made several copies at home of course. Then I found a similar outfit and took a picture of me now with additional copies. I took a 5x7 piece of cardboard and put my now picture on one side and my old picture on the other. I hung one in my closet, one in my bathroom (kids have separate bathroom), one in front of my elliptical machine. It reminds me everyday why I want to do this. It has worked for me so far....
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I joined the gym closest to my home so I wouldn't have many excuses about the location of it. I've also got a path at work that I get up about once an hour and "walk around the office".
  • SunshineDecember
    SunshineDecember Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'd hate exercising too, if I was stuck inside on an exercise bike :P Try out different sports, go for a walk, hike, run, or bike ride out side, join a club...
    Personally, I fell in love with HIIT (high intensity interval training) workouts - their short (max 20 mins) and effective, but absolutely brutal. If you want some more info on them, feel free to message me :)
    I've also recently discovered audio books. I LOVE biking or running while listening to audio books, or a good play list. Just find out what work for you. Working out isn't always gonna be fun and easy cruising - in the beginning it'll be especially hard - but it shouldn't be something you dread either :)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Just do it (and I'm saying this to myself, too). I don't particularly like brushing my teeth, but I do it.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I too love to sit on my *kitten* and do nothing after work. So I started getting up early and working out in the morning. I run at the gym 3 days a week and do DVDs at home for strength training the other 3 days. I will say that I hated working out at first but lately I've noticed that I'm in a much better mood when I work out. I usually take Sundays off to recoop and have been finding myself a Grumpy Gus.

Try different things until you find what works for you.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Find something to distract yourself from the fact that you are working out... Like watching TV... I can also read on the bike... Not so much on the elliptical or the treadmill... Sure you might have to work out for an hr to get the amount of calories you want to burn at that pace, instead of half an hour or whatever if you were doing kickboxing... But hey even working out at just a moderate intensity burns more calories than sitting on the couch looking at the exercise bike...
  • _reno_
    _reno_ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Do something fun and active. Cardio on a machine SUCKS!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    DANCE!

Put on you favorite music and move to the groove.

Once you get in the habit of doing that, look into classes or DVDs that will help you learn new moves and push your heart rate higher.

It doesn't have to be gym classes, swing dance is growing in popularity again and classes can be found all over the country. Not the acrobatic kind we see in movies, stuff we can all do with just a little practice. It will get your heart beat up and those big band songs tend to be longer than modern pop songs, so you don't get to rest as often :)
  • cyclechick17
    Options
    you have to want to do it for yourself, dont look at it like a chore, look at it as being fun. I hate the treadmill BUT with the IFIT program that I recently acquired, I purchased a workout with Jillian Michaels, it uploads to my treadmill and eveyr minute she yells or says something to me. Boy, the first day, that 30 minutes went by SO FAST because every minute I listened to her say something inspiring to me. I love that program and it worked for me and it was FUN.

good luck.
    Pauline
  • bsmithmia
    bsmithmia Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Join a class at a gym like spin. Anything that can keep you on a schedule should help until it gets routine.
  • HunterTrouble
    HunterTrouble Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I get up at ungodly hours and exercise in the morning. I have no motivation at night.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't like exercise, but I LOVE the results I get, so I do the work!
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    read your book while on the bike.. A- you will get in your exercise and B-you will get to read your book.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    1) agree with those who say get a funner workout...outdoors, element of danger were my faves mtn. bike, roller blade, etc. if that's not possible
    2) trick yourself by saying you're only gonna sit on the bike. Then once your seated tell yourself you're only going to pedal for one minute. when the minute passes tell yourself might as well get to a nice round number like ten minutes. then tell yourself might as well double that. Etc.
    3) put your book up on that flat thing where the tv is. OR get a kindle reader gadget. Only allow yourself to read WHILE On the machine. The reading will distract you from the exercise it will take your full attention. You might need to set an alarm to remind yourself when to get off the thing!
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    My idea of a good evening is a warm fire and a good book. I spend a lot of time staring at the exercise bike but not much time on it. Any suggestions for getting motivate to work out?

not meaning to sound rude but, bottom line is, get over it and get to work!! Healthy dieting isn't worth a dime without at least getting a little active. I'm no Mr. Fitness but, I do know what it's done for me the past year and a lot of others on here too. just my opinion :) Wish you luck
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I sincerely hated exercise too at the beginning, but just kept trying stuff until I found something I could tolerate. I still have to force myself to work out some days, but it's always worth it and I feel great after. Just do it until it becomes habit.
  • kwindsor3
    Options
    I was a "hater" of exercise. But, once you start going and making a habit out of it, it's pretty easy. If you have a bike you can watch TV and even read while pedaling. I use my kindle on the bike. I can play games, read or search the web. Time just seems to fly.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Suck it up and get on the bike, princess.
  • corrinnebrown
    Options
    watch biggest loser? i am always so motivated to work out when I watch that show. :)

Find something you like to do...
    zumba, swim, run
  • BodyByViCourt
    Options
    Do something that you find FUN. I love to dance and I have so many dance games around the house. I bought a Heart Rate Monitor and found out how many calories I burn when I play a dancing game for 45 minutes. ITS A LOT. close to 600 calories. Don't spend your time doing something you don't like. Find your interests and put them to workouts :) good luck!