I hate to exercise -

Options

Replies

• brittDbritt
    Options
    put it in front of the tv and pedal while you watch tv.and personaly my modivation is how great i feel when i eat right and work out
  • sofulnaturalee
    sofulnaturalee Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Dancing is a great workout. I hate to workout as well but love to dance and I've taught dance before. Dancing doesn't feel like exercise to me and you get great results. If I don't think of it as workingout it seems to be more fun and gets me going. My favorite is hiphop and praise dancing. Good luck. You will find something that you like. When it comes to exercising you sometimes have to do a trial period. :-)
  • SunshineDecember
    SunshineDecember Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Something else that really motivates me when working out - stop doing it to burn calories, and start doing it to get stronger. Track how many reps you can do, how many miles you can run/walk/bike. How fast can you go? How heavy can you lift?
    When you start seeing the results, you'll never wanna stop!
  • kacnallsmom
    kacnallsmom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I hate to excersize too. I lost 40 lbs last year and it helped going to a gym. I tend to work out less amount of time if I am at home. Also, if you are doing a bike get a book or some music and make sure to cover the timer. I found that if I clock watched I would quit sooner.

Everyone always says you'll learn to love it. I never did. I always fall off the excersize wagon because I hate it. I need to do it to loose weight but I despise working out. I have 30 more lbs to loose so I am back on the wagon again LOL. Good luck.
  • I have the same book to elliptical ratio issue!! Oh, and a real love of cheese & crackers, thats an issue. I just started on MFP & need others to help me stay motivated! :) YOU CAN DO THIS! Book stand available for the bike possibly??
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    So don't exercise.

Seriously.

Exercise is good for you, because it makes you healthy.

But if your goal is to lose weight, you will be much farther ahead of the game to not eat calories as opposed to trying to exercise them off.

As they say, you can't out train a bad diet.

Focus on the diet.
  • cathybruno
    Options
    I feel your message. I hate exercising in the evening as well. The best time in my opinion to exercise is first thing in the morning as soon as you get up, because you get it over with for the day and it is a great start to your day. But, like most of us, time is very limited in the morning and therefore we have to take time in the evening.

Another suggestion, is to exercise prior to having your dinner. It is a good way of curbing your appetite and so you don't eat so much, and then you can look forward to a relaxing night ahead because you have done your workout for the day.
  • keya51
    keya51 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't like exercise, but I LOVE the results I get, so I do the work!

this is how i feel. another way is to weigh the options.. health or no health
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Find an exercise you like
  • jeanmoreno
    jeanmoreno Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    dont take it the wrong way,im not trying to be nasty ,but remember if you dont take the time to look after your health now you will have to take the time to look after your diseases one day! think of it!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    My idea of a good evening is a warm fire and a good book. I spend a lot of time staring at the exercise bike but not much time on it. Any suggestions for getting motivate to work out?

If exercise isn't your thing I would suggest walking. Even better - get a walking buddy, make a walking date! Try dancing, swimming, yoga. Leslie Sansone has a great line of walking DVD's. Super easy to follow and low impact.
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    My mum walks with an iPod and headphones that she has audio books on. She ends up walking miles to find out what happens next
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I DVR certain TV shows and only allow myself to watch them if I am on my elliptical. I love The Biggest Loser, but I have to watch it from my elliptical, not the couch.
  • flying_inside
    flying_inside Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I openly hate exercise and doing anything that doesn't jive with me. I'm really learning the "baby steps" method as of late, though. Something I do like doing is walking. So, I'm starting there. I'm planning to do more, when ready. In the meantime, calorie counting has worked well. Best of luck to you!
  • flying_inside
    flying_inside Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My idea of a good evening is a warm fire and a good book. I spend a lot of time staring at the exercise bike but not much time on it. Any suggestions for getting motivate to work out?

If exercise isn't your thing I would suggest walking. Even better - get a walking buddy, make a walking date! Try dancing, swimming, yoga. Leslie Sansone has a great line of walking DVD's. Super easy to follow and low impact.

agree!
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    find someone to exercise with. Someone to either walk with, do an exercise video with, go to a class with. Make an appointment with each other and then you are obligated to one another and will hold each other accountable.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    You either want to or you don't. No one but YOU can motivate you to do something - especially something like exercise. You know the benefits of exercising. You know what you like and don't like. Now, the rest is up to you. I prefer to be still very active when I move into my 70s and 80s. I'm in my mid 50s - and I feel like there's a lot of water under the bridge. Mostly, I don't want someone to have to push my fat self around in a wheel chair or lug me in or out of bed. But, that's just me.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I get up at ungodly hours and exercise in the morning. I have no motivation at night.

Me, too. And on my lunch hour at work. I have a great boss that lets me eat at my desk after.
  • LaDarby11
    Options
    I also despise exercising, but since it's necessary for effective weight loss, I've gotten out my Just Dance on the Wii and I do that every day and try to get at least 2,000 sweat points. I will soon break back out my Wii Fit and do those exercises again. My hubby and I walk at the local park every weekend for at least 2 laps (It's nearly a mile long). Once I get over this feeling icky, I'll dust off the ol' 30 Day Shred. I had success with it before, I'm sure I can do it again!
  • wooface
    wooface Posts: 12
    Options
    I bought a cross trainer for home, and I watch TV when I work out. I work such long/demanding hours and by the end of the day I am so drained that going to the gym may as well be at the top of Mount Everest. So far so good. I am breaking it up with exercise DVDs, and walking.

I think you just have to find something that works with your schedule, and your likes and dislikes. :) Good luck :)