The New Rules of Lifting for Women

Options
Has anyone read this? I'm not big on instructional books and was wondering if I'd be better off going to google or youtube to find weight lifting routines?

Replies

• OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    ^bump!
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Lots of women like it. I would recommend Starting Strength
  • ionaday
    ionaday Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've read this book and found it very intresting. It's very down to earth and an easy to the point read.
    Due to recent abdominal surgery I'm unable to follow the exercise plan but it looks easy enough to stick to.
    I'd say it's worth a read.
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read this? I'm not big on instructional books and was wondering if I'd be better off going to google or youtube to find weight lifting routines?
    Check out groups. There is a NROL4W group with lots of info. i did start it but got bored. In fact, I've started all of them but lose interest after the first or second stage because I am short on time and if it is more than 45 min, I won't stay committed. That's just me.
  • OtiWanKenobi
    Options
    I've read this book and found it very intresting. It's very down to earth and an easy to the point read.
    Due to recent abdominal surgery I'm unable to follow the exercise plan but it looks easy enough to stick to.
    I'd say it's worth a read.

Thanks for your input. I think I will get. Worth a try. ;)

Hope you recover soon from your surgery!
  • OtiWanKenobi
    Options
    Lots of women like it. I would recommend Starting Strength

Is this also a book?
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I jst finished the book and I am stating stage 1 on Monday.
    The groups on here have a lot of helpful info on them.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Love this! I also recommend Stronglifts 5x5.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Love this! I also recommend Stronglifts 5x5.

I was going to say this or Starting Strength

Stronglifts is free and downloadable

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    If you don't think you'll read the book, then I agree with others regarding StrongLifts. Very easy to follow. There is a phone app that you can use to track your workouts.

If you haven't done compound lifts before, I'd recommend getting on YouTube and searching for Mark Rippetoe and watching is form videos on squats, deadlifts, overheads and bench.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

i see someone already posted stronglifts

I like New Rules, but I think these 2 programs are more simple to understand, and you can get started quickly while reading the New Rules book.

just my opinion
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    after the first phase I gave it up... bored me to death I moved on to my own program

its good to start with tho

stronglifts is also a good program

check the links that Crankstr provided and best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am on day 9 of the first phase of NROLFW. I LOVE IT!! The group is also very heplful.

I hope you find a strength program you enjoy, I don't know why I didn't start sooner!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I didn't see it, here's the New Rules Group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-

I loved the program, it did great things for me, am actually the mod of that group and still support it even though I'm not doing to program. I tried SL and found that program was not for me. I periodically come back to new rules, but am currently giving PHAT a go.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    after the first phase I gave it up... bored me to death I moved on to my own program

its good to start with tho

stronglifts is also a good program

check the links that Crankstr provided and best of luck :flowerforyou:

Most people who have been in a weight room before get bored with stage 1 of NR, I personally moved onto Stage 2 two weeks early for that reason and cut it in half my second time through.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It's good. I got a lot of answers from it that I couldn't find on the internet.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I am on Stage 6 of NROL4W and love it. I was a newbie to weights and I found it very easy and not at all boring. The first Stage is long, but the other Stages are shorter. The book itself is very interesting to read regardless.
    New Rules of Lifting for Abs is also a great read. The title is deceiving in that it's not only for abs. It's a full body workout.
  • cyberblonde
    cyberblonde Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 looks v focused on men wanting bulky muscles. How does it work for women, same result? Sorry for pinching your thread to ask my own question, but I am also interested.
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    am currently giving PHAT a go.

What's PHAT?
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 looks v focused on men wanting bulky muscles. How does it work for women, same result? Sorry for pinching your thread to ask my own question, but I am also interested.

i wouldn't say bulky, i'd say strong. women don't have the required hormones to get big like men do. check out -> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

She's the reason I started. Look at those abs!