Grapefruit is evil (and won't help you "burn fat")

Options
124»

Replies

• Sharkington
    Options
    I am going to enjoy a rather large grapefruit in a little bit. I love them. Delicious, delicious, yum yum yum.
  • FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    The gist of the article is corerct. I am on BP meds, and my doctor told me that I cannot eat grapefruit nor its juice as each would interfere with my medication. :cry:

But the bear thing sounds linteresting. :wink:

Yes, grapefruit has been known to interfere with some medications. I like grapefruit a lot and have never eaten it or other food to burn calories. That's the purpose of exercise. Food is for building, repairing and energizing our bodies. Grapefruit has vitamins, minerals and enzymes that do this. And it's so refreshing!
  • Unclemark
    Options
    Grapefruit IS evil... I've seen the way they look at me.

lawlz

I'd volunteer for the bear wrestling bit, but as you can clearly see...I am much too lazy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    from the article:

"Experts once thought grapefruit contained a mysterious enzyme that dissolved fat, but that theory was debunked in 2011

I think they are using the term "experts" pretty loosely. What nutrition expert ever thought any food contained a "mysterious enzyme" that burned fat?

Though I guess they don't specify at what these "experts" were experts.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    So...it's evil because it's not magical?

Damn it, that means I'm evil too.

But I already knew that.

Excuse me while I go eat a grapefruit in my evil lair.

If you're going to be evil you might as well be magical too. Get working on that!
  • MrsSardone
    MrsSardone Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit is evil because it has been known to partake in blood sacrifice rituals to make deals with Satan...but it's still tasty!
  • chrome_princess
    chrome_princess Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I miss grapefruit! :sad: Why does it have to interact with so many medications? :brokenheart:

^^ THIS!!!! I am right there with you!!!
  • FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit is = Evil
    I like grapefruit.
    Therefore I am evil :laugh:
    Vive Grapefruit!
  • NordicAlien
    NordicAlien Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    *lifts hand ashamedly*

Several times in my childhood and high school years, I ate grapefruit in the hopes of losing weight. It was one of the (many) diets that my (much-beloved but nuts when it comes to food and dieting) mom had me on.

What I was always taught was that you eat a high-fat meal two or three times a day, with half a grapefruit afterwards, and the grapefruit burns the fat. The more fat in the meal the better. Like eggs and bacon or something. This sounded suspect to me even as a kid, but who was I to argue with my mom? (Also, I liked grapefruit diet weeks. It was about the only time that fat wasn't considered the enemy.)

Surprisingly, I did lose weight in the short-term, I can only assume because I was eating a decent amount of calories for once and therefore had the energy to exercise properly. (This in NO way implies that I believe the grapefruit did the work for me.)

Personally, I eat the stuff because I love it. Despite the childhood diets, grapefruit and I have a happy, comfortable relationship. One of my first jobs was as an art and photography model when I was in college, and for the first year or so the guy paid me in grapefruit. He didn't have much money, but he lived near the Covent Garden fruit and veg market, so he'd go down really early in the morning and get a whole load of grapefruit for me for pennies. I was happy, because it stopped me having to pay supermarket prices (about £1 / $1.50 a fruit back then!) for them.

A year or two after that, after Cam had started paying me in money and I was buying my grapefruit from Tesco, I was dating my mom's lodger and one day he asked me what that weird thing in the fruit bowl was. "Um, it's a grapefruit?" I said quizzically.

"What?" said he. "Grape fruit? Grapes are little soft things that hang off a vine. Red or green. Not huge orange-type things." (Apparently grapefruit are not big in Ghana, where he was from.)

So I laughed and cut it up for him, and then watched his face as he ate some and then pretended to like it so I wasn't offended. I think that's when I fell in love with him. :)

Anyway, I think grapefruit's brilliant. Aside from the medication thing. And the fact that far too many people I know eat a half for breakfast and a half for lunch and pile three tablespoons of white sugar on top of it each time, and then call it healthy eating and criticize my sandwich or fruit & nut cereal for being unhealthy. *eyeroll* That ain't the fruit's fault, though. :P