Girlies need some help......the implant

Options
feathertouch
feathertouch Posts: 156 Member
Hey all
I'm due to get the implant tomorrow but really nervous and doubting it a little just due to fear. I was wanting to know if any of you have the implant in and what benefits do you find with it or negatives?
Please reply

Replies

• WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    which implant?

b00bs?
    chin?
    calf?
    bicep?
    norplant?
    IUD?
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    which implant?

b00bs?
    chin?
    calf?
    bicep?
    norplant?
    IUD?

You left out butt.. Cant forget that.
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Isn't the day before your surgery kind of last minute to be inquiring about pro's and con's of implants? Just saying.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Singular?
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I'm confused...
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Lots of Testosterone treatments going around these days...
  • samantha8jean
    samantha8jean Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    im guessing shes talking about birth control..the one that goes in the arm???
  • feathertouch
    feathertouch Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    LOL I'm so sorry I was not clear on it at all!!! Thought you were all mind readers ;p IUD implant, it's not surgery it's really quick and I can change my mind any time, It's just the night before nerves getting to me a bit! Sorry for being so unclear!
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    LOL I'm so sorry I was not clear on it at all!!! Thought you were all mind readers ;p IUD implant, it's not surgery it's really quick and I can change my mind any time, It's just the night before nerves getting to me a bit! Sorry for being so unclear!

Ohh.. "The" implant. ... :noway:
  • johnieC
    johnieC Posts: 38
    Options
    uniboob
  • Adina81
    Adina81 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Are you getting the mirena IUD? I've had mine just under a year....

(apparently if you have had children it doesn't even have any pain effect)

I don't have any kids: It killed for 2 days afterwards. Otherwise....its a dream come true.
    No weight gain. No cramping and now no periods. Just a little spotting.
  • neuro_nut
    neuro_nut Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have one and love it! No more pills to take, no more condoms to fumble with...
    I love the reliability and the fact that I don't have to think about it - at least for 5 years, anyways :)
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I know a few people who have choosen to get one, it is good but it does have it's own set of side effects. But it is safe :)

Please do make sure you have someone to take you home afterward and it's even better if someone can be home with you until the next morning just to be sure everything was good.
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If you've never had children, be prepared to experience pain. They have to physically dilate your cervix to get the thing in there, and it doesn't feel great. Take some anti-inflammatories before you go. You will cramp and possibly spot for several days, and it will suck.

I haven't had a period in years, but many of the people I know, including my doctor, have not had their periods starting after a few months of insertion. The IUD has a pretty high rejection rate, so you should be prepared for possible rejection and be prepared to check that it's in place often, at least until it settles in. If you're getting the mirena, you'll be good for five years.

I had mine put in in 2013 when my low dose birth control pills were physically making me ill and totally ruining my hormone balance. There's a small amount of hormones in the mirena, but not enough to make me ill. There are some serious issues that can occur, like perforation and what not, but they're rare. Women with IUDs are more likely to develop benign cysts. I have them but rarely notice.

That's about all I've got for ya.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    If you've had a child insertion is pretty easy, if you have not it can be painful but it's quick.

I LOVED mine, and only recently had it out after the full 5 years, the hubby got snipped so no need for another one.

If you can take 600mg of Ibuprofen beforehand and you might feel crampy or bloated for a couple days afterward. Some spotting is normal for 6 weeks afterward and some women have spotting up to 6 months randomly afterward, then often lighter and shorter periods.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Well, I went off BC recently because of a TIA (UNRELATED SO WE'RE THINKING), and looked into many options... and I know a super pro is that on the copper IUD, there's literally no increased risk of blood clot.

Why, exactly are you scared? I understand nerves, but being "scared" seems to me to scream of "second guessing possible side effects." Then again, side effects don't affect EVERYONE... and then, it seems like you'll have positives you never dreamed of with an IUD, but negatives you may not want to deal with.

I don't know; BC is a ***** no matter what, it seems.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Before I got mine, I already had heavy menstral periods. After I got it, it was twice as bad and cramping like I NEVER had before. Only lasted 2 years with it and I had enough and got it fixed permanent like now.

Everyone is different, but you threw the question out there and just giving you my experience.
  • triff14
    triff14 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I decided against the implant because I don't like the thought of not being able to stop it without going in to have it removed. If there are any bad side effects it's much harder to switch than through pills, nuvaring, etc, but if you've been taking birth control for a while maybe you already know what dose you need. My brother and his gf had a baby a year ago and she got the implant right after and she loves it because it is so easy!

Edit: She had the arm implant, though, not the IUD. My mom and aunt both had IUD's...after my mom got it she never stopped bleeding which was was worse than her monthly period. My aunt got it and it was absorbed into her uterus and she had to have it surgically cut out. Maybe it's just in my family's genes, though!
  • Adina81
    Adina81 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Oh ya!

DEFINITELY get someone to drive you home!!
    its awesome to have bedside service the next day as well :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    A few hours of being uncomfortable is worth the 5 years protection. Take Tylenol before. It will be ok