Yoga for the (very) chubby girl?

Options
124»

Replies

• galvodka
    galvodka Posts: 102
    Options
    I too was about 250 lbs when I first started yoga. I stayed all the way in the back of the class and HATED the first three classes. I did wind up falling in love with yoga...love the way it felt and the way it made me look. Yoga made me feel so much stronger physically and definitely helped with toning my body, and helped me relax. Try it!!

Also....do not let what you think that others think of you stop you from doing anything! I have tried yoga videos and personally prefer the class setting over doing yoga at home.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine on here sent me a couple of yoga DVDs that she was not using, and one of them is Just My Size yoga, that is meant for us heavier people. I LOVE it!! The lady on the video is also overweight, and the moves are all doable. I had never tried yoga before, but have started with this and am loving it.
  • luvsyoga
    luvsyoga Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Go for it. A good yoga instructor will show you different levels of each pose, do what you can. You'll be amazed at how good you will feel!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I wanted to try it too but I'm very overweight too... I was going to wait. I don't see how I can possibly do any of the moves or whatever they're called being as fat as I am.

One thing I have learned from years of doing yoga is that everyone struggles with something. People who are very strong are often stiff as boards. People who are flexible often struggle with poses that take a lot of strength. And no one walks into a yoga class for the first time and does the poses you see pictures of. Those people have taken years, or decades, to achieve those poses, and they are also genetically predisposed to be able to achieve them.

There are some unique challenges to doing yoga when you're very overweight, but there are also a lot of rewards. Don't wait until you're thin to start living your life and doing what you want to do.

This