Experienced body builders. Need advice please

Options

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Cardio during a bulk will do nothing but benefit you as long as you eat more calories to compensate.

So eat back the calories and net zero, all the while taxing his recovery system? Where's the benefit? Pass
    How is walking taxing the the CNS? Hell, even one session of ketllebell swings won't tax the CNS.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Cardio during a bulk will do nothing but benefit you as long as you eat more calories to compensate.

So eat back the calories and net zero, all the while taxing his recovery system? Where's the benefit? Pass
    Benefit would be a stronger cardiovascular system to increase workout intensity on lifting days. Moderate/Low intensity cardio has been shown to improve recovery, not impede it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,725 Member
    Options
    I started out almost 30 years ago at 124lbs. and was given just a starting program of pullups, squats and bench for 3 solid months. I did 4 sets of 6-12 reps 3 times a week. This help start a good base for me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AntWrig
    Options

Benefit would be a stronger cardiovascular system to increase workout intensity on lifting days. Moderate/Low intensity cardio has been shown to improve recovery, not impede it.
    Well said.
  • thatwrestler
    Options
    Definitley switch the muscle groups you work from day to day, I would do something more like this (by days) cardio, legs; cardio, upper; cardio; cardio, core; cardio; legs; cardio, upper. But really you can do everything those machines are giving you by yourself, if you can just get in a matted room and do some combination of running, pushups, planks, v ups, mountain climbers, high knees, and other high intensity drills you'll be working more muscle groups with less isolation. That way your muscle is general (unless you're going for a specific spot but that generally comes later). Good luck! P.S. Find a spotter!!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    3 or 4x a week alternating muscle groups is plenty -- feed your body nutritious food with emphasis on quality protein and don't go crazy on the cardio, if any. Make sure you're lifting heavy and aim to increase the weight while paying attention to form so you work the muscles you're trying to work and don't injure yourself in the process. If you're starting out, watch plenty of videos -- try to be as self-aware as possible, have a spotter, trainer, or a knowledgeable friend on hand to help. Stick with a program and track your progress regularly. And listen to some of the knowledgeable folks on this forum, they definitely know what they're talking about. It's not about going to extremes, it's about sticking to a plan. Best of luck.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Well said.

I don't do any cardio simply because I hate it, but regarding potential benefits: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/cardio-and-mass-gains.html

Just linking that for whoever is interested, it's a good read.
  • auroranflash
    Options
    p.s. make sure you incorporate a good stretching routine, it will help reduce risk of injury.
  • AntWrig
    Options

Well said.

I don't do any cardio simply because I hate it, but regarding potential benefits: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/cardio-and-mass-gains.html

Just linking that for whoever is interested, it's a good read.
    I feel the same way. I deplore it.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights, eat lots of food, get plenty of rest, you'll be living the good life.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,725 Member
    Options
    p.s. make sure you incorporate a good stretching routine, it will help reduce risk of injury.
    Actually this has been recently found to be untrue if you do it before exercise.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10593217

However, if you want to keep flexibility, stretching after is a must.

IDEA Fitness member
  • auroranflash
    Options
    Actually this has been recently found to be untrue if you do it before exercise.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10593217

However, if you want to keep flexibility, stretching after is a must.

IDEA Fitness member

Agreed, stretching cold muscles is not the best idea. However, a flexibility routine including dynamic stretching, yoga, etc is a must... you just have to be careful not to try to do the splits after working in an office all day. I'm not responsible if you do!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

10 minute Warmup?

that's fine. i'm more referring to 30-60 min running/treadmill/ellipitical type stuff.
  • DavPul
    Options

How is walking taxing the the CNS? Hell, even one session of ketllebell swings won't tax the CNS.

my bad. i didn't read the part where he said he was specifically talking about walking. or did he say he was doing a single session of kettlebell swings? wait, which one did he say he was doing?
  • DavPul
    Options

Well said.

excellently said. wait, what were we talking about?

i'm still looking for the part where he said we was going to do only moderate to low intensity cardio 3x a week, such as walking or a single session of kettlebell swings. because when most people on the planet say they are going to do cardio 3x per week, they are referring to 10 min warmups, slow strolls in the park, or single sessions of kettlebell swings. i'm playing the percentages here.
  • AntWrig
    Options

my bad. i didn't read the part where he said he was specifically talking about walking. or did he say he was doing a single session of kettlebell swings? wait, which one did he say he was doing?
    Cardio encompasses alot. You immediately went to the extremes. So, I provided examples of cardio that wouldn't tax the CNS.
  • AntWrig
    Options

Well said.

excellently said. wait, what were we talking about?

i'm still looking for the part where he said we was going to do only moderate to low intensity cardio 3x a week, such as walking or a single session of kettlebell swings. because when most people on the planet say they are going to do cardio 3x per week, they are referring to 10 min warmups, slow strolls in the park, or single sessions of kettlebell swings. i'm playing the percentages here.
    When people say they are doing cardio 3x a week. I am going assume they are a moderate to intense form of cardio to further increase a calorie deficit.

Then again, that has been my assessment.
  • DavPul
    Options

Cardio encompasses alot. You immediately went to the extremes. So, I provided examples of cardio that wouldn't tax the CNS.

i didn't try to go to extremes, but extreme is a relative term. fair enough.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I recommend you do Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength and follow the program schedule they set up. They will work for a long time.

This. Great full body workouts that will really add muscle. Make sure you are eating enough when you get on it!