Runner's HIGH

Options
who gets it, who loves it, who loves distance? How far into your run do you get it? Mine always kicks in around 40-45 min, no matter the speed...,

Replies

• rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly, mine kicks in immediately after the first mile. I usually dread doing the first mile (it's always the hardest), then I get into a great rhythm. It usually intensifies between miles 3-5 and lasts the rest of my run :)
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    When I first started, mine would kick in at 1 mile like clockwork! I wish it still did! Lol
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I broke my right wrist 6 weeks ago and was unable to do ANY activity until last Friday, when I got my hard cast off. OMG, you don't know runner's high until you are unable to run for so many weeks, then are suddenly able to go for it! Saturday I did an EASY 3-miler that left me with DOMS for a couple of days, but the endorphins ever since that run and yesterday's run nearly left me in tears, I felt so good. My poor kid and DH have had to live with my cranky butt since the injury. I'm sure they would tell you that the runner's high is no joke.

Now for my wrist to heal and strengthen enough for me to get back on my bikes...runner's high is nothing compared to cyclist's high, for this girl!
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... Just got a bike!
  • Run_Forever
    Run_Forever Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Usually it comes on early after a few km's. One thing I have noticed though, its way more internse in the summer when the weather is hot, for me anyways. I don't really get a runner's high when its freezing and there is snow everywhere.
  • Dynam1teDyna
    Options
    It's the BEST feeling. I get it after a great mile. The good Lord must love runners!
  • IrishSoul
    IrishSoul Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I do about 1 hour on elliptical with high resistance (about 6 miles) - and feel it after that, but...if I add 30+ minutes of jogging to that.... I definately have it.... it really mellows me out man... LOL
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I have no idea when I get it, but I notice it when I stop. I hate the end of a run, no matter the distance, it's never far enough (my favorite distances are 10-15 miles). I used to hate intervals, but now I realize I just don't like the stopping or slowing down in the middle.

It tends to last about 24 hours or so. "Rest days" are miserable, and don't even talk to me about injury. Heads roll. I'm a running junky.
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    OMG - it's awesome!! I get it at different distances depending on what else I've put my body through that day/week, but it almost always happens at some point and makes me feel awesome! Puts me in a great mood for the rest of the day :)
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Is it the same as an asphyxiated high?
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I get it after the first mile especially if I have great music! The feeling is so intense that I feel like I could run forever! If only I didnt have to make dinner and take care of the kiddos I would run for much longer, lol. I used to do it on fridays especially when the weather was great and the sun stayed out til 9pm, lol the kiddos would play at the park while I run and sometimes they would be finished playing and I would tell them ok one more time around, lol :laugh:
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    After I finish running -
    At the bar -
    Three beers in
  • heypurdy
    heypurdy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I love it!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    If it weren't for that "high" I wouldn't run as much as I do! haha I get it probably 15-20 minutes in on a good day. I get it at the Start Line at any race... whether it's for time or fun :)
  • clemsonsaint
    Options
    I run to get high. I usually get it after a mile or two.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have to get to about 1 hour before it kicks in. No better drug.
    who gets it, who loves it, who loves distance? How far into your run do you get it? Mine always kicks in around 40-45 min, no matter the speed...,
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Happens at different times for me...definitely depends on temperature....this morning it was 22 degrees and i didnt really get my runners high....i just got that great feeling when i was done of WOW I did it even though it was kick butt cold:)
  • RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Runners high? I used to jog on a fairly regular basis years ago, and have been doing 2 miles a day/5 days a week for the past 3 months, but I can't say I feel much more than tired. :) And occasionally sore in the knees. :(
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I get it on occasion, no predicting when it will happen. Just some days I go out & feel like I could run forever & everything is effortles. Maybe one out of every 10-15 runs?
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Oh do I know what you are talking about. It took me about a year to get over an IT band injury-which happened during my 6th marathon. I now stretch everything in my legs daily after working out, not before, and with perfect form. I just noticed an irritating pain in my arch when I get to about the 3rd mile. I now have to take a few weeks off- so I will be biking and swimming. Trying to stay positive and work around the injuries. To get fill in the rest days of no running- I do hot bikram yoga-starting to like it.
    I have no idea when I get it, but I notice it when I stop. I hate the end of a run, no matter the distance, it's never far enough (my favorite distances are 10-15 miles). I used to hate intervals, but now I realize I just don't like the stopping or slowing down in the middle.

It tends to last about 24 hours or so. "Rest days" are miserable, and don't even talk to me about injury. Heads roll. I'm a running junky.