Runner's HIGH

Options

Replies

• FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    The longer I go, the better it gets. I REALLY love the feeling after a nice long wall sit.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'm getting a runners high, but usually after 2-3 miles, I feel in a groove, where the running feels easy. For some reason, running is still a bit of a chore for me up until that point. Aside from my old knees hurting after every run, I usually feel pretty great afterwards. It's just the getting start part that's hard.
  • farmboyphotography
    farmboyphotography Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've been ramping up my fitness efforts since October. First cardio, then adding strength training in November, and running in January. I am doing intervals for now until I build up some endurance. Listening to everyone talk about this runner's high, I am intrigued. No idea what its like but curious. Looking forward to the day when I can say, "I run to get high!"
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    Runners high? I used to jog on a fairly regular basis years ago, and have been doing 2 miles a day/5 days a week for the past 3 months, but I can't say I feel much more than tired. :) And occasionally sore in the knees. :(

It sounds like you're just stopping before it gets good, or might not be going fast enough. I typically don't get much until I get into a 10 minute mile or faster, which is squarely in the "run" category for me. A "jog" for me is around a 12 minute mile, and it takes a long distance to feel good.
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    Oh yeah! For me I'd say it really kicks in around mile 4. I'm not particularly fast so that's probably around 38-40 minutes in.

I do a long run every week but it's not a huge distance. Ran my first half in October and right now I'm just trying to maintain a 9-10 mile base over the winter. Come spring I'd like to start bumping up my mileage again and aiming for getting up to 15-16 miles for long runs over the course of the summer. I still haven't decided when I want to train for a full marathon yet; probably not this year though so my goal is just to bump my mileage up some and I'd like to try some trail running. :)
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    I keep pushing waiting for that "runner's high" :cry: I am training for my second half marathon (in 2.5 weeks!) and a third in May...so I have put some miles in over the last year..but have never gotten this runners high....the only time it feels good is when I'm running a long run, slow and chit chatting with someone...but other than that it is a chore! But I keep plugging away...some day I will feel this "runner's high" :flowerforyou:
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great replies! I started getting sad like "there's GOT to be more runners on here!" .... For those of you who haven't gotten it yet, keep running! Oh, by the way, I absolutely LOVE trail running. It's got it's own unique high. I love that my instincts kick in before my body has time to hesitate!
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    When I'm out of shape, I get it around the first mile.

The more I run, I hit it close to the 3rd.

Either way, I LOVE IT. I wish there was a way to explain it but there isn't so lace up those sneaks and see for yourself!
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Seriously BEST FEELING EVER!! you dont klnow how much you miss it until you stop...I was running solid in 2010..completed a bunch of races..half marathon being the longest and I loved it..then life happened(illness, injury) and Im just getting back into it!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I get two different feelings.
    I get a weird, but pleasant tingly feeling all over at about 1 mile.
    And then somewhere around 4 or 5 miles I get a wonderful "high feeling".
    Some times (when I'm barefoot) I'm lost in that feeling and have to force myself to stop at 7 or 8 miles for fear of hurting myself by going too far.
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    After I finish running -
    At the bar -
    Three beers in

LOVE...Sadly I never get it so I always say the best part of a run is when it's done!!
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    It usually kicks in around mile 3 - 4 for me, which is a bummer right now because I haven't had a block of time where I can be out running for that long. :sad:

Come February, there will be time for it and I can't wait!!! :happy:
  • soniadelgada
    soniadelgada Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Best feeling in the world! It kicks in for me on my long, easier runs after about mile 5, so 50 minutes or so. Mile 5 through 8 are usually awesome and I feel like I can just keep going forever.
  • law1558
    law1558 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm new into running (again) - standard run is about 45-60 minutes. Most days, I stop feeling the "oh my God, I'm dying" panic around the end of mile 1, but those first few minutes can be drag! Once I'm in the zone, though, it's GREAT!

Good music is always helpful - I also find that when I have a lot on my mind, that's the best time to run! It's when life is going well and things are good that it's harder to get to that "happy place"!
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    The first ten minutes is always tough, and then it is easier...but I attribute that more to getting warmed up (particularly in this weather) than to any release of endorphins. Only time I felt it was once at the 18 mile mark when I had planned to do 18 and decided to do 20- I literally sprinted those last two miles. It killed me the next day- I could hardly move. Other than that, no runner's high for me. It's probably better that way :ohwell:
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Usually kicks in around mile 4-5 for me. I've actually had the tingly all over feeling several times, but usually that's about the point in my run where I feel totally in the groove and could go forever, the first mile or two tend to be more rough getting warmed up kind of miles. And of course I feel amazing after and am a much happier and patient mom after my runs! Looking forward to today's 5 mile run in in 5.5 hours!!
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I get it every once in a while - especially if I'm having a great race. I'm more likely to feel it if I'm trail running though - sometimes I feel like a kid playing in the woods and I could run forever.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... Just got a bike!
    Oh, do some "brick" workouts...now THAT high or the high after completing a duathlon....amazing! :love:
  • LMurrieta540
    Options
    Some runs are always better then others, but none the less I always feel great afterwards. I always get a runner's high when wearing something new, or trying a new route and diff during a race :)
  • tbogenrief
    tbogenrief Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    After I finish running -
    At the bar -
    Three beers in

This. :)