**Are Rest Days Necessary????**

Options
2»

Replies

• OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    YES -- your body needs them and if you dont take them burnout will happen fast!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    With a baby in the house, Rest is not an option, while it is necessary - it is not applicable.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hi all! My current routine is Body Pump Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday. I've started Couch to 5k (so running) I do that on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday. Do I need a rest day? No one can really give me a straight answer but the C25K says to only run three days and rest inbetween. I'm new again to running but I have been doing body pump for months now- I just don't want to get an injury and if my body needs rest I want to do so. THANKS!!!

I do Cardio & strength related work at a gym Mon, Weds, Fri and on a Tuesday and Thursday I typically do stretches and maybe a bit of Wii cardio fun games for no more than 15 mins.

On a Saturday I do nothing more than meander around town, and park my butt on the sofa to catch up with TV, games etc.

If you feel you absolutely can't live without rest between the C25K sessions, just do some stretching - a decent regime will still give you half an hour of activity and a calorie burn...
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    Along the lines of Rest vs Recovery (very good point), don't forget that "rest" and "recovery" are very person specific. What counts as rest and recovery for one person might be more than another person's "heavy" day. Personally, a "do nothing" rest day only made me jumpy when I got back in to running, so I'd take the dogs for a 2 mile jog (whereas my regular "workout" was a 4 mile run). Now I am able to push hard enough on heavy days that one rest day a week feels good to me. If I slack off, my feet get too itchy and I know what I've done.

So listen to your body, avoid injury, but go for it. Rest when your body says to.
  • ode3302
    Options
    Rest days are a very important factor in health and body development. An alternative is to create a "active rest day" where you do low intense cardio or focus your strength training on low impact movements, calf raies, forearm curls, etc.

Rest days make you stronger utilize that time to develop your mind read about fitness and the body.