How to get fit and loose weight without being an *kitten*.

Options

Replies

• janey2607
    janey2607 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    In that case i'm a self centered *kitten* who thinks of nothing but what I eat and when I am next running or at the gym but you know what? I prefer to be this way than my former overweight miserable self with very little self worth.

Great post and so true.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Great review and amazing job on being able to step away and see it from others perspective. I came to many of the same conclusions a few years ago and simply do not try to talk fitness with anyone that is not interested. And I must say, there really is nothing more annoying than someone who constantly talks about what they can and can't eat and how much they eat. Just do it and keep it to yourself. It seems some people do it more to impress others than just for their own health. Some people care, but the majority do not sadly.
  • Flips1980
    Flips1980 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ha! Loved reading this. I know I've fallen foul of openly apologising for what I order in a restaurant when I am amongst friends. It often then leads into a diatribe on my part as to why I am on a diet, not drinking and aiming to achieve some crazy fitness plan. Again, apologising every step of the way, in vain hope they don’t completely ostracise me from the social group given they haven’t considered lycra as being wearable attire since the 80s. Ironically, as you say, it often leads to persecution of "why are you putting yourself through all of that, you don’t need to do it, go on have a drink/chocolate", so you start to feel dejected by their lack of support for your vision of a better ‘you’. And thus the downward spiral commences….

So you're quite right, to avoid blips in the path to achievement & retain friendships in all shapes and sizes, best to keep the weight loss and fitness goals to yourself and yourself only, taking satisfaction in the results you attain!

Brilliant post!
  • rnprincess
    rnprincess Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Great advice
  • rnprincess
    rnprincess Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    5) When I am eating with other people, I just order what I want and eat it. Nobody cares. Its only when you start making a big deal over your diet choices that people get irritated.

Thanks for the post. Now that it is a New Year, I have the same co-workers as last year talking about the gym and eating, and points and it gets tiring because it only last a month.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    All are good tips to train by! Thank you for posting them!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    To top it off, I logged everything I ate or drank pretty much as it happened. People don't like it when you're at costa coffee typing in snacks to see which ones are acceptable in terms of calories. It doesn't help if you say 'I only want half a (insert cake) - do you want to share".

I do this, and my husband hates it. I love knowing the nutritional information of everything I'm putting in my body, as well as what I'm buring in my workouts. (I've recently taken up x-country skiing, and WOW- what a burn!) He's happy I'm being healthy, but he doesn't like how obsessed he thinks I've become with the numbers. I've learned to just not talk about it.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Thanks--I really needed this reminder!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Ha! Loved reading this. I know I've fallen foul of openly apologising for what I order in a restaurant when I am amongst friends. It often then leads into a diatribe on my part as to why I am on a diet, not drinking and aiming to achieve some crazy fitness plan. Again, apologising every step of the way, in vain hope they don’t completely ostracise me from the social group given they haven’t considered lycra as being wearable attire since the 80s. Ironically, as you say, it often leads to persecution of "why are you putting yourself through all of that, you don’t need to do it, go on have a drink/chocolate", so you start to feel dejected by their lack of support for your vision of a better ‘you’. And thus the downward spiral commences….

So you're quite right, to avoid blips in the path to achievement & retain friendships in all shapes and sizes, best to keep the weight loss and fitness goals to yourself and yourself only, taking satisfaction in the results you attain!

Brilliant post!

I think most friends/family want to be supportive - but you almost need to feed them the right opportunities - Just tell them when you reach your goal weight or target clothes size - they probably don't want to know each time you lost a couple of lb.

Having people who recognise the importance of the small victories you have along the way is important too. Celebrating the extra notch on your belt buckle, having to put your jeans on the hot cycle to shrink them down half a size, running your first km without stopping - these are great achievements... I just think that MFP is the right place to talk about them :)
  • Bex2Bslim
    Bex2Bslim Posts: 1,092
    Options
    Great post, thanks for sharing!!!
  • kcsaville
    kcsaville Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This is such a great topic! I know at some point, I have been on both ends of the spectrum and the receiving end can definitely get annoying. It seems like when people start a new healthy lifestyle and they are being successful at it, that's all they can talk about at certain times. Like you said in your post, the key is to know your audience. Not everybody needs to know, nor cares about your entire healthy lifestyle routine. People don't need to know what you ate, everytime you go to the gym or every detail of your workout that day. MFP is perfect for the ones that do want to know!
  • kcsaville
    kcsaville Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think most friends/family want to be supportive - but you almost need to feed them the right opportunities - Just tell them when you reach your goal weight or target clothes size - they probably don't want to know each time you lost a couple of lb.

Having people who recognise the importance of the small victories you have along the way is important too. Celebrating the extra notch on your belt buckle, having to put your jeans on the hot cycle to shrink them down half a size, running your first km without stopping - these are great achievements... I just think that MFP is the right place to talk about them :)
    [/quote]

Said perfectly!
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    In every work of genius we recognize our own rejected thoughts; they come back to us with a certain alienated majesty.

Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Self Reliance"

I recognize your genius!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I try not to be a preachy *kitten*, but casually throwing in some positive ideas can pay dividends. I mentioned at work that I'd tracked down the local council pool and gym, and a colleague joined be for a swim the next day. Now she and others are looking at trying some of the classes! No-one's offered to join me on a lunchtime run from my shower-free office yet, though...
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    This makes me glad that my wife does this with me.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have come to the realization that the people in my life who are not supportive of my new lifestyle, probbly don't need to be in it! Many don't get the "I can't go for dinner and drinks tonight, I'm going to the gym" but my husband and kids are supportive and doing everything they can to encourage me, so that is all that matters to me. In some cases, supportive friends are doing things to help me be successful. Such as letting me chose the restaurant when we do go out, or making sure there are healthier options available to me. THESE are the people that will be with me whether or not I am being an *kitten* in training. :huh:
  • slboling
    slboling Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I think that anyone who truly gets to losing weight or into a fitness regimine knows that it takes a complete focus. Therefore, it becomes all one talks about. Those that knew the old us can be disappointed in not being as much a part of our world. Some may also (deep-down inside) wish that they had the inner strength to do the same. I don't want to say that others are jealous. I would rather say that human nature is to critcize anything or anyone who is different rather than change or accept.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I think that anyone who truly gets to losing weight or into a fitness regimine knows that it takes a complete focus. Therefore, it becomes all one talks about. Those that knew the old us can be disappointed in not being as much a part of our world. Some may also (deep-down inside) wish that they had the inner strength to do the same. I don't want to say that others are jealous. I would rather say that human nature is to critcize anything or anyone who is different rather than change or accept.

well said!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    ...during the process of losing weight and getting fit its quite easy to appear to become a bit pompous...

I agree! I think that people who have ost a lot of weight can be even more sanctimonious than people who have quit smoking! I've told my friends who know of my weight-loss journey/struggles that if I ever get that sanctimoniopus please just SMACK me!

Great suggestions!
    3) Sometimes people will say things like "I wish I could run". 9 times out of 10 they do not want you to give them a training plan! Or tips! Or an invite a training session etc... I now handle this by saying "If you are interested in learning, send me an email and I will point you at some good articles".
    4) Same rules for "I wish I could loose weight"
    5) When I am eating with other people, I just order what I want and eat it. Nobody cares. Its only when you start making a big deal over your diet choices that people get irritated.
    6) Same for rule as 5 for drinking
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Cheers. I have found the hard way that attempting to share all of this with others IRL just tends to annoy them.