Why are so many women SCARED of weights? LMAO.

Options
15678911»

Replies

• CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Just curious…

At my gym I’m usually the only woman on the floor w/ weights, I’m the only one uses the Smith machine etc. All of the women are in classes (Zumba, Pilates…more Zumba). Guys are NEVER in classes (with the exception of the 2 or 3 that may go to the spin class). I don’t understand why classes (and the cardio machines) are always overflowing with women but it’s so rare to see one with a dumbbell.

Please explain.

Not all women wish to be muscular. They want to have smaller muscles and don't want them to grow. There is nothing wrong with that.

I have a lot of respect for women at the gym who lift heavy b/c it's very difficult to do. I often praise them for it b/c it's amazing to watch.

I hope those same women who I praise don't secretly make fun of me when I lift my 10 lbs dumb bells b/c I prefer a smaller physique for myself. I'm 18 % body fat and I have good muscle tone...I just don't want it to grow.

LOL
    x2......

Lifting heavy is not difficult.

We don't make fun of you we are too busy pushing our own weights up.

Lifting 10lbs for more than 10 reps will increase muscle ensurance it will not do what you think it's doing.

Woman who lift who are the same height and weight as those who do not lift are often smaller...

The visible muscle and low BF% comes from diet not lifting

Muscle wont grow unless you want it to, are eating at a surplus and lifting heavy...trust me it doesn't happen by accident.

As for the rest...yes women are scared of the weight area most of the time either due to lack of knowledge or misinformation.

But that being said the people in that area aren't going to make fun or squish you ...they are often very helpful or into their own workout.

to learn there are many options out there from starting strenght, strong lifts (book) and new rules of lifting for women (book) there are tonnes of youtube videos that show proper form and groups here that help as well.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of women (myself included at one point) are unsure of where to start or how to use the equipment and worried that they'll look silly if they have to ask for help (I have to admit, this was a big stumbling block for me!).

This is me! I don't even know where to start and I don't want to have to ask one of the guys in the gym. I do the weight machines but not free weight lifting.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I'm not

I love to lift and the muscles that I get from it. I also love to do cardio.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ugh zombie thread.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer weights to cardio, but when I first started resistance training, I used the machines because I didn't know proper form. I don't think women are scared so much as they don't know what to do, don't necessarily have someone to ask or have a partner.

I went from an all-women's gym with limited and dated equipment to a brand new co-ed gym, and some of the equipment I wasn't familiar with or knew which exercise was appropriate for that piece of equipment. Because I would have been the person doing curls in the squat rack, as we only had two heavy bars at my old gym and one rack that we used for everything. I honestly can't remember anyone even acknowledging my presence unless I asked them to move or if they were using something at the brand-new place. So yeah, working out alone, in an area full of groups who won't even make eye contact with you or give the "courtesy nod of acknowledgement" didn't exactly make me super excited to go workout.
  • luvschanel
    Options
    I love kettle bells , they are great ! If u want to loss and tone ....
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    ugh zombie thread.

Ah, damn, I responded as well. Saw the January 9 but forgot it was now 2014.
  • Gottagetfit4me
    Gottagetfit4me Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of women (myself included at one point) are unsure of where to start or how to use the equipment and worried that they'll look silly if they have to ask for help (I have to admit, this was a big stumbling block for me!).

^ Exactly how I feel. I don't know where to start. I want to start lifting in the worst way. I am scared because I am uneducated about form, reps ect. It’s intimidating … I’m sure after gettingstarted and pointed in the correct direction I will be more comfortable. For now,, I keep away because I am nervous about not doing things properly.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    ugh zombie thread.

Ha!

But it's hard to tell since these types of threads are so regular. I always forget to look before posting. :laugh:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Oh great. Just what we need. Another thread mocking women who don't lift heavy.

ETA: Crap! Zombie thread!
  • bethelles_now
    bethelles_now Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    a lot of women think that lifting will bulk them up....I use weights all the time, and I don't think it has made me any bulkier!
    ~Beth
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bethelles_now