Why are so many women SCARED of weights? LMAO.

Options

Replies

• Annie_Fannie
    Options
    <<< Im not scared anymore BUT I get why some people could be (not just women either) , like everyone has said it can be intimidating (especially if there are a lot of meatheads) and if you dont know form etc you could hurt yourself so that becomes daunting

Agreed! It is a matter personal preference for most and if a women does want to start lifting, they are afraid to ask for help or have no idea where to begin; therefore stay in their comfort zone.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    What if I drop it on my foot?

I dropped a 35pound weight on my foot. It did hurt. I was unloading it off the rack though and not actually lifting it and yeah, not paying attention. I've never dropped an actually working move on my foot. It doesn't work that way.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    One: no one will show me how to properly use them
    Two: the weight section is always flooded w/ guys
    Three: When I use the weight machines, I HATE the looks I get from the dudes there
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Person I am happy that way. Less people mean I don't have to wait when I am in the gym.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Because women have been told, from birth that they are weak.

Aww :hugs: I don't know who told you that but it makes me sad.

More so....women are told from birth that it's their *job* to be weak. I remember in church youth group, the youth pastor would ask "the guys" to help move tables together. I remember going off on him, and moving a table by my-damn-self and asking why he assumes that women can't lift a folding table. I embarrassed the crap out of him. My brother told me that I was disrespectful because "you don't speak to the youth pastor that way," and I responded, "He disrespected *ALL* women, and I'm sick of it."

Some women are afraid of being strong. They believe the myth that lifting weights makes you look big or "manly."
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It's not that I am afraid of weights or anything. It's more that I don't know how many reps to do, how to do the exercise, how much weight. My gym charges $50 for someone to show you. The other thing is when I do a class the instructor is there to follow. I do a body pump class which is weights in a group setting. I am trying to learn all of the weight exercises and then I will do free weights.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

The proper form for that is:

1) yell loudly "ma foot, ma foot!!!"
    2) pick up foot and grab with hands
    3) jump around while performing both 1 & 2
    4) lose balance
    5) fall over taking a machine with you, all while maintaining 1 & 2 and start alternating between "ma foot" and "ma head"
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Women should NEVER lift more than 3lbs

:wink:
    LOL is that you Tracy? You're hired, I need those 3 lbs to tone up my nose :laugh:
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Not scared of them, just find it so boring to do.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Originally I didn't bother with weights because they didn't seem to burn any calories! When I started losing weight two years ago (I'm a slow loser... okay. Don't judge me) my primary concern was calories in - calories out and weight lifting burned such a small amount that I didn't see the point. So I stuck with the cardio which on my HRM showed a huge calorie burn.

Of course now I understand that long term weight lifting WILL help you burn more. I just didn't know that then.

Please don't assume all women avoid weights because of fears of bulking. My reasons were much sillier then that thank you very much.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I was intimidated at first to go over to the weights area. I got over it. I did a lot of research about the most effective workouts and was already convinced strength training was the way to go. I'm not afraid of looking bulky. I've seen pictures of some awesome women who have worked hard obviously and look kind of ripped (but not bulky) and know that I don't necessarily even want to look like they do. But I'm pretty sure that's a body fat percentage issue - if I want to look a little softer, I think eating more would prevent that appearance, if I decide that's not for me. Ultimately, the benefits of being strong to my physical fitness plus the ability to eat A LOT is why I do it. I have a number of very slim 'skinny-fat' friends who loathe their flabby (though tiny) thighs and bellies, eat about 1200 calories a day and spend an hour or more doing cardio and don't understand why their bodies never change. I do not ever want to live like that again and I think strength training will allow me to avoid that.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I am scared of Zumba. You will never see me in a class at a gym of any kind. You MIGHT see me on a weight machine, but, this female prefers to work out alone, where she can concentrate on correct form and no one cares how she dresses.

I love my videos, I cycle alone, where I can be alone with my thoughts, concentrate, push myself or not, listen to my body. I do not need a gaggle of females or testosterone loaded men to inspire me, I just need the closet full of clothes I can't wear.

And I prefer weights over cardio any day, but the fact it that they just don't burn fat on me, so I have to do either cardio, or weights, or an all-over body routine (my favorite is cardio sculpt). Or I can add weight to tae bo, step aerobics or whatever.

Either way, I really don't see the point of having to GO anywhere to workout.
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options

4) lose balance
    5) fall over taking a machine with you, all while maintaining 1 & 2 and start alternating between "ma foot" and "ma head"

*dies* LOL
  • cecyvaquero
    cecyvaquero Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love doing weights but all the women that I know say "oh no I just don't want to bulk up and look like a man" I lift weights and I look very much like a woman. I lift weights and I do alot of other workouts including zumba and look I have lost 20 pounds. I have only 3 pounds left to lose until I weight what I weighed in high school.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Because women have been told, from birth that they are weak.
    Coming from a culture promoting machismo (male chuvinism), I've been raised with that idea but since I have a strong personality and a boyish attitude so I refused to accept their stupid ideology. You know what, I'm proud that I did it.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    It's not that I am afraid of weights or anything. It's more that I don't know how many reps to do, how to do the exercise, how much weight. My gym charges $50 for someone to show you. The other thing is when I do a class the instructor is there to follow. I do a body pump class which is weights in a group setting. I am trying to learn all of the weight exercises and then I will do free weights.

As mentioned before, Starting strength, Strong lifts, and New Rules of Lifting for Women are all great resources for your particular insecurities. I used NROL and loved it, the graphics are good, the theory in the book is good, and if you still have questions you can google or you tube any move. I am also a BP instructor. If you have quesitons on your form, pull your instructor aside for pointers on the moves you're doing in class. During training we are taught form, and during quarterly releases they promote the importance of form, hopefully you have an BP instructor who can provide you with pointers. Finally, if you are still unsure and can't afford 1 or 2 sessions with a trainer to check your form, you can always take a video while performing the move in the weight room and post it in the Bodybuilding forum on here asking for critique. I do this more often than not because I do some moves that the guys in my gym don't do. (eg snatches, hack squats - really any squats lol, hamstring raises, amongst others).

I also want to note that for safety reasons several of the moves that we do in bodypump are not the full range of the move you would do in the weightroom. for example, we simply call them deadlifts when in actuality they are more of a romanian deadlift.
  • healthymebetterme
    Options
    I've only got 2kg dumbbells but I love them! Once I've built up some strength I'll be getting heavier ones.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my strength training/weight lifting. :love: . I am inches slimmer than I was when I was at my healthiest weight, years ago.
  • louisvillejg
    louisvillejg Posts: 17 Member
    Options

4) lose balance

BUMP
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    Just curious…

At my gym I’m usually the only woman on the floor w/ weights, I’m the only one uses the Smith machine etc. All of the women are in classes (Zumba, Pilates…more Zumba). Guys are NEVER in classes (with the exception of the 2 or 3 that may go to the spin class). I don’t understand why classes (and the cardio machines) are always overflowing with women but it’s so rare to see one with a dumbbell.

Please explain.

Not all women wish to be muscular. They want to have smaller muscles and don't want them to grow. There is nothing wrong with that.

I have a lot of respect for women at the gym who lift heavy b/c it's very difficult to do. I often praise them for it b/c it's amazing to watch.

I hope those same women who I praise don't secretly make fun of me when I lift my 10 lbs dumb bells b/c I prefer a smaller physique for myself. I'm 18 % body fat and I have good muscle tone...I just don't want it to grow.

LOL